PDA

View Full Version : United States Congress Joint Select Committee on Deficit Reduction

Paul Pless
11-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Hard to understand why the dominant political conversations are on who is and who will be running for president a year from now, when this looms. Any takers on whether they get a deal done? I'm thinking no deal myself.

skuthorp
11-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Well, as an outsider the immediate past record says no, but who knows, it's not as if a clear GOP candidate has emerged yet and maybe 'just no' is wearing thin?

Tylerdurden
11-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends............

elf
11-16-2011, 07:21 AM
Hensarling walked out last night - so no it seems to be at this moment. But it does mean that the Republicans would rather have a reduction in the funding for the DOD than agree to raise taxes or close loopholes.

The Democrats could play that one pretty well in some sections of the country.

SMARTINSEN
11-16-2011, 07:49 AM
The committee will fail, and the Congress will spend the rest of the year trying to figure a way to renege, especially on the defense cuts.

CWSmith
11-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Congress is already working hard to reverse the mandatory cuts if the deal isn't made, so they seem to be planning for failure. On this, I will trust their opinion.

RonW
11-16-2011, 09:47 AM
The super committee is nothing more then a dog and pony show to pacify the dummy down 1/2 of Americans.
#1 it is unconstitutional, and #2 it is a joke at the very best.
They are going to save what, $1.2 trillion off of the deficit spending over the next 10 years.
It was totally unacceptable when G.W.Bush spent $600. billion over budget for 8 years creating
more national debt of $4.8 trillion.
Now we got Barry spending $1.6 trillion over budget every year for the last 3 years.And a new national debt of $15. trillion.

So in 10 years they will spend $1.2 trillion less then the planned $16. trillion and that doesn't count
the automatic 6% increase every year in the budget. A dirty washington inside trick to increase spending.

And in 10 year we will be as a nation over $30 trillion in debt and the interest payments alone will be close to
$900. billion or over 1/3 of the federal income.And there in lies the problem.

The only real answer is to actually balance the budget.

LeeG
11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
so how do the Repubs think we should pay for two wars?

wardd
11-16-2011, 09:54 AM
so how do the Repubs think we should pay for two wars?

iraqui oil will cover the whole 2 billion cost of the war of course we may have to cover all the bush street signs

RonW
11-16-2011, 10:31 AM
Wardd -
iraqui oil will cover the whole 2 billion cost of the war

You need to get a more realistic grasp on the costs.....

John of Phoenix
11-16-2011, 10:38 AM
"Past is prologue." There's no reason to think those turkeys will agree on the color of the sky.

LeeG
11-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Wardd -

You need to get a more realistic grasp on the costs.....

that comment came from Paul Wolfowitz, the "architect" of the war.