PDA

View Full Version : Say goodbye to GE xray plant

John Smith
11-21-2011, 08:04 AM
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/ge.asp

GE, as I recall, paid NO taxes last year.

However, I'm sure they provided health insurance for their employees and matched funds for several payroll deductions.

The United States we old timers grew up in is history. If we want to get it back, we're going to have to be willing to pay personal income taxes at pre-Reagan levels.

I would remind all that GM started moving plants in the late 70's. The film "Roger and Me" shows the devastation this caused to Flint Michigan. The film was released in '89.

There exists at least a strong correlation between Reagan cutting the tax rate in half and the debt and deficit becoming a problem. We also had a relaxing of bank oversight which led to tax payer bail out of the Savings & Loans.

These are the chickens that have come home to roost.

Some will blame this on Obama. Obama passed his healthcare reform. Most of the anti-obamacare statements have so far proven to be false. Obama passed a (in my opinion too small) stimulus. His opponents say it failed. Maybe? How can we know without knowing where we'd be without it. We do know Perry and other governors created some jobs with it.

Paul Pless
11-21-2011, 08:21 AM
things are connected to other things. . .

boatbuddha
11-21-2011, 08:31 AM
The real problem is US trade policy. If you look at the US Harmonized Tariff schedule you'll notice that in general we have very low tariffs on imports. China on the other hand has much higher tariffs on imports and a variety of protective measures requiring companies to build things for China in China and foreign firms to partner with Chinese firms. But god forbid the US raise tariffs, it'll be Smoot-Halley all over again ignoring the fact that Smoot Halley was a disaster because the US was a net-exporter at the time and those days are long gone.

RichKrough
11-21-2011, 08:33 AM
I live just down the road from GE's Global Research facility in Schenectady NY, I can look out my shop door and see it, The irony of my little hole in the wall business paying more taxes than the behemoth across the street doesn't escape me. On the other hand GE provides a helluva lot of high paying jobs in my community and those folks are a significant portion of my client base. GE has been increasing employment in this area with a sodium battery manufacturing plant and additions to the research center. I'm seeing a lot of vehicles around my 'hood with license plates from other states.

John Smith
11-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I live just down the road from GE's Global Research facility in Schenectady NY, I can look out my shop door and see it, The irony of my little hole in the wall business paying more taxes than the behemoth across the street doesn't escape me. On the other hand GE provides a helluva lot of high paying jobs in my community and those folks are a significant portion of my client base. GE has been increasing employment in this area with a sodium battery manufacturing plant and additions to the research center. I'm seeing a lot of vehicles around my 'hood with license plates from other states.

Business creates jobs and rich people.

Paul Pless
11-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Business creates jobs and rich people.Dangitall. If there were only a way to keep business from creating rich people things would be just peachy.