PDA

View Full Version : What were they thinking!

WX
11-18-2011, 07:07 AM
I saw one of these yesterday and I can't quite remember when I last saw a car this ugly.

http://www.autohuur-namibie.nl/Autohuur%20Files/dodge_F.jpg

Tylerdurden
11-18-2011, 07:14 AM
It looks all big an tough but like most things here these days it is an illusion. You should see them in the wrecking yard.

John Smith
11-18-2011, 07:18 AM
One man's ugly.......

David W Pratt
11-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Well, I'm guessing (like the advice to new brides) they were thinking of England, RHD.

Peerie Maa
11-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Well, I'm guessing (like the advice to new brides) they were thinking of England, RHD.
Do you mean that it is a rip off from a 30 yo Range Rover?

Paul Pless
11-18-2011, 08:06 AM
It looks all big an tough but like most things here these days it is an illusion. You should see them in the wrecking yard.

+1!

The last real light trucks and related SUV's as we knew them from the beginning of time was the 1999 Chevy 1500 and its offspring the K5 Blaser/Tahoe/Suburban. After that the truck's structure was compromised by the addition of third and fourth doors and both the trucks and their offspring SUV's have been further weakened structurally by crash standards which mandate a crumple zone ahead of the driver to make the trucks friendlier to cars in a crash.

brad9798
11-18-2011, 09:36 AM
That is an ugly Nitro ... I much prefer its JEEP Liberty sibling ...

wardd
11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Mercedes-Benz_G500.jpg/800px-Mercedes-Benz_G500.jpg

and only a hundred thousand plus

Driver Mark
11-18-2011, 10:04 AM
I saw one of these yesterday and I can't quite remember when I last saw a car this ugly.

http://www.autohuur-namibie.nl/Autohuur Files/dodge_F.jpg

Don't remember the last time you saw an AMC Pacer?

Cuyahoga Chuck
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
OK,mate, heres's the scoop from an old timer.
Back in the 1950s Chrysler produced a four-wheel drive pick-up truck/suburban that was heavy duty. Big wheels, big brakes, big axles, and HD differentials at both ends. It may may have been built on a platform and with styling developed during WWII. It wasn't pretty but it was big, tough and could be had with a first series Chrysler hemi.
Some current Chrysler trucks are styled to be retro versions if those famous old timers.
The owner of the Sturtevant torque wrench company traveled to various racing venues in the 1960s in a Dodge Ram powered by a modified 392 c.i. Chrysler Hemi fed by a huge roots type supercharger. It could light up all four wheels. and pulling a 40 foot travel trailer at over 100 MPH was duck soup.
What goes around comes around.

brad9798
11-18-2011, 10:30 AM
I like that G-Class Mercedes, wardd ... the only real SUV they make!

wardd
11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I like that G-Class Mercedes, wardd ... the only real SUV they make!

i'm going to get one as my second car after i get a s65 amg

Gerarddm
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Ugly? No, evidently you haven't seen a Nissan Cube, or the late unlamented Pontiac Aztek (!).

pefjr
11-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Nice, I like it, just needs a luggage/bike rack.

S.V. Airlie
11-18-2011, 10:53 AM
I can't imagine spending the kind of money one would have to in order to buy a Mercedes for the woods..... No, I don't know what one cost, but if I was going to buy an tank or sme SUV,I'd buy a second hand truck. I'd hate to have someone put a scratch in the Mercedes..LOL I really don't even know why people need them except as a class thing...Is the OP ugly? Well, in some people's eyes,it probably is as people buy them I suppose.

JimD
11-18-2011, 11:03 AM
I like the big cross on the grill. No need for a plastic Jesus in the window with that sucker protecting you.

seanz
11-18-2011, 11:18 AM

http://www.autohuur-namibie.nl/Autohuur%20Files/dodge_F.jpg

Awww, you don't like it? But it looks like a big smiley Transformer.....

Phillip Allen
11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Citron?

brad9798
11-18-2011, 11:41 AM
Citron? No ... Dodge. :D

Lewisboater
11-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Citron? No ... Dodge. :D

Na....he's right...Lemon

leikec
11-18-2011, 12:20 PM
My dad always drove Chrysler products, even though he had a lot of trouble with them over the years...the worst example being a Dodge Dart Swinger that broke down and left him stranded--on the way home from the dealership. That car had to have a new transmission before it ran (semi) reliably.

Chrysler is still lagging in build quality (and materials quality--every review I read of a Chrysler product is critical of the quality of interior materials)...and there are scores of 300's, Liberty's, Sebring convertibles, and other vehicles out there disappointing their owners as we speak. Not a good sign for future sales to repeat Chrysler buyers....

Lately there have been some (scattered) signs of improvement, but I remain skeptical as to whether the company can play in the same league with the competition. Perhaps that is just my bias talking, as I remember driving yesterday behind a Dodge Ram pickup with most of the paint peeling away from the cab and hood. Maybe it's me--but I think that paintwork would be hard to buff out when a guy is getting ready to sell the truck....

Jeff C

Ron Williamson
11-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Pontiac Aztek? Anyone?
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://img.timeinc.net/time/2007/50_cars/pontiac_aztec.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1658545_1658544_1658540,00.html&h=235&w=360&sz=37&tbnid=jEHTsyQvsfnLJM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=138&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpontiac%2Baztek%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3D u&zoom=1&q=pontiac+aztek&docid=jOCrnXUQQvkRlM&sa=X&ei=UZnGTt7aNsHL0QGW84wZ&ved=0CEgQ9QEwAQ&dur=930

Regarding M-B and SUVs,
Unimog
R

John B
11-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Hasn't it got Fiat running gear?

BIL has one , ugly as sin but does some hard duty as a tradesmans horse( electrician). He travels down to the coromandel each weekend and two little things manifest. One , diesel 2.8? 4 cyl, its very frugal and I've driven it... goes very well. 2 , people get out of its way.
So its has an ugly mug, but does a pretty good job for the money spent.

I just remembered...I had a drag race with him once in our old family 7 seater SUV, an isuzu with a 3.2 petrol V6.First I had to comb my hair back to get away from the comb over look,grab the roofrack which was sitting on the bonnet,and then I had to collect my headlights from the back of the dodge , they got sucked out when he went past.

brad9798
11-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Jeff C ... you haven't seen their interiors over the last year or so, eh?

A Dodge Dart is hardly a realistic barometer ... are you kidding me? ARE YOU? WOW! ;)

To wit:

The new RAM is the class of trucks ... Ford is right up there too. GMC/Chevy? WAYYYYY outdated at this point.

Grand Cherokee is still the class of the five-passenger SUV world

Wrangler- still the best on/off-road vehicle available anywhere at ANY price

New Durango- great reviews ... and a beautiful SUV.

Their minivans? All like to pick them apart ... but they still sell over ALL others ... the most in the world.

300 and Charger? Have you seen them lately ... they are top-notch.

But go ahead and compare modern quality based on your dad's Dart! :D

brad9798
11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
It's funny, Ron ... you mention the Aztek ...

Good shape, used ones are worth their weight in gold ... what a cult following it has!

And, yeah, it is ugly ...

S.V. Airlie
11-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I guess I never looked at a SUV or something for the outback or four wheeling needing all of the goodies.A basic truck with may be a radio is enough for me.

Ted Hoppe
11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
It's funny, Ron ... you mention the Aztek ...

Good shape, used ones are worth their weight in gold ... what a cult following it has!

And, yeah, it is ugly ...

In amazing TV drama Breaking Bad, Walter White's Aztek proves the ugly runs all through the car and eventually gets into the driver.
That car has taken him to some very grim places and still hides him from plain sight.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-K2OshC5-Ci4/TWYVLLoYBYI/AAAAAAAABgU/qZigFz_SBtw/s1600/pontiacaztek.jpg

leikec
11-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Jeff C ... you haven't seen their interiors over the last year or so, eh?

A Dodge Dart is hardly a realistic barometer ... are you kidding me? ARE YOU? WOW! ;)

To wit:

The new RAM is the class of trucks ... Ford is right up there too. GMC/Chevy? WAYYYYY outdated at this point.

Grand Cherokee is still the class of the five-passenger SUV world

Wrangler- still the best on/off-road vehicle available anywhere at ANY price

New Durango- great reviews ... and a beautiful SUV.

Their minivans? All like to pick them apart ... but they still sell over ALL others ... the most in the world.

300 and Charger? Have you seen them lately ... they are top-notch.

But go ahead and compare modern quality based on your dad's Dart! :D

I guess you missed the part where I mentioned that things have improved a bit, but I'm not surprised.

But Chrysler is still getting panned by the automotive press for high warranty repair numbers (including 2011 models), outdated designs (on the 2012 models), and piss-poor interior quality/fit-and-finish (again on the 2012 models) throughout the model lineup.

Jeff C

brad9798
11-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Ted, did you notice at the end of season three (3), when Walt ran over the street dealers ... that his 'repaired' Aztek was a different/more green color?

Terrible editing ... :)

brad9798
11-18-2011, 02:04 PM
Why don't you look at them yourself, jeffy ... and make your own opinion ... they have gotten, by and large, GREAT reviews on their new interiors ...

Your hard-on for Chrysler makes you look silly ...

Tell me about GMC/Chevy reviews ... if you can. :D

brad9798
11-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Reasonable press has lauded Chrysler for the past year for their interior fit and finish ... and design, etc. Do you have links, jeffy?

leikec
11-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Why don't you look at them yourself, jeffy ... and make your own opinion ... they have gotten, by and large, GREAT reviews on their new interiors ...

Your hard-on for Chrysler makes you look silly ...

Tell me about GMC/Chevy reviews ... if you can. :D

Whatever, Brad. I hear that Fusz is hiring, you should check them out.

Jeff C

brad9798
11-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Nice cop out and swipe at me ... because you cannot make your own opinion ...

Why would I work at Fusz? He used to be a competitor of mine ... I am sitting on my couch, what are you doing? ;)

Waddie
11-18-2011, 02:25 PM
If you want to honestly compare quality, go look at the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) for that vehicle. They are available online, at least the titles are. They are the reports of known defects, recalls, etc., for each vehicle going back many years. They are sent to dealers service departments.

I might add that TSB's are one reason I buy Toyotas. Here locally the Toyota service department will let me look at all the TSB's and make copies of any that I want. The local GM dealer says they don't allow public access to their TSB's. I had owned a 1990 GM Prizm which is also a Toyota Corolla. The GM dealer wouldn't let me see the TSB's but the Toyota dealer gave me unfettered access. BTW, too few dealership mechanics actually keep up on the TSB's.

regards,
Waddie

brad9798
11-18-2011, 02:29 PM
Toyota is one of the most dishonest brands in the WORLD!! Sure, they have made some good cars ... but their business ethics are deplorable ...

Forget TSBs ... and as a former dearlership partner, I know ALL about them ... and shared them with whomever wanted to see them ... as they are/were public domain ...

Toyota hid thousands of problems ... for nearly a decade ...

Is this what you think is a good manufacturer?

Just curious.

B

brad9798
11-18-2011, 02:31 PM
Prism was BUILT by toyota ... no reason for the GM dealership to try to hide a TSB from you ... it is a dealership-based decision ... do not deal with that store anymore ...

The Bigfella
11-18-2011, 02:54 PM
We saw a lot of 4WDs up on Cape York and spoke to a lot of the owners whilst in campgrounds or at deep creek crossings. I've seen a few of those uglies around on the road.... but sure as hell didn't see them on the tracks up on the Cape. Like in any pursuit, there were those who knew what they were talking about and how to go about it properly.... then there were those in the powderpuff vehicles... and those who had no idea how to drive off-road. They sure chewed up the tracks though... digging bloody great holes and churning up the creeks. The Nissan Patrol 2.8 non-turbo diesel was one that kept getting a lot of praise.

Ted Hoppe
11-18-2011, 03:02 PM
Ted, did you notice at the end of season three (3), when Walt ran over the street dealers ... that his 'repaired' Aztek was a different/more green color?

Terrible editing ... :)

Good catch. maybe it was after their car wash gave a deluxe shine.
Was he driving the Aztek when he swerved with the Brother-in-law?

Nicholas Carey
11-18-2011, 04:03 PM

I can! The Pontiac Aztek, world's ugliest car ... and it had some stiff competition: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/2754146/The-100-ugliest-cars.html

http://www.noroadzone.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/aztek2.png

WX
11-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Regarding the Nitro, big and chunky with small windows is always a bad combo on so many levels. Most of the children that are accidently run over by their parents in driveways are by 4x4s. The Nitro has got to be a bugger to see anything from drivers seat.

The Bigfella
11-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Reversing cameras mate....

Waddie
11-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Toyota is one of the most dishonest brands in the WORLD!! Sure, they have made some good cars ... but their business ethics are deplorable ...
Forget TSBs ... and as a former dearlership partner, I know ALL about them ... and shared them with whomever wanted to see them ... as they are/were public domain ...
Toyota hid thousands of problems ... for nearly a decade ...
Is this what you think is a good manufacturer?
Just curious.
B

Forget TSBs: I disagree. TSB's are a great source of information. Before I buy a used vehicle, I always check the TSB's on that vehicle. Let's let each judge for him/herself.

Is this what you think is a good manufacturer? I can only go by my experience. The Toyota's I have owned have all been very reliable. I sold a 1987 Toyota pickup last year for $2000.00, which was almost half what I paid for it. That's holding value pretty well. It had 400K miles and the engine/transmission (5 speed) had never been torn down for any repair. I was on it's second bed (The only American made part).

I still have a 1994 and 1996 Toyota pickups. About once every couple of months some young guy will come up asking me if I want to sell. They are very much in demand, so there must be some people who think highly of them.

I do think the American cars have improved, and Toyota is probably finding out that once you reach a certain size it's more difficult to maintain quality control. I also really like the F150 Eco-boost truck. I am considering it for my next truck in a couple of years.

regards,
Waddie

WX
11-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Reversing cameras mate....
Only if they aren't covered in dirt, though given these things aren't actually meant to be driven off sealed roads that would be unlikely.
It still has blind spots. It's surprising what a thick pillar can hide...you on your bike for example.

PeterSibley
11-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Toyota is the leading brand here, a Toyota ute usually has a 10% premium second hand over any other brand .

We don't buy Jeeps .:d

brad9798
11-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Okay, good post, Waddie ... :)

Waddie
11-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Okay, good post, Waddie ... :)

Thank you.

BTW, I'm not one of those people who trash other brands or other people's preferences. But I'll bet that most all car companies hide a lot of dirty little secrets they wouldn't want the public to know about. You being an insider regarding Toyota, you probably know how that company operates much better than I, and I don't doubt your claims for a minute. However, as a customer, my local dealership has treated me very well.

regards,
Waddie

leikec
11-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Thank you.

BTW, I'm not one of those people who trash other brands or other people's preferences. But I'll bet that most all car companies hide a lot of dirty little secrets they wouldn't want the public to know about. You being an insider regarding Toyota, you probably know how that company operates much better than I, and I don't doubt your claims for a minute. However, as a customer, my local dealership has treated me very well.

regards,
Waddie

My comments about Chrysler aren't meant to trash them--but a few minutes on Google will confirm that Chrysler still has a long way to go in the quality/fit-and-finish department...and frankly, it isn't exactly a secret that Chrysler has had many problems (recent problems--up to and including the 2011 model year vehicles) in the areas I mentioned.

I would love to see both GM and Chrysler succeed. Both companies have issues though, and Chrysler currently has more infrastructure issues than GM (once again; not a secret to anyone willing to do the necessary research).

Jeff C

PeterSibley
11-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Toyota is the leading brand here, a Toyota ute usually has a 10% premium second hand over any other brand .

We don't buy Jeeps .:d

I should add that the 10% is because of a general public perception of reliability and quality .
The reverse applies to Jeep.

brad9798
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Well put, waddie ... and jeff c ...

I can deal with that kind of recourse!

Waddie
11-18-2011, 07:24 PM
My comments about Chrysler aren't meant to trash them--but a few minutes on Google will confirm that Chrysler still has a long way to go in the quality/fit-and-finish department...and frankly, it isn't exactly a secret that Chrysler has had many problems (recent problems--up to and including the 2011 model year vehicles) in the areas I mentioned.

I would love to see both GM and Chrysler succeed. Both companies have issues though, and Chrysler currently has more infrastructure issues than GM (once again; not a secret to anyone willing to do the necessary research).

Jeff C

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack your opinions. I just meant it as a general statement. Yes, I've heard the same thing about Chrysler's problems. So I don't think your comments are trash, just reporting what you've seen/heard/read. Though the American cars have better quality, they still have a way to go, and Chrysler probably does bring up the back of the pack. I hope they're working on it. :)

regards,
Waddie

leikec
11-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to attack your opinions. I just meant it as a general statement. Yes, I've heard the same thing about Chrysler's problems. So I don't think your comments are trash, just reporting what you've seen/heard/read. Though the American cars have better quality, they still have a way to go, and Chrysler probably does bring up the back of the pack. I hope they're working on it. :)

regards,
Waddie

I didn't take it as an attack--we are cool :D

Jeff C

MiddleAgesMan
11-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I disagree with the OP about the ugliest car...The Aztec wins that title hands down.

For fit and finish of an interior, Honda is the big loser in my experience. The reliability of the running gear makes up for it....sorta.

I haven't owned a car in about 10 years but the company owned Ford products I drove for many years were great in all respects (except for the crappy local dealer) while the Hondas my yf owns or has owned have cheap plastic interiors that break or come loose. To top it off their ergonomics are deplorable.

leikec
11-18-2011, 07:39 PM
For fit and finish of an interior, Honda is the big loser in my experience. The reliability of the running gear makes up for it....sorta.

I haven't owned a car in about 10 years but the company owned Ford products I drove for many years were great in all respects (except for the crappy local dealer) while the Hondas my yf owns or has owned have cheap plastic interiors that break or come loose. To top it off their ergonomics are deplorable.

The latest CRV interior is pretty cheap looking....

Jeff C