PDA

View Full Version : Its the American Way

Dutch
11-18-2011, 07:56 PM
death from above, anywhere on the planet in 1 hour or less :)

WASHINGTON The Pentagon on Thursday held a successful test flight of a flying bomb that travels faster than the speed of sound and will give military planners the ability to strike targets anywhere in the world in less than a hour.
Launched by rocket from Hawaii at 1130 GMT, the "Advanced Hypersonic Weapon," or AHW, glided through the upper atmosphere over the Pacific "at hypersonic speed" before hitting its target on the Kwajalein atoll in the Marshall Islands, a Pentagon statement said.
Kwajalein is about 2,500 miles (4,000 kilometers) southwest of Hawaii. The Pentagon did not say what top speeds were reached by the vehicle, which unlike a ballistic missile is maneuverable.
Scientists classify hypersonic speeds as those that exceed Mach 5 -- or five times the speed of sound -- 3,728 miles (6,000 kilometers) an hour.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jTJeu2vLniWcT_-Sqc5IQQUOPesQ?docId=CNG.1e15397ba6f112f35bec6eb7fd

Waddie
11-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Eventually our enemies, or potential enemies, will have one, too. Every day is an arms race. The question for us will one day become, "how do we defend ourselves from this?". Right now it's just a question the other nations must address.

Does this mean disregarding national sovereignty is now official policy? We should remember that concept also works in reverse, and I don't mean just in military matters.

regards,
Waddie

ramillett
11-18-2011, 11:00 PM
Well , at least a few more jobs , and staying on top is not a choice .

The Bigfella
11-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Bit slow on the uptake there Dutch. We did that on OzPol the other day

PeterSibley
11-18-2011, 11:39 PM
The slow version is a nuc in a container .

Eventually our enemies, or potential enemies, will have one, too. Every day is an arms race. The question for us will one day become, "how do we defend ourselves from this?". Right now it's just a question the other nations must address.

Does this mean disregarding national sovereignty is now official policy? We should remember that concept also works in reverse, and I don't mean just in military matters.

regards,
Waddie

Waddie
11-18-2011, 11:49 PM
The slow version is a nuc in a container .

That's what I'm afraid of....

This new weapon development simply raises tensions when we should be finding ways to de-escalate. Why make "them", whoever they are, even more paranoid?

I still say drones and weapons of this type are our version of suicide bombers.

regards,
Waddie

PeterSibley
11-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Well said , there seems no end to the ''progress'' but whether the weapon takes 60 seconds or 6 weeks the results are the same .

That's what I'm afraid of....

This new weapon development simply raises tensions when we should be finding ways to de-escalate. Why make "them", whoever they are, even more paranoid?

I still say drones and weapons of this type are our version of suicide bombers.

regards,
Waddie

Dutch
11-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Well said , there seems no end to the ''progress'' but whether the weapon takes 60 seconds or 6 weeks the results are the same .

my take is that this is not an offensive weapon, but one of deterance

"the certainty of a punishment, even if it be moderate , will always make a stronger impression than the fear of another which is more terrible but combined with the hope of impunity" To build the connection between the crime and the punishment it is essential that the punishment is prompt. Beccaria

stevebaby
11-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Goodie! Goodie! I love the American war machine.Let's see...the wealthiest country in the world with a population of 300 million+ spends almost half the world's total arms spending to fight a war for ten years against the world's poorest country with a population of 25 million.
And still can't win.
You bought a lemon.

skuthorp
11-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes! My friend from down under. I understand your misguided emotional view. I will not try to change your mind. but take comfort that you and your country did have to spend 300 million+. It is a sh#ty job but someone has to do it. Call it dumb , stupid or what ever. I have no shame or apology for it. I am an American , you cannot understand.

That phrase says it all unfortunately, but fortunately not all Americans think the same way. Weapon of deterrence? I'd like to think there was irony there but somehow I doubt it. I doubt that any other country shares that 'belief', it's just a long range version of the present drone programme with bigger risks as it relies on a questionable intelligence network for it's targetting. But it does, I suppose, remove US military personnel from the pointy end, and could actually become another contracted service, "What missile? It wasn't the US government, why don't you talk to company 'X' or 'Y' about it.

Arizona Bay
11-19-2011, 10:24 AM
I am an American you cannot understand.
;) FTFY

We've set up a self feeding circle with our military policies. If we stop our weapons madness today, everyone that we've pissed off over the years is going seize the opportunity to take a shot at us...

We need to stop, but I doubt we have the patience and fortitude to accept the consequences of our past actions, which may last for a generation.

Gerarddm
11-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I sure hope jbelow is indulging in some sly sarcasm...

leikec
11-19-2011, 11:31 AM

He isn't.

Jeff C

Arizona Bay
11-19-2011, 11:33 AM
There is something special about Vidor, Tx... think it's in the water.

SamSam
11-19-2011, 03:15 PM

ect. ect. ect I think he's hacking up a hairball.

purri
11-19-2011, 06:29 PM
There is something special about Vidor, Tx... think it's in the water.
It's the fluoride...