PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Bird Count 2011

S.V. Airlie
11-20-2011, 08:12 AM
Dec. 14th. A good time to be out..a worthy endeavor. Hope some here will vol. to take counts. Much of the data is used by scientists to track populations nationally and are important in determining declines/increases of those populations and ranges for specific species. A worthy day and a fun one..For info: Contact the National Audubon Society in your area..

S.V. Airlie
11-20-2011, 08:24 AM
You going to join me Donn?If so, I'll notify the national media.My even get your picture in the National Enquirer. To heck with the local stations.

Heck, a little publicity from the media is not such a bad idea. If my going out draws media attention, may be the Bird Count (Audubon) will get some as well.

Mrleft8
11-20-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm holding my first annual squirrel count here.... Everyone is invited! Bring your own gun....Only dead squirrels will be counted.

S.V. Airlie
11-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Make it a shot gun Doug..Your aim isn't too good.

Spin_Drift
11-20-2011, 01:03 PM
We don't have to go far. A lot of Stellar Jays and Chickadees are coming to our feeder. Even pheasants feed under it. Gonna buy a 40 pound sack of cracked corn for the pheasants.

S.V. Airlie
11-20-2011, 01:55 PM
Ah but Spin..The owl count..Getting up at 4am knocks the heck out of seeing a few pheasants. Nothing against pheasants of couse not being a native species but....:).

Mrleft8
11-20-2011, 02:09 PM
We don't have to go far. A lot of Stellar Jays and Chickadees are coming to our feeder. Even pheasants feed under it. Gonna buy a 40 pound sack of cracked corn for the pheasants.
Enh..... Let them eat cake... :D

S.V. Airlie
11-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Enh..... Let them eat cake... :DWith Tarzan on the prowl, getting a chance to eat cake is questionable, unless he is real quiet..:)

PhaseLockedLoop
11-20-2011, 02:33 PM
There was a huge flock of starlings here yesterday, filling up several trees. I spooked them, then fired off a shot with my 18 megapixel camera. I printed a huge enlargement, and now I can check them off one by one. I'm up to 538, with lots still to go. I don't know how they did bird counts in the old days...

Oh, wait..

purri
11-20-2011, 06:42 PM
^ like you do a plankton count?

SMARTINSEN
11-20-2011, 07:00 PM
The Christmas Bird Count is a big thing here on the Eastern Shore where we have great flocks of water fowl from points further north settling down for the winter, our fields being for the most part not generally snow-covered.

S.V. Airlie
11-21-2011, 10:17 AM
The Christmas Bird Count is a big thing here on the Eastern Shore where we have great flocks of water fowl from points further north settling down for the winter, our fields being for the most part not generally snow-covered.Always have had a good turn out on the Eastern Shore..