PDA

View Full Version : Small plywood and pine childrens boat.

Winetaster
10-14-2000, 10:49 AM
About 35 years ago my father built a small boat for my son. For five or six years it was his favorite summer plaything. Eventually dry rot and a lack of maintainance led to "Death by chainsaw." The boat was based on one sheet of 1/4 or 3/8 inch 4 ft x8 ft plywood and about 32 running feet of clear grain 3/4 inch x 8 inch, good 4 sides white pine. The punt Had a bluff bow and a square stern with two cross seats and (I think) 3 or 4 frames (less bow piece and stern).
I now have four grandsons of appropriate ages, no plans, and no unusual skills as a boatbuilder, but would like to replace that craft for them. I am sure it would be easier with some kind of plans. I think my father built it from Mechanic's Illustrated or Popular Science or some other magazine of the mid 60's era.
Now, at long last, to my question. Does anyone out there have any idea what plans or ??? are available, keeping total ease of construction in mind? Thank you.

Bob Cleek
10-14-2000, 01:21 PM
I'd suggest you check out the El Toro. It comes close to what you are describing and may well have been. It's not a "Popular Mechanics" boat, but a very popular class racing pram. Easy to build and plans available. They've got to have a web site. Half the guys in here learned to sail in one, I'll bet. The best kid's boat ever... and you can play with it yourself as well!

dngoodchild
10-15-2000, 09:12 AM
The URL will take you to the page where you can see my 9-year old nephew building his boat. It's Herb McLeod's OSS (One Sheet Skiff) and as said it is built from one sheet of plywood. Note that Alex built the boat! With a little help from me. It's much better if you let the boys do it; they will appreciate it much more. You can also add their experiences to Herb's OSS page and that will give them an even bigger charge; I know it did for Alex. At the bottom of Alex's page is the link to the hope page for Herb and other examples of the OSS. You can also download the plans.

Cheers
http://www.planet.eon.net/~hmcleod/alex.htm

Winetaster
10-15-2000, 11:21 AM
Thank you, first to Bob Cleek, whom you may recall, a month or four ago I thought must be dead. Thank God he's not. My son and I have an Albacore and a Laser which are both excellent sail craft but both a bit advanced for grandsons ranging 4 to 9. Thanks anyway and good to hear from you.

Special thanks to D. N. Goodchild and to Alex.
The One Sheet Skiff looks very much like what I had in mind. I printed off the plans and will start to assemble stuff. Building should start in the spring and I will let you know how our Alex, Gerrett, Peter and John, with my help, make out.
Special thanks again.

Ron (winetaster)