PDA

View Full Version : Images of America in Crisis in the early 1970s

Soundbounder
11-24-2011, 05:05 AM
In November 1971, the newly created Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced a massive photo documentary project, called DOCUMERICA, to record these changes. More than 100 photographers were hired not only to document specific environmental issues, but to capture images of everyday life, showing how we interacted with the environment and capturing the way parts of America looked at that moment in history. By 1974, more than 80,000 photographs had been produced.

The National Archives has made 15,000 of these images available, and I've spent much of the past week combing through those to bring you these 46 glimpses of America in the early 1970s, with an eye toward our then-ailing environment.

The Atlantic

46 photos

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/11/documerica-images-of-america-in-crisis-in-the-1970s/100190/

Concordia...41
11-24-2011, 06:58 AM
That's a great collection of shots! And a good reminder that in some areas we've made dramatic progress, not so much in others, and that we must always keep a watchful eye.

Soundbounder
11-24-2011, 08:19 AM
That's a great collection of shots! And a good reminder that in some areas we've made dramatic progress, not so much in others, and that we must always keep a watchful eye.I was pretty young then, but I remember random dumps being fairly common.

suberix
11-24-2011, 08:43 AM
These "Atlantic" pictures are always great. Thanks for posting.

Soundbounder
11-24-2011, 09:34 AM
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab79/Soundbounder/1970atlantic.jpg

Garret
11-24-2011, 10:07 AM
All the "morans" who want to eliminate/curtail/emasculate the EPA should spend some time looking at those photos. But then maybe some of them like scenes like this:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/documerica111611/s_d37_A-555855.jpg

Thanks for posting the link!

Paul Pless
11-24-2011, 10:18 AM
All the "morans" who want to eliminate/curtail/emasculate the EPA should spend some time looking at those photos. I was just about to post something similar about the EPA being one of conservatism's and Nixon's greatest legacies. The photo of the battery disposal plant really got me. Today's Republican Party has lost its ******* mind. . .

Flying Orca
11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
I was just about to post something similar about the EPA being one of conservatism's and Nixon's greatest legacies. The photo of the battery disposal plant really got me. Today's Republican Party has lost its ******* mind. . .

That's what makes you one of the good guys, Paul: you get it.

Garret
11-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I was just about to post something similar about the EPA being one of conservatism's and Nixon's greatest legacies. The photo of the battery disposal plant really got me. Today's Republican Party has lost its ******* mind. . .

Yes it was & I agree with what Flying Orca said...

One thing I do not understand is how one can be "conservative" but be against conserving....

Bob Adams
11-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I agree the EPA is needed, the shameful thing is that corporations take the easy way out and just have the dirty process done offshore where they don't give a damn except $$$. The crap still goes into the enviroment, just on the other side of the world.

S.V. Airlie
11-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Bob ain't that the truth!

http://www.savingmounteverest.org/clean-up.html

Durnik
11-24-2011, 12:22 PM
One thing I do not understand is how one can be "conservative" but be against conserving....

Politically, 'Conservative' means "don't change who gets the profit (& who gets the shaft)".. any connection with 'conservation' is entirely incidental.. tho some conservatives wish to 'conserve' things that are important to them. The biggest difference betwixt conservatives & liberals is that conservatives tend to live in a black & white world (me, good - others, bad) while liberals live in a multi-hued world (there's good (& possibly bad) in all).. essentially, liberals tend more to think of other than themselves..

but you knew that..

IMHO, YMMV, YADDA

enjoy
bobby

Garret
11-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I did. ;)

The hypocrisy makes me nuts though.

Garret
11-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Good to know things like this are always one person's fault.

Soundbounder
11-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Guess what, she absolutely did nothing for Hood Canal

She is a well known Liberal.

Gregoire tackles Hood Canal mess

She asked lawmakers to approve $5 million to help finance sewer and storm water projects at Belfair and Hoodsport, pay for surveying failing septic systems, provide low-interest loans for property owners to fix failing systems and provide grants for managing animal waste and salmon carcass disposal problems.
Gregoire released $40,000 from her emergency fund so Mason County can begin septic surveys next month. Mason, Kitsap and Jefferson counties would share $470,000 for the surveying.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/mar/20/gregoire-tackles-hood-canal-mess/

2 (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2005/mar/20/gregoire-tackles-hood-canal-mess/)006 House Bill 3282 Hood Canal

Introduced by Rep. William Eickmeyer, (D-Belfair) (D) on February 1, 2006, to create the Hood Canal aquatic rehabilitation account for improvement on the Hood Canal. Money received from the sale or lease by the state of aquatic lands will be deposited in the account.

Signed by Gov. Christine Gregoire on March 31, 2006, to create the Hood Canal aquatic rehabilitation account for improvement on the Hood Canal.

http://www.washingtonvotes.org/2006-HB-3282

S.V. Airlie
11-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, I'm surprised that no one brought up the trash on Mt. Everest. I know it was off topic, but I also had this idea that those who loved and respected such a place, and who have written books on the beau ty of the region, could at the same time leave their merde behind.

Soundbounder
11-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Please choose one from each group

she absolutely did nothing for Hood Canal, in her first term, nor her second term so far, nor have I seen any movement to fix Puget Sound.

it did nothing bc it was to little After an initial flurry her efforts stopped.

And:

it's not a liberal or conservative thing, you can't judge a person by their self proclaimed title.

The Bigfella
11-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Amazing images.

wardd
11-24-2011, 06:39 PM
That's a great collection of shots! And a good reminder that in some areas we've made dramatic progress, not so much in others, and that we must always keep a watchful eye.

it was the golden age, ask a republican

BrianW
11-24-2011, 07:26 PM
Excellent series of pictures.

Too bad the usual's had to make this thread just another ugly political dumping ground.

ChrisBen
11-24-2011, 07:32 PM
From the same page, check out
A Trip to Bhutan
Bhutan, often rated as one of the happiest countries in the world, is the birthplace of the concept of "gross national happiness,"

A Trip to Bhutan - Alan Taylor - In Focus - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/11/a-trip-to-bhutan/100191/)

wardd
11-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Excellent series of pictures.

Too bad the usual's had to make this thread just another ugly political dumping ground.

which party wants to deregulate us back to that time?

those pics are a political statement, get over yourself

Durnik
11-24-2011, 07:38 PM
That is just hogwash.

Not exactly.

People, and who they vote for, are two different things. For instance, most people who vote republican have absolutely no idea what it is they are actually voting for & few, if any, 'liberal' politicians are as liberal as the people who vote for them. Keeping in mind, most politicians are conservative (as regards 'profit').. or they would never rise so far in a politically conservative country. Further, in a country which so greatly values 'profit' over 'quality' or 'cleanliness', it is (sadly) to be expected that the environment will suffer. Remember what Dubya said about Kyoto..

Further, there is an alarming tendency among humans to think that humans, in general, are more important than _anything_ else. Take Norm with his spray for mosquitoes, for a 'liberal' example.. My opinion is it comes from the judeo/christian thing of "gawd gave us the earth & animals for 'our' pleasure, use at will". Whatever the source, mankind, in general, behaves as if use/consumption (& yes, destruction) is his right.. & politicians say whatever they need in order to get the votes/power they crave.

Also, I said 'tend' & 'essentially', not 'absolutely' or 'only'.. my world is not black & white - see Pauls post (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?139949-Images-of-America-in-Crisis-in-the-early-1970s&p=3209665#post3209665) . Not to mention, the concept of DINO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democrat_In_Name_Only)'s.. but you didn't hear that here..

So, in general, my comments apply most accurately to Conservative politicians.. & liberal non-politicians.. say Neo-Cons at one extreme and Earth-Firsters at the other - with a very broad range in betwixt.

YMMV, IMHO

BTW, I am truly sorry that the cleanup promised did not materialize. One of my greatest grievances is being unable to safely enjoy wading & canoing in so many of the U.S.'s seriously polluted & trash encumbered waterways.

enjoy
bobby

peb
11-24-2011, 07:42 PM
And the population doubled since then. And it was blamed on too many people.

bobbys
11-25-2011, 03:42 AM
In November 1971, the newly created Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced a massive photo documentary project, called DOCUMERICA, to record these changes. More than 100 photographers were hired not only to document specific environmental issues, but to capture images of everyday life, showing how we interacted with the environment and capturing the way parts of America looked at that moment in history. By 1974, more than 80,000 photographs had been produced.

The National Archives has made 15,000 of these images available, and I've spent much of the past week combing through those to bring you these 46 glimpses of America in the early 1970s, with an eye toward our then-ailing environment.

The Atlantic

46 photos

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/11/documerica-images-of-america-in-crisis-in-the-1970s/100190/.

Lets see 100 photographers HIRED to "document", 80000 pictures taken, 46 chosen. Not much biased cherry picking there to paint a picture of environmental failure from 1973 to insert a political agenda to blast present day Republicans .

Meli
11-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Oh for goodness sakes.
politicians both left and right have no time (after a local election) and often do not give a rats ring about small local streams.even if they or their minions said otherwise before an election.
If you believe any politician is going to focus on a small local issue when they have a whole frigging state to look after, you are too naive to deserve a vote.
If you want something done locally, you organise locally and keep the pressure on the local guy/gal until it's done .

Waddie
11-25-2011, 04:23 AM
I agree the EPA is needed, the shameful thing is that corporations take the easy way out and just have the dirty process done offshore where they don't give a damn except $$$. The crap still goes into the enviroment, just on the other side of the world.

Bingo !! We have the correct answer. One of the primary reasons manufacturers relocated is lax or non existent environmental enforcement. It was easier and cheaper than cleaning up those industries here. And we were told that our "future" would be based on a "service" economy so we don't really want those nasty manufacturing jobs anyways. Every President over the past 35 years has signed "Free Trade" agreements that have very little concern for the environment, labor rights, or anything resembling "Fair Trade". The Germans took the opposite approach, and made a concerted effort to clean up their industries and became a country who exports 70% of GDP, with strict environmental laws and a well paid work force.

regards,
Waddie

Soundbounder
11-25-2011, 05:13 AM

Lets see 100 photographers HIRED to "document", 80000 pictures taken, 46 chosen. Not much biased cherry picking there to paint a picture of environmental failure from 1973 to insert a political agenda to blast present day Republicans .

It's unfortunate you feel threatened by these.
I thought it was a nice tribute to Nixon.

Happy Thanksgiving

BrianW
11-25-2011, 12:45 PM
which party wants to deregulate us back to that time?

those pics are a political statement, get over yourself

Ah, one of the guilty responds.

RonW
11-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Brian W -
Ah, one of the guilty responds.

Uhh me too...those where the good old days.......

BrianW
11-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Just for some balance...

Environmentalists say Obama reneges on promises
Environmentalists were incensed last month when Obama decided to delay tougher ozone air pollution standards until at least 2013. The president's decision threatens the health of children, the elderly and victims of chronic lung diseases, the American Lung Association said (http://www.lungusa.org/press-room/press-releases/failure-to-update-ozone-standard-outrageous.html).

Some of the president's supporters reacted harshly to the ozone standards decision, Gore who posted on his blog (http://blog.algore.com/2011/09/confronting_disappointment.html)that "Obama appears to have bowed to pressure from polluters" who fear the cost of following tougher air pollution standards.

... there's been a shift in what [Obama] campaigned on and what he has done -- most specifically in the area of climate change ...
Joseph Romm, ex-Clinton energy official

Gene Karpinski of the League of Conservation Voters (http://www.lcv.org/)-- which endorsed Obama in 2008 -- said the administration was "caving" to industry and the president's decision was a choice to "punt."

Former Obama campaign staffer Elijah Zarlin, who also was arrested at the protest at the White House, said the president is "missing an opportunity to lead this country in a better direction."

The White House insisted the delay wasn't political, but rather a need for further scientific study (http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/09/02/statement-president-ozone-national-ambient-air-quality-standards) before implementing new rules, which would have cost 7.3 million jobs by 2020, said the Manufacturers Alliance.

The American Petroleum Institute told the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904716604576546422160891728.html)t hat the White House is "beginning to understand that the regulatory burden does more to chill job creation than just about anything else out there."

The White House declined to directly respond to specific questions about Obama's environmental stance, but spokesman Clark Stevens, in a written statement for this story, strongly defended the president's record.

"In just a few years the Obama administration has put in place some of the most important public health protections since the passage of the Clean Air Act, achieved historic fuel economy standards that will save billions of barrels of oil and over a trillion dollars for families, while also expanding the clean energy economy, creating jobs, keeping America competitive, and putting our country on track to double renewable energy generation from sources like wind and solar in the president's first term," Clark wrote.

John Smith
11-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Politically, 'Conservative' means "don't change who gets the profit (& who gets the shaft)".. any connection with 'conservation' is entirely incidental.. tho some conservatives wish to 'conserve' things that are important to them. The biggest difference betwixt conservatives & liberals is that conservatives tend to live in a black & white world (me, good - others, bad) while liberals live in a multi-hued world (there's good (& possibly bad) in all).. essentially, liberals tend more to think of other than themselves..

but you knew that..

IMHO, YMMV, YADDA

enjoy
bobby
I don't think it's that simple. Of the Republican "bent" people I know, some are old time republicans who are aware of the EPA's good work. Sadly, we have another breed of conservative who is not aware, and will be be aware, because they are Fox News and Rush Limbaugh addicts.

It is not "free speech" to lie for political gain, although we have come to accept it as such.

When I tell people that rivers caught fire, they simply don't believe it.

We have a bigger picture here: too many are convinced that all government regulations are bad and all tax increases are bad because a well funded government is better able to regulate.

The EPA is an excellent example of how government regulations come into being in response to a perceived need. It's really that simple.

John Smith
11-25-2011, 01:15 PM
That is just hogwash.

I was a young adult in those times.

I remember Hood Canal, at that time, it was one of the best sport fishing spots in the lower 48 for salmon. No commercial fishing allowed. Then in the late 70's commercial fishing was opened. Short on the heals of that decision came the Bolt Decision. By the late mid 80's you couldn't catch a salmon on a sport pole.

Fast forward to the election of our current Governor, former head of the WA. EPA(side note, I built her office). One of her Campaign promises of her first election was Hood Canal will be a dead zone, if something is not done. I will fix that.

4 years later, next election cycle Puget Sound has big problems, I will fix that.

Guess what, she absolutely did nothing for Hood Canal, in her first term, nor her second term so far, nor have I seen any movement to fix Puget Sound.

LloydI cannot speak to Hood canal. I can, however speak to the waters I grew up boating on. When I was very young, you could fish and swim. I lived to see them polluted to the point the fish couoldn't swim, and I lived to see the fish swim again.

As with all else, the EPA is not perfect, but I doubt we could live in this country today if there was no EPA.

beernd
11-25-2011, 01:31 PM
WOW,
what a blast from the past. I vividly remember the struggle evironmentalist had to convince society to stop all that polution.

In Holland the scandals were unbelievable, I remember hundreds of drums with some poison or acid wre simply buried in a field. And the "Volger meer polder", later known as the poison polder, was only "neutralized" (not sanitized) after a batlle of decades between environmentalists and the city of Amsterdam,trying no first deny the problem, and later when the ugly truth became to obvious, trying to downplay it and drag their feet to avoid paying for a solution.

I think it is very good when all of us are from time to time remembered, and appreciate the things enironmentalists have achieved. Ecologicly they have saved the world from going to the dogs.

beernd
11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
This is true but even a country like China starts to realize that something has to be done.