PDA

View Full Version : Australian Army in Joint Exercise with China's Army.

The Bigfella
11-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Its good to see that we are maintaining our equilibrium.

From Uncle Rupert's local paper:

THE Chinese military will conduct a joint rescue exercise with the Australian Defence Force in earthquake-prone Sichuan.
The move comes only a week after Beijing reacted angrily to the announcement the US would rotate marines through Darwin....

The Weekend Australian has learned Australian officials in Beijing briefed both the Foreign Ministry and the People's Liberation Army a day ahead of US President Barack Obama's announcement that the Australian government had agreed to have 2500 US marines stationed in Darwin.

Reaction was understood to be muted but one diplomat said: "China can take some time to digest things."

But despite the announcement by Mr Obama on his trip to Australia last week, there has been increased contact and co-operation between the Australian and Chinese armed forces in recent years, including a live-ammunition exercise off the Chinese coast last year, which caused inter-departmental ructions in Canberra.

Fifteen Australian army personnel, including a four-person medical team, will travel to China for the exercise next week, code named Co-operation Spirit 11 (CS11).

It will be held at a Chinese army rescue base about an hour outside the city of Chengdu, in the region where the devastating Wenchuan earthquake occurred in 2008, claiming 90,000 lives.

The project is a bilateral Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief planning exercise between the Australian Defence Force and the People's Liberation Army.

The exercise is based on an earthquake disaster response scenario in a fictitious third country, the Defence Department said.

"This exercise is an element of the defence international engagement with China and aims to enhance mutual understanding of respective approaches to a multinational HADR response in a third country," the department said

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-25-2011, 10:42 PM
China is jist sizing your guys up. They want to be the big kahuna in the South China Sea and are measuring up all contenders.

WX
11-25-2011, 10:47 PM
I have a friend in artillery, he's in the US at the moment playing war games with the Marines...so we are being balanced here.:)

seanz
11-25-2011, 11:00 PM
The exercise is based on an earthquake disaster response scenario in a fictitious third country, the Defence Department said.

Yeah, fictitious, made up, does not resemble any real country......right.

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/christchurch-earthquake-extra-chinese-workers-boos/1045751/

bobbys
11-25-2011, 11:29 PM
After seeing President Obama throw our allies under the buzz its a wise move to suck up.

Ho-ever nice to see the Aussies put on a brave face about it to the country that will overwhelm you in a week or so...

good thing your citizens are unarmed, less chance of being wounded in a fight before being enslaved.

And to think we will finance the whole operation....

Glenn is gonna rip me a new one when he reads this!

The Bigfella
11-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Unarmed? Did someone pinch my .308?

seanz
11-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Oh, bobbys, you lil' redneck scamp, you. Don't you know about Australia's secret weapon? In the late '70s Oz imported 200,000 Vietnamese and the Chinese have wanted to be friends ever since.

Horace
11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Unarmed? Did someone pinch my .308?Ian, where do you keep your firearms? (Hopefully, only momentary thread drift.)

The Bigfella
11-26-2011, 12:35 AM
In a very nice, very strong gun safe. Where do you keep yours?

JimD
11-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Ian, where do you keep your firearms? (Hopefully, only momentary thread drift.)
Now you've done it.

SamSam
11-26-2011, 12:37 AM
They are just maneuvering for future options on kangaroos, wallabies and didgeridoos.

Horace
11-26-2011, 12:48 AM
In a very nice, very strong gun safe. Where do you keep yours?Do I detect evasion? At home, or at a club?

The Bigfella
11-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Do I detect evasion? At home, or at a club?

I've never been evasive on this subject.

At home. Why? You don't want to publish my address do you? (that's a joke folks....)

Horace
11-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Just curious: I wondered what the custom in Australia was. And no.

Carry on.:)

skuthorp
11-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Not a question that should have been answered Horace, this is a public forum.

Horace
11-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Oh lordy. Read the exchanges carefully, beginning with #6. And if, on further reflection, BF wants to delete posts, I will follow his lead.

The Bigfella
11-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Nah... its fine. My gunsafe is pretty secure - there's a lot easier options for someone to go chasing weapons than trying to get anything here.

Horace
11-26-2011, 01:29 AM
Happy to make the whole exchange go away, nevertheless.

bobbys
11-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Unarmed? Did someone pinch my .308?.

http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac262/bobby53bucket/Top-5.jpg?t=1294809819

The Bigfella
11-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Nah... no problems. I'm a subscriber to gun safety.. and I take that further than the legal minimum.

seanz
11-26-2011, 02:50 AM
bobbys, that's a .303.......and stop nicking pics from the Australian War Memorial.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/A05402

carioca1232001
11-26-2011, 04:16 AM
bobbys, that's a .303.......and stop nicking pics from the Australian War Memorial.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/A05402

Unmistakably a .303, also known to the older chaps of South Asia - including Afghanistan - as 'teen-soh-teen' (teen=3, soh=100) !

Did Birmingham Small Arms also manufacture a .308 teen-soh-aaat (aaat=8) ?

Stiletto
11-26-2011, 04:26 AM

As long as you both stay out of NZ unless asked!

seanz
11-26-2011, 04:35 AM
Did Birmingham Small Arms also manufacture a .308 teen-soh-aaat (aaat=8) ?

Birmingham? Ishapore isn't the only armoury outside of the Motherland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithgow_Small_Arms_Factory
;)

The rifle in the pic is possibly Australian made.

Waddie
11-26-2011, 04:41 AM
China's long term aspirations focus more on economic exploitation then they do on military intervention, though they are building up naval power in order to secure those raw materials they are buying up. And military prowess is also a good way to intimidate reluctant suppliers into signing on the dotted line.

You can't really fault the Chinese for "taking a while to digest things'. They are, after all, surrounded with potentially hostile countries, so a certain amount of suspicion fostered by a little paranoia is understandable.

Given the history of the Australians, they seem capable of dealing with most kinds of threats. They have to possess a great amount of toughness to survive on such an inhospitable continent and being under the less then beneficent rule of the British for so long. They have weathered worse than this. In fact, considering how much they may benefit from the new mining tax (which will be paid mostly by the Chinese I've read) they may work the China connection to their own benefit.

regards,
Waddie

carioca1232001
11-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Birmingham? Ishapore isn't the only armoury outside of the Motherland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithgow_Small_Arms_Factory
;)

The rifle in the pic is possibly Australian made.

Sorry about that mate, although there is always a thing or two to learn on this forum !

Wiki says that the teen-soh aaat was developed in Ishapore soon after the India/China border clash of 1962. Uses the same ammo as the 7,62 NATO.

What distinguishes it from the teen-soh teen is the squarish-shaped magazine.

Paul Pless
11-26-2011, 08:20 AM
China is jist sizing your guys up. They want to be the big kahuna in the South China Sea and are measuring up all contenders.Contenders? the Australians???

spew!!!!

SamSam
11-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes. Along with big dose of glucosamine chondroitin.

carioca1232001
11-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Contenders? the Australians???

spew!!!!

The Vietnamese had the invading Chinese PLA leave their country in a hurry in 79.

Try and take over their (Ozzie/Enzed) breweries to see what awaits you !

The Bigfella
11-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Contenders? the Australians???

spew!!!!

Our women have successfully conquered every invading American warship since they laid the Great White Fleet bare in 1908. In fact it was that event that led to the formation of the Royal Australian Navy.

bobbys
11-26-2011, 03:47 PM

http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/A05402.

No doubt you schooled me on the rifle caliber but i have it on good authority this is what was playing ion the Gramophone,..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvOWox2o5cU&feature=related

Tylerdurden
11-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Our women have successfully conquered every invading American warship since they laid the Great White Fleet bare in 1908. In fact it was that event that led to the formation of the Royal Australian Navy.

Yeah they really did a number on my crew when we pulled into Sydney. No were else in the world did I see women throwing themselves at any warm American body like that. Even had the local radio station involved. I don't know what that says about Aussie men so I will leave that up to interpretation.

The Bigfella
11-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Yeah they really did a number on my crew when we pulled into Sydney. No were else in the world did I see women throwing themselves at any warm American body like that. Even had the local radio station involved. I don't know what that says about Aussie men so I will leave that up to interpretation.

Yeah, women everywhere suffer under pimps. We, unfortunately, have them too. Sorry they sent their whords after you too.

bobbys
11-26-2011, 04:04 PM
Lets leave the "Shirley's" out of this!

Tylerdurden
11-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, women everywhere suffer under pimps. We, unfortunately, have them too. Sorry they sent their whords after you too.

Really and they don't charge? No one on my ship paid.

PeterSibley
11-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Midnight flit eh ?

carioca1232001
11-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Really and they don't charge? No one on my ship paid.

Perhpas not in cash....but how about kind....or err.......kindness ?

Youll be surprised how the latter can see you through with our local girlies....in case of doubt, confirm with the (Republican) Pres candidate McCain who in his early 20s visited Rio aboard a US Navy vessel in the 50s !