PDA

View Full Version : First race

Meli
11-17-2011, 03:49 AM
Mirror on a small city lake. expected wind 25 in morning easing in afternoon.
race at 2pm

First race on Saturday.:eek:
The other Mirror enthusiasts have browbeaten me into taking Bouboulina out.
I'll have experienced crew, I think I better get some insurance :D

A question.

The mainsheet between the ratchet thingy on the centreboard housing and the wheely thingy on the boom, rubs against the housing because the wheely thing on the boom is about 6" forward of the back of the centreboard housing. If that makes any sense.
Someone said I should move the boom wheely thing, directly above the ratchet thing.

will it matter?

I think I better stick a big L on the sail :D

Ron Williamson
11-17-2011, 06:09 AM
The word you are looking for is block.
Puzzle the layout for a minute to see if you could rig it a different way without actually moving anythingy.
P'raps you could ask on Sailing Anarchy,but give us a warning so we can watch the fun.
R

bamamick
11-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Yes, you should move it and do it before you try to sail the boat. It doesn't make any sense at all for the block to be where it is, so it may be for something else and they never put the mainsheet block on the boom at all. In something as small as a Mirror dinghy you may be looking at a block for what we Yanks call a vang, or what the Brits call a kicking strap. Go down to the dinghy park early enough to get one of the other guys to show you how they are set up and then rig the boat properly.

Good luck. Have fun.

Mickey Lake

Meli
11-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Yep, I'll be down early for the kids lessons. I'll take my drill and a screw driver and get the resident Mirror expert to check it over if he's around.
Trouble is, everyone gives different advise and rigging diagrams seem to be unobtainable for Mirrors.

I'll see if I can raise Duncan.

bamamick
11-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Meli, I have never even seen a Mirror dinghy, but it does seem as if the block being where it is may result in an inversion of the mast at the boom, which isn't something you should have to worry about. With most boats you can just set the boom slightly below midships and lift it to the proper height for sailing, and then set the mainsheet block directly above the ratchet block. I can not imagine why anyone would set a block six feet forward of the mainsheet swivel, and that's why I said that about it possibly not even being the correct block for the mainsheet.

Mickey Lake

Meli
11-17-2011, 04:32 PM
My bad :D typo. mainsheet block 6" forward of the ratchet block :D

Duncan replied on the OZ pol thread.

Meli
11-19-2011, 02:09 AM
Ha Ha I think I'm a witch.
Set off for the start line, wind immediately picked up.
suffered a mild panic attack with all those boats hovering around.
Executed perfect tack straight back to the dock.:D

I jumped out, someone else jumped in to take over.
They sailed to the start line, hawser thing on stern (where the mainsail block? runs back and forwards) snapped.
followed by the bottom rudder pintle thing breaking off, no steering, no mainsail control.

This was not my boatY:o