PDA

View Full Version : Soft despotism with Paul Rahe

Tylerdurden
11-18-2011, 07:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQS3d2hQOg

John Smith
11-18-2011, 07:17 AM
As soon as he got to tort reform I stopped listening. California adopted tort reform in 1975 and it's done nothing to curtail health care costs. or insurance costs.

This is another guy simply making up **** to fit his pre-conceived ideology.

Tylerdurden
11-18-2011, 07:20 AM
Pretty typical, Wait for any code word to shut down thinking and move quickly back to comfort.

Ian McColgin
11-18-2011, 07:23 AM
Discussing economic/political philosophy with some of these libertarian minded is a bit like discussing religion with certain casuists - Belief defines reality and logic is coersion, rather than having belief and reality inform each other with logic the midwife of clarification.

John Smith
11-18-2011, 07:25 AM
What's typical is idiots like him telling us tort reform will help us when it only helps the company that carries malpractice insurance. Or that Obamacare is the first time in history the government has injected inself into our well being: seat belts, air bags, helmets, laws against driving too fast or talking on cell phones while driving, etc. are ALL the government injecting itself into our safety and well being.

Listening to an interview like this is much like listening to a witness. Once you catch the witness in one lie, you are free to reject all his testifmony. That's what I do.

Tylerdurden
11-18-2011, 07:28 AM
You know this a good one by the quick response. :)

Ian McColgin
11-18-2011, 07:33 AM
John, I don't call it a lie: Just a statement not isomorphic with any known reality.

People like this actually can put forward propositions with which I agree. Like a stopped watch, even Ron Paul can be right now and then. But, like a stopped watch, I do not turn to such folk for even an interesting challenge to my own views.

RonW
11-18-2011, 07:42 AM
Ian -
Discussing economic/political philosophy with some of these libertarian minded is a bit like discussing religion with certain casuists - Belief defines reality and logic is coersion, rather than having belief and reality inform each other with logic the midwife of clarification.

I don't call it a lie: Just a statement not isomorphic with any known reality.

Cool, neat ..so elegant, like a fine ballerina...........now what does it mean ?

Pilgrim I think you are just splattering words to see if any thing sticks......

Ian McColgin
11-18-2011, 08:12 AM
“Cool, neat ..so elegant, like a fine ballerina......” I love flattery, whether sincere or not.

“....now what does it mean ?”

We all experience ways in which expectation controls perception. For example, anyone who has spent time at sea or in the air or training as an aircraft observer (ah, the '50s when we thought Russian bomber would come from the north) knows that the untrained eyes with no background to play against focus a few hundred yards off. This focus places objects beyond the focal plane invisible. That's why the familiar experience when approaching a buoy that you don't see it, and don't see it, and then it suddenly pops up quite clearly.

It takes training and practice to observe, to not allow expectations to control the experience of phenomena.

In religious experience an analogous problem happens with intense mystical experiences where the unwary may be at a loss to distinguish between the descent of the dove versus raising the devil, between religion and psychosis.

In military matters, we have the perceptions entrenched by training and dogma leading to, for example, the utterly unnecessary horrors of trench warfare in WWI.

In economic policy getting it wrong can be so widely spread that making the break is terribly hard. FDR only got off totally wrong approaches to the Great Depression because Hoover had already done what FDR would have. FDR's main contribution was to intuit that economic salvation through chanting about the free market had failed. That insight is rejected by many to this day.

Sometimes people do look at reality, see that whatever they think has failed, but fancy that if they try harder it will all work out. When she was a child my mother lost a play pal because the Christian Science family saw that their efforts to get error out were failing and they did redouble those efforts. They did not, however, change the paradigm and take the kid to the hospital. Hoover faced the Depression in much the same way.

The allusion to Plato’s midwife metaphor is simply a reminder that reason or logic is not the Mother of Truth, but is rather more like the Midwife to Truth, neither necessary nor sufficient to the birth of a true idea but ever so helpful in ensuring a healthy delivery and upping the odds that one will recognize the difference between a true and false. All too many people use “reason” or “logic” as a weapon for coersion rather than as a tool for refining verification, as a cudgel for bashing one to a point of view rather than as a hand to lift a person to a finer vista.

I’ve reviewed on this forum a wonderful little book, “Being Wrong” by Kathryn Schulz. I recommend giving it a read to see if anything sticks. You'll find that thread at:

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?126178-Being-Wrong&highlight=Being+Wrong

G'luck

Gerarddm
11-18-2011, 10:38 AM
I equate this with John Bolton saying Obama is the wrong president to intervene in Syria.

Dutch
11-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Im about 12 minutes into ity and the guy makes some excellent points- his explanation of why the intellectual, non believing progressivists, adore the big brother nanny state, is a beautiful thing and makes more sense than anything I have ever read, seen, or thought of before..

thanks for the video tyler- going to bookmark this one Y>

Gerarddm
11-18-2011, 12:45 PM
makes more sense than anything I have ever read, seen, or thought of before..

Clearly not well educated.