PDA

View Full Version : Kayaking To Work

Soundbounder
11-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Story and video of a Waterford CT man who kayaks to work in New London, daily.

http://boatinglocal.com/news/waterford-ct-man-kayaks-to-work.html

Ian McColgin
11-13-2011, 05:58 PM
Nice paddle. When I was working for the DPU, offices in South Station, and had Granuaile between the bridges on Chelsea Creek, I'd sometimes row my dory and and sometimes paddle my kayak over. It was just three miles by water and took far less time than two longish walks that bookended a bus-transfer-to-subway ride.

Which does not match a guy I knew living in Hawaii who worked across the bay from his house and windsurfed to work. That's cool.

tomlarkin
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice story. I like the way he moves the kayak through town to his office on a skateboard.

I take my power boat 8 miles down Lake Washington a couple times a month, and finish the trip on the bus. Those are the best days of the week for me, but it's not very efficient any way you look at it.

Soundbounder
11-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Of course, you need to have an employer who doesn't mind a kayak being stored in the office :d

Ian McColgin
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
For me there was no problem at either end since home was my schooner and there was a private dock just behind the office. No need to drag either boat over land at all. When kayaking, I did bring my paddle and PFD into the office.

Soundbounder
11-14-2011, 02:16 PM
For me there was no problem at either end since home was my schooner and there was a private dock just behind the office. No need to drag either boat over land at all. When kayaking, I did bring my paddle and PFD into the office.Perfect setup.

I was just joking about the final part of the video which shows him wheeling the kayak through the piano showroom.

skuthorp
11-14-2011, 03:19 PM
In one job I used to paddle a TK1 to work 4 days a week in appropriate weather. The 5th day I changed over clothes I wore on the job etc. Stored the kayak vertically in the loading bay. Only trouble I ever had was being shot at one day but someone on shore heard it and called the police. A bored security guard seeing if he could make me capsize they said. OK if you have strictly regular hours, which was not very often in my career. Paddling home on the river after dark was not such a safe matter.