PDA

View Full Version : Fingers and sharp spinny stuff

Bill R
11-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Just as a reminder... They don't mix well.

I screwed up this afternoon and was rewarded with a big chunk taken out of my left pointer finger, right at the base. Back of the finger and bone-deep. Fortunately, it seemed to miss the bone, tendon and other vital parts, and my DIY repair job seems to be holding, although still leaking a little. If it doesn't stop leaking soon, I will need to break down and head to the urgent care for a few stitches.

I lost focus for just a second. I am mid-production run of floor lamps (I don't like production line work, and like these lamps even less, but that's what the client wants) and was in the middle of cutting a bunch of the same little pieces on my CMS. Lost my train of thought for a fraction of a second and somehow managed to get the back of my finger in contact with the still spinning blade.

Pisses me off since I KNOW BETTER. :pmad: I just got complacent in the middle of a long string repetitive operations.

Just a reminder. THINK, and WATCH blades and body parts.

Paul Pless
11-19-2011, 04:05 PM
yikes!

Meli
11-19-2011, 04:22 PM
it's also good to take frequent short breaks from long boring repetitive tasks with sharp spinny things.:)
Pepper is good to stop the leaking, hurts like hell though.

McMike
11-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Ouch!!!! Heal quickly.

wizbang 13
11-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Be glad it wasn't your middle finger!
red pepper will stop bleeding AND stop a heart attack.
http://healingtools.tripod.com/cayemerg.html

Jim Ledger
11-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Go and have it taken care of, cleaned out, tetanus shot and stitches.

My two cents.

Chris Coose
11-19-2011, 06:13 PM
Last winter I was alone high up on pump jack staging. It was blowing and about freezing temperaturs. Caught across the top of my right ring finger just above the big knuckle on a spinning cut off blade. I was coffeed up and light on breakfast. Bleed! Had to unhook the harness and climb through a smallish window with big clothes on. All wondering whether I would remain erect. Lashed her down good and after a while it stopped weeping. What a mess. Kinda glad it finished the day for me and the weather began to warm.
I'll leave that cold weather work to the younger guys.
What I'm saying is I learned what I needed to.

Paul Pless
11-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Go and have it taken care of, cleaned out, tetanus shot and stitches.

My two cents.But only after telling us how well the red pepper worked.

Meli
11-19-2011, 06:31 PM
red pepper, finely ground black pepper.
Old restaurant trick. saw an apprentice slice the pad of his thumb on a meat slicer once. Chef grabbed his hand and stuck it in a bowl of fine black pepper it sort of crusts the blood. wash it off when bleeding stops and keep sharp eye out for infection.
this is for large but shallow slices, deep wound get it stitched. :D

Mrleft8
11-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Got myself with a brandy new brad point bit 3 years ago..... Bled like a stuck pig, took forever to heal, and even before I got the Lyme disease related neuropathy, it went numb on me.... But a kind of painful numb.
Dumb as a box of doorknobs of me, but like you, Bill.... I was doing boring, repetitive stuff, and I just wasn't paying attention.

Paul Girouard
11-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Ouch!! Don't do that any more !!

sailboy3
11-19-2011, 07:31 PM
ooooof, hope it heals quickly. I scrolled down very slowly when I opened this: thanks for refraining from posting pictures.

Tylerdurden
11-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Jeezus Bill, Slow down man! Hope your all better real soon

Phillip Allen
11-19-2011, 07:34 PM
he's alright folks... no pics

isla
11-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the heads up Bill. It's sooo easy to get complacent when you use the tools every day. I sometimes think that beginners are safer because they are a little bit scared of the tools, so they take extra care. Get that finger looked at soon, tetanus is definitely not good.

Shang
11-19-2011, 07:52 PM
'...Pisses me off since I KNOW BETTER. I just got complacent in the middle of a long string repetitive operations.

Just a reminder. THINK, and WATCH blades and body parts...'

Thanks, Bill. We all get careless when we shouldn't.

Eddiebou
11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
An acquaintance of mine recently lost his ring finger. Seems he was in a tree stand that gave away, his wedding ring got caught in something and cut into his finger enough to allow it to rip the skin away from his palm/hand. His finger broke off at the first knuckle. EEEEOOUUCHHH! This is kind of hard to imagine. Skin is tough.
BE CAREFUL, STAY SAFE.

StevenBauer
11-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I had a run-in yesterday with a big old rotary hammer. Like this one:

https://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English%20%5BUS%5D/t06/0000003/r03275v14.jpg

I was under a porch rushing a little cause it was starting to get dark. I was drilling through 15" of concrete foundation and the bit caught and the drill swung around and caught me under the chin driving my head up into the porch floor joists. Ouch! Six stitches in the chin, a tetanus shot and some Hampshire Special Ale therapy and all's well now.

You've got it right, Bill. Be careful with the spinney things.

Steven

Chris Coose
11-19-2011, 09:26 PM
Jesus Steve! I suppose one way or another that thing could have swung you in between the joist so's to strangle you. Bad enough as it was.

Paul Girouard
11-19-2011, 11:01 PM
An acquaintance of mine recently lost his ring finger. Seems he was in a tree stand that gave away, his wedding ring got caught in something and cut into his finger enough to allow it to rip the skin away from his palm/hand. His finger broke off at the first knuckle. EEEEOOUUCHHH! This is kind of hard to imagine. Skin is tough.
BE CAREFUL, STAY SAFE.

I caught my wedding ring coming down a boarding ladder on a Prowler one night, I didn't do any damage , but I never worn a ring since that night. What a way to lose a finger, aguahhh!!!

Paul Girouard
11-19-2011, 11:04 PM

I was under a porch rushing a little cause it was starting to get dark. I was drilling through 15" of concrete foundation and the bit caught and the drill swung around and caught me under the chin driving my head up into the porch floor joists. Ouch! Six stitches in the chin, a tetanus shot and some Hampshire Special Ale therapy and all's well now.

Guess the rush was off after it kicked yer butt! 1/2" drill motor with a hole saw another a$$kickin waitin ta happen!! Glad yer OK, ale therapy ain't all bad eh!

David G
11-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Bill,

Most of us who work regularly with power tools manage it at least once. Hope yours heals up quickly and well!

Willin'
11-19-2011, 11:58 PM

https://mdm.boschwebservices.com/MDMCache/English [US]/t06/0000003/r03275v14.jpg

You've got it right, Bill. Be careful with the spinney things.

Steven

HSA will do, but my new medication of choice is Thumper Double. It might be overkill for your little scratch though, Steven, (wink).

And since this thread has drifted completely away from sympathy for Bill (sorry to hear of your pain, but glad you're all right, Bill), I was opening oysters 2 nights back when the 10th of 12 shells crumbled, buried the damn oyster knife to the bone just below my left thumb, causing no end of concern for what type of pathogenic smegma may have been introduced subcutaneously, but, fortunately, aside from a lot of blood spatter and a nasty gash, all seems to be well. This painfull wound requires gin.

Geno
11-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Dremel once, circular saw once, motorcycles about a hundred times and a flat chute once.

I claim often that I have learned to pay attention but I am not so sure when recounting what/when/where happened.

htom
11-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Jim's right, go get it cleaned. You don't want to risk an infection that deep. That's how my accident happened, repetitive boring work, cutting the parts for the twentieth and last chair.

Waddie
11-20-2011, 02:20 AM
Be glad it wasn't your middle finger!
red pepper will stop bleeding AND stop a heart attack.
http://healingtools.tripod.com/cayemerg.html

Sorry to hear about the accident, and thanks for the heads-up!!

I always wonder who first tried out these home remedies and under what circumstances...

I mean, did somebody say, " Oh God, I'm having a heart attack - quick, let me taste some red pepper before I croak!!!

or, "Oh h*ll, I'm bleeding like a pig - maybe sticking my severed finger in some red hot pepper will fix me right up!!!!!

And when people say something tastes like sh*t, How do they know what sh*t tastes like?

regards,
Waddie

regards,
Waddie

MiddleAgesMan
11-20-2011, 06:06 AM
And when people say something tastes like sh*t, How do they know what sh*t tastes like?

regards,
Waddie

regards,
Waddie

Thomas Pynchon told us in one of his books..."V" I believe it was. :)