PDA

View Full Version : Octopus walking on land!

James McMullen
11-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Check out this amazing video that demonstrates why we should all be very frightened for when the dread and mighty Cthulhu finally wakes up. If even his lowly mortal spawn is capable of such feats, what possible chance does humanity have? They already rule 70% of the planet. . . .now there will be nowhere left to hide!

http://youtu.be/FjQr3lRACPI

S.V. Airlie
11-21-2011, 04:15 PM
And the Walking catfish bites the dust. At night goes from pond to pond. Remember that fish?

David G
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Very cool. I've never seen one wander around on shore like that. Pretty awkward compared to how they move in the water. When I used to dive on the N. coast of Oregon, I'd see them occasionally. They moved like a combination of ballet dancer and Slinky. Had small ones wrap themselves around my hand & arm a couple of times. That's kinda cool, but some older, more experienced, divers told me once that they'll bite sometimes, and quite hard. I stopped shaking hands with 'em.

Osborne Russell
11-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I once saw a crab scramble backwards up onto a rock about 6 inches above the water. A few seconds later, an octopus came up after him completely out of the water. After a bit of staring the octopus threw out one of his side tentacles (still climbing with the two front ones), wrapped it around the crab's main claw right at the base, and popped it off with a audible pop. Yow!

Peerie Maa
11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
Not a great video of Otto crossing to a tank full of crabs in the Sea Star Aquarium in Coburg, Germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=dvv537vye8U

purri
11-22-2011, 06:25 AM
where's the mud shark?

Tylerdurden
11-22-2011, 06:36 AM
Been happening for a long time. Octopus have always walked on land. They are called Bankers here on Terra Firma.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Octopuses have three hearts, two of which deal with their gills, but their circulatory system relies on haemocyanin not haemoglobin (they really are blue blooded!) and is about 25% as efficient as that of a mammal, so they cannot keep up sustained exertion for long.

Y Bar Ranch
11-22-2011, 07:51 AM
I've been like that after a long night of pub crawling

S.V. Airlie
11-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Octopuses have three hearts, two of which deal with their gills, but their circulatory system relies on haemocyanin not haemoglobin (they really are blue blooded!) and is about 25% as efficient as that of a mammal, so they cannot keep up sustained exertion for long.I thought only royals were blue bloods ACB..:)

As far as blue blooded..Don't forget the horseshoe crab....

Canoez
11-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Does that make it a Walktopus? ;)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-22-2011, 08:50 AM
They can tolerate being out of the water for quite a while; I once saw one hop down from a fishmonger's slab and make a break for freedom...

Concordia...41
11-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Gonna be hard NOT to think about that when I go to bed tonight :eek::eek:

Eeeuuuucchkkkkkkkk!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-22-2011, 08:55 AM
In that case I suggest that you don't think about the giant Pacific octopus, with tentacles ten feet long, weighing up to three hundred pounds...:rolleyes:

Actually I find them creepy, too.

Blowtorch
11-22-2011, 09:05 AM
They are really smart too. Well smart for fish. I dont think Id want one to help with my trig homework.

The squids and the cuddlefish are really cool too. What do they call that family? Athrorpods?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Cephalopods. Literally "brain-feet". The received wisdom is that they began as ordinary molluscs, with spiral shells, as the prehistoric ammonites, and somewhere along the line they evolved into predators, with an increase in brain size, and lost the shell, as they found they could hide in odd holes and crevices. They usually have a "lair" that they retreat to to eat their prey. The nautilus is reckoned to be a primitive octopus.

TomF
11-22-2011, 11:18 AM
Octopuses have three hearts, two of which deal with their gills, but their circulatory system relies on haemocyanin not haemoglobin (they really are blue blooded!) and is about 25% as efficient as that of a mammal, so they cannot keep up sustained exertion for long.I was hoping it would find its way back into water at the end of the video clip.

David G
11-22-2011, 11:57 AM
As a youngster, I found them creepy. There was one in the local aquarium (Seaside) that I found chillingly scary. As a teenager, I started diving, and met some little ones. Now I just find them fascinating, and mostly a bit friendly.

ACB is right, though, I wouldn't want to meet a big one in a dark alley!

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Four legs good
Two legs bad

EIGHT LEGS! -

JimD
11-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Been happening for a long time. Octopus have always walked on land. They are called Bankers here on Terra Firma.

I thought bankers were more closely related to squid.

Y Bar Ranch
11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
...and the cuddlefish...
Freudian slip?

Concordia...41
11-22-2011, 12:39 PM
In that case I suggest that you don't think about the giant Pacific octopus, with tentacles ten feet long, weighing up to three hundred pounds...:rolleyes:

Actually I find them creepy, too.

Well aren't you just a big help???!!! ;)

coelacanth2
11-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Typically Ozzie - most poisonous cephalopod lives there.
Awful lot of critters there are pretty toxic.

Must be why the girls are cute, to make up for it?

SamSam
11-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Why do they walk on land?

SamSam
11-23-2011, 08:10 PM
It didn't look like anything was accomplished. He didn't steal any hubcaps or anything and it looked like a real struggle to get around, he was lucky to remember where the water was and make it back. What's the purpose? Was he streaking us?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-24-2011, 12:51 AM
I wondered that, too. Must have been low on oxygen by the time he got back.

David G
11-24-2011, 01:02 AM
In my brief acquaintances with octopi, they seemed quite curious and inquisitive. Maybe he was exploring? Maybe he lost a bet?

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
11-24-2011, 11:06 PM
It didn't look like anything was accomplished. He didn't steal any hubcaps or anything and it looked like a real struggle to get around, he was lucky to remember where the water was and make it back. What's the purpose? Was he streaking us?

He was sick of the voyeurs. It's like when you see celebrities charge the paparazzi. "You want a picture!?! I'll give you a picture!!!1"

SamSam
11-24-2011, 11:27 PM
He was pretty red so I suppose he could have been striking out in a violent rage. It's good he had no weapons, just think of the mayhem he could cause with 8 knives or pistols.

johnw
11-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Octopuses have three hearts, two of which deal with their gills, but their circulatory system relies on haemocyanin not haemoglobin (they really are blue blooded!) and is about 25% as efficient as that of a mammal, so they cannot keep up sustained exertion for long.Yeah, but they've got more of it. From Wiki:

Because of the large size of hemocyanin, it is usually found free-floating in the blood, unlike hemoglobin, which must be contained in cells because its small size would lead it to clog and damage blood-filtering organs such as the kidneys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney). This free-floating nature can allow for increased hemocyanin density over hemoglobin and increased oxygen carrying capacity. On the other hand, free-floating hemocyanin can increase viscosity and increase the energy expenditure needed to pump blood

Perhaps we should just yield to the inevitable.

http://bookstoysgames.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/cthulhu4prez-preview1.png

beernd
11-25-2011, 05:10 PM

Would you please refrain from insulting squid?

What have they done to you that they deserve to be compared to bankers?

pefjr
11-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Not starting any rumors, but in the 70's we had several sailboats found abandoned empty of crew in the Bermuda Triangle. No crews were aboard and no blood shed. This coincided with a population explosion in giant Octopus. A theory surfaced that the boats were caught in the doldrums of the Sargasso Sea, and during the night feeding times the giant octopuses would pull themselves aboard and feast on the crew while they were sleeping. Be careful out there, especially sleeping on deck after midnight.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Yikes! :!

Keith Wilson
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I've always thought it was very lucky for us that cephalopods never evolved to live on land. WAY smarter than other invertebrates.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-25-2011, 09:54 PM
Another case of convergent evolution - "a good brain is a better protection than a shell"...

PeterSibley
11-25-2011, 10:23 PM
The Kraken Wakes .

Keith Wilson
11-26-2011, 12:04 AM
"a good brain is a better protection than a shell"...And with a good enough brain, you can build your own shell.

http://hale.nrsd.net/images/armor.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110205024225/turtledove/images/9/93/Chutnk.jpg

David W Pratt
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
I thought it was interesting that it seemed to move "backwards" in the water they move trailing their big sack, he was leading with it.

Gerarddm
11-27-2011, 12:32 PM

...you mean the sucking vampire kind? ;-)

Some years back there was a cool TV show about how lifeforms would/could evolve on Earth if humans disappeared. They went through several tens of millenia. At the show's end the producers postulated the next intelligent life form to evolve would be land-based decendants of octopii. The last mammal was a tiny rodent kept and bred in captivity and used as food by giant spiders.

Paul Girouard
11-27-2011, 01:16 PM
How "smart" would he have looked if a seagull had been there instead of people?