PDA

View Full Version : what happened to the extinct rhino thread?

Phillip Allen
11-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I can't find it

Phillip Allen
11-12-2011, 12:25 PM
never mind... I found it

bobbys
11-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Some people got mad at me for admitting to poaching, i did say i was sorry but one has to admit i was good at it as you cannot find western black rhino's in Oregon or New Jersey to this very day.

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Due for a story Phillip.. I know you want one.Come to the right place. Of course Ihave told it several times on the forum already but hey, I know many here have short memories..:)

There is this guy..still living and still poaching for food which I have no issue within Cooperstown, NY.

Well, one day some older lady catch him poaching grouse in the pring and decided that it was up to her to call the game warden about it.Of course I amsure that she had her dapper up over this not being a native and really not understanding what she really was gettig into. Most of the locals who knew this man and knew his family and knew that they were exceptionally poor just left his illegal poaching issue alone. Most understood that he was only doing what he had to do.
Anyway, the biddy called up the warden, who not only was wardfen but a local who was more than likely aware of this man's poaching. Common knowledge actually.
Art gets the call though and figurs out that to make the biddy happy, he would have to check this incident out.
That evening, he gets in his state vehicle and goes to the door of the man accused of ummm poaching. The guy lets him in and Art explains the problem. "Well", says the man, "that may be true and maybe it isn't. Why don't you have a seat. we have about 8 chickens in the oven and you are welcome to join us."Art sat down and the man's wife pulls out those 8 chickens, nicely cooked, brown and smelling like heaven. Art took a chair, took one of the birds and started to dig in while spiting out a bunch of shot. "Darn good chicken", he stats, best I have ever had" he continued. By the end of dinner, all that remained basically was a bunch of bones.
The next day, Art called the old biddy and said that he checked this accusation out thoroughly, but at the end of his search, he couldn't find any evidence to speak of. Nothing else happened to the poacher after that.No tickets, no summons,no more complaints, nothing.

Glen Longino
11-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Some people got mad at me for admitting to poaching, i did say i was sorry but one has to admit i was good at it as you cannot find western black rhino's in Oregon or New Jersey to this very day.

So it was You?
I knew it all along!!!!!!!!!!

bobbys
11-12-2011, 01:13 PM
So it was You?
I knew it all along!!!!!!!!!!.

What gives the right for species to exist when men can enhance their sexual life with the body parts of said animals?.

Ok so im not politically correct but some one had to say it!

James McMullen
11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Ha, ha ha, what a funny story, Jamie. I just love these tales where the hero is a corrupt official who decides to take the law into his own hands and ignores his duty in favor of bribes and cronyism. That's awesome! Everyone knows that the Law doesn't really apply to everyone equally and democratically, and those laws pertaining to maintaining the good of the commons don't matter a damn if you got connections. Tell us some more good 'uns like that. It's great to hear of criminals flaunting the law, maybe we can inspire our kids, huh?

<sarcasm off>

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2011, 01:27 PM
James..Art's not corrupt never was.. Yes, he broke the law for a good cause though.Of course you may think that it isn't a good idea to allow someone to feed their families as opposed to breaking the law and putting people i this situation in jail.I guess that you think that would be the best approach. Heck, he was not arresting a moon shiner who was selling his stuff out the back of a pickup truck, he was feeding his family. Are you really that inflexible and only see black and white?If there was bribery, it was being given a chicken at dinner.

bobbys
11-12-2011, 01:32 PM
I prefer the Hollywood movies where a rich developer is taking over the land and is going to POISON the land with MINING and BUILDING.

But not to be dismayed our hero comes in and finds a pretty girl after being beat up by the evil mans goons then has to bind the town together despite the police being in on it yet our hero works outside the law and a fight ensues in such a way our hero starts to lose and the evil guy dies when the pretty girl picks up the evil gun and kills him despite her aversion to guns!

James McMullen
11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Could not the freaking Game Warden find a way to help out a hungry family without letting him keep flouting the game laws? Or did you think that wildlife management is just a lark and a whim or random regulations for no reason? If there's no real reason not to let this guy keep shooting birds out of season, then why not let everyone do it? Why not let anyone and everyone hunt as much as they want whenever they want? After all, that was a good old American tradition at one point, wasn't it?

From what I understand, these made a pretty tasty pie.

http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/63363-004-B28DADD2.jpg

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I know more about wildlife management than you do. Yup, I suppose he could be fined, I guess he could have been taken to jail, I guess he could have done a lot of things and leave a family without anything. Guess you would like and appreciate that in your B&W vision James. And the demise of the passenger pigeon was not about a few breaking the law it was about thousands making a profit out of the hunting and selling the meat for profit.This guy was not interested in making a profit just interested in feeding his bloody family without having to be a burden on society.Of course you are big on someone who is independent not looking for a handout from the government. Basically a typical lib.I'm not surprised that you are the type to put everything in life in the governments arms. I suspect that is how you operate. The guy poaching was trying to do right for his family, and want him to rely on the government tit for everything.Again, typical lib...Some people have more respect for themselves than that. Handouts are not the ay many people in the boonies operate.

Ihope the next time you are caught speeding in your car, the cop throws the book at you instead of giving you a warning which is his option. Of course that means he is corrupt if he only gives you a warning right?.Maybe, the next cop who catches you on your cell phone will just give a warning as well. Oh lordy, he is corrupt too.He should have thrown the book at you and fined you the maximum fine.*

Meli
11-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm with Jamie,

Good officers should turn a blind eye sometimes.
The law is supposed to be flexiable, thats why we have courts and magistrates with powers to temper justice with mercy rather than a computer toting crimes with penalties.

The courts would be really pissed off if every officer charged every malefactor with every infringement they become aware of. IMHO :D

The UK has a strange law regarding poaching of pheasant.
These silly birds wander across the roads right in the path of cars.
So apparently there is a law that if you hit one and pick it up, it's poaching but if a vehicle finds one dead, it's not.
So you have all these cars in tandem driveing around the country roads.

The trick is to just give a gentle flick of the wheel so you dont squash it. DAMHIKT :D

S.V. Airlie
11-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Thanks Meli, I agree 100% Art was a fine warden.Not one likely to be bribed. In fact, I never heard of him being bribed. As Meli stated, there is room for flexibility. Every case should be looked at individually. Art did that knowing very well the circumstances. He let it go as he should have.Now bringing poachers who were in to making profits over their kills, he was a tiger..Feared by some but respected by all.If nothing else, he was aware of the two differences.

Phillip Allen
11-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I know more about wildlife management than you do. Yup, I suppose he could be fined, I guess he could have been taken to jail, I guess he could have done a lot of things and leave a family without anything. Guess you would like and appreciate that in your B&W vision James. And the demise of the passenger pigeon was not about a few breaking the law it was about thousands making a profit out of the hunting and selling the meat for profit.This guy was not interested in making a profit just interested in feeding his bloody family without having to be a burden on society.Of course you are big on someone who is independent not looking for a handout from the government. Basically a typical lib.I'm not surprised that you are the type to put everything in life in the governments arms. I suspect that is how you operate. The guy poaching was trying to do right for his family, and want him to rely on the government tit for everything.Again, typical lib...Some people have more respect for themselves than that. Handouts are not the ay many people in the boonies operate.

Ihope the next time you are caught speeding in your car, the cop throws the book at you instead of giving you a warning which is his option. Of course that means he is corrupt if he only gives you a warning right?.Maybe, the next cop who catches you on your cell phone will just give a warning as well. Oh lordy, he is corrupt too.He should have thrown the book at you and fined you the maximum fine.*

Jamie, think how you define profit...

the time it takes to hunt and then process game plus equipment purchace and so on, makes the game pretty expencive generally. Now remember that the poacher could have been working at a $10/hour job and earning money instead of sitting on his butt in the woods. Now, and this is the best part, the government doesn't get to tax the game but must pay out in various forms like those we generally think of as wealfare... don't forget the rest of his family he is collecting on. So... "Art" avoids the tax man, collects from the tax man, the government looses 'revenue' and all the while Art is enjoying his sit in the woods... just something to ponder

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Jamie, think how you define profit...

the time it takes to hunt and then process game plus equipment purchace and so on, makes the game pretty expencive generally. Now remember that the poacher could have been working at a $10/hour job and earning money instead of sitting on his butt in the woods. Now, and this is the best part, the government doesn't get to tax the game but must pay out in various forms like those we generally think of as wealfare... don't forget the rest of his family he is collecting on. So... "Art" avoids the tax man, collects from the tax man, the government looses 'revenue' and all the while Art is enjoying his sit in the woods... just something to ponderPhillip..Regarding the passenger pigeon, using a punt gun killed thousands of birds. Not with one blast obviously, but I would say up to 50 at a time. The birds were not usually plucked but were hung on hooks in the markets as is. There was no getting involved, just getting the birds to market.Secondly, poaching deer was a family operations, brothers, cousins involved and shared i the profits. I'm sure they were not paid by the hour.. Having five or six or more relatives out in the woods killing deer and bringing them back to slaughter was the most time consuming activity. And if they could sell the meat in NYC for $25.00/pound because the restaurants can charge say $60.00 for a dinner which included a 4 oz piece of venison at a fancy place and get away with it, both sides win.Equipment was minimal Phillip..

ps..say these guys killed three deer in one day that came in weighing dressed 125lbs. At $25.00/pound, the price of those three deer on the market would be about $9,000. and the restaurant would take in *$22,000 in dinners.... Not a bad day's work for the poachers and it would be tax free.Say that there are 10 relatives poaching Thats $900.00/person not bad either. Even if you take into account the equipment; a truck, a few guns, ammunition what does that amount to in cost?
Remember, this is three deer in one day, multiply it by say 30 days of hunting.The number killed might vary on any particular day..Also hypothetical in some ways, I used some numbers that I think the markets involve can bear.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Why are you still going out of your way to justify and condone an illegal and immoral practice, Jamie? I think it's weird to watch you speculate and hypothesize about the way to make profits as a criminal. It's like you've got some fantasy going about it.

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 09:59 AM
The guy was not making a profit. Why can't you at least read what I wrote? Do you think that is possible for you to do? Doesn't seem to be. James Show me how and when the guy was making a profit from what I wrote? I don't think you will be able to.

pss. there also ws an exeptonally old lady (housebound) living down the road from from this man's family often living on cat food. This man's family would take any food they had left over, when tey did, and take it to her. I suppose there was profit in that too.
I guess you want to up the welfare roles don't you?

And pst 15 was most certainly poaching for profit which I am against and Art tried his best to catch them. Once in a while he did catch one or two, but they only got a hefty fine and went back to what they were doing before. To them, the fines were the cost of doing Business.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Don't you even read what you wrote yourself? My comments about profits are in regards to your second paragraph in post #15. Or do you not remember writing that paragraph an hour and ten minutes ago?

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 10:19 AM
That was in response to Phillip's comment when he asked me what I thought making a profit was. I gave him a hypothetical example (lthough not one really..an actual family business ) that was not about the one individual who poached for food. I see poaching for profit in a different light than poaching to feed his family. I aso stated that Art did manage on occasion to catch these profit poachers and they usually just ended paying a fine and just considered it business. So, again, I was responding to Phillips to give hm an example of how poaching for profit could and does work.No where do I say, I'm for poaching. No where did I say our old warden wasn't trying to get proof to arrest them and did when he could. Absolutely no where.*

OconeePirate
11-13-2011, 10:32 AM
I've been involved with shooting squirrels out of season. It was 20+ years ago, and I was a dumb kid with a 410, but it happened. If I remember correctly they made for some good chili and cool pouches. Unless the game season was different back then, I don't know. We didn't bother to check. I didn't even know there was a such thing as squirrel season at the time.

As far as the ethics of poaching go... I have two questions.
#1 Is the poacher hunting to feed his family or to sell the carcass?
#2 Is the animal being actively protected?

If the poacher is hunting to feed his family and its an animal that isn't protected, endangered, etc... I have trouble really considering it to be the worst thing ever. If they get busted let 'em pay the fine, do the time, etc..., but I'm not going to look at them like they're evil.

Down here it'd be pretty hard to get someone to cry about someone poaching white tail deer, just because of how many of them are out there. Usually its hunters that have any serious input into that issue. They want more bigger, tastier deer of course, so they don't look kindly on poachers.

(FWIW, I thought I was staying well within Bilge limits, but if it was my comment about the use of poacher genitalia that got the original thread zapped, I apologize.)

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Well, absolutely no where other than in that charming little tale about the grouse poacher and how the Warden sat down with him at his own dinner table and helped him dispose of the evidence of those eight little "chickens".

Seriously dude, I don't think I have ever met someone who plants his heels in the sand as firmly as you do. You go to amazing lengths to avoid ever admitting a mistake.

http://images.travelpod.com/users/madnomads/1.1247460668.nox-a-very-stubborn-mulexx.jpg

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 10:36 AM
It's amazing that all you see is Black and White.I hope you teach your kids to have a bit more flexibility and that not everything is as it seems.You are the one planting in the heels. Anyone with common sense would see the difference between poaching for profit vs poaching to live.

You would be a perfect cop James."Cuff em Danno!"You would probably do this with your mother.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Well that last comment really stung, so in honor of this thread I guess I'll try to open my mind and give poaching a try.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/PoachEgg2.jpg

Hey, whaddaya know? It's delicious!

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Get off your high horse James...As I said, when and if you are stopped for speeding are you looking to get a speeding ticket or may be hoping for just a warning? If you are just getting a warning, is the cop being flexible? I mean he could have given you a ticket instead with a fine. Wouldn't you be happier with just a warning?

Phillip Allen
11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
sorry Jamie... I don't agree with you but I still wfouldn't have brought down the wrath of the gods as seems to be happening... we're just having different conversations is all

profit can be used to by food... avoid profit and poach food is still profit..."Uncle Idi doesn't 'take' from peoles... peoples just 'give' to Uncle Idi"

Paul Pless
11-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Well that last comment really stung, so in honor of this thread I guess I'll try to open my mind and give poaching a try.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/PoachEgg2.jpg

Hey, whaddaya know? It's delicious!You should try them with a Hollandaise sauce sometime, maybe a side of asparagus. . .

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 10:57 AM
One case Phillip was about survival. The second case was about profit. Big difference to me. Of course I can get the food through a variety of welfare programs...Of course this is something that James would want everyone to do. Feeding off the tit of gov. how nice!.

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
sorry Jamie... I don't agree with you but I still wfouldn't have brought down the wrath of the gods as seems to be happening... we're just having different conversations is all

profit can be used to by food... avoid profit and poach food is still profit..."Uncle Idi doesn't 'take' from peoles... peoples just 'give' to Uncle Idi"Where is the profit Phillip? What profit? I guess you are talking about using food stamps. Guy 1 was not selling them, his family was eating them. Where is the profit? May be a bit of savings with not having to buy hamburg or chicken, but profit, no!In fact it might be considered a savings.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Of course I can get the food through a variety of welfare programs...Of course this is something that James would want everyone to do. Feeding off the tit of gov. how nice!.

Thank you for so carefully reading and understanding my positions. I appreciate the time you took to ferret out all of the nuances and subtleties of my personal and political philosophy, and I am thrilled to see you do such a good job with it. In fact, I think you do a much better job of understanding me than I ever did, so if you wouldn't mind, could you tell me what I think about Keynesian Economics, the Riemann Hypothesis and the existence of Sasquatch because I've been struggling with them.

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 11:31 AM
You will probably follow the libs but I don't know and really I don't care James.Nice deflection in the realm of politics though

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Good grief, Jamie, if you don't know and really don't care, then why do you go ahead and find a way to have a strong opinion about it anyways?

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 11:37 AM
I have a strong opinion on this topic.Yes! Not on many of the threads others write. This one is relevant to me.Discussing theories etc. and whether Obama is electable or whether Cain would be a good president is a waste of my time.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 11:50 AM
I was talking about your characterization of my political philosophy way back there in post #30, Jamie. You really, really don't know, and yet you don't seem to care that you distort and straw-man and project like a whirling dervish.

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 11:51 AM
And you promote yourself as a God. Seeing Black and White no matter the circumstances.." Book em Danno."And I have not touched your political philosphy until you tried to get me into a discussion of that topic which has no relationship to this one.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 11:58 AM
And you promote yourself as a God.

Okay, now we're finally getting somewhere! I'm glad you've chosen to leave the realm of straw-man hyperbole behind and get down to brass tacks!

I'll expect your tithing check in the Donation Plate if you don't want to face My wrath.

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Yup read into what I write even if what you assume is wrong.I'm used to having people assume way too much and am used to it.My feelings differ from your, but then I have a good perspective on and about living in small communities. It is obvious you don't from what you write.So leave it like that.

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Assume way too much, do you? You don't have the faintest idea how big a town I live in, do you? And while I don't really hunt birds much any more, crab trap poaching and illegal overfishing are serious issues in my particular small community--not that you'd know squat about that, eh?

Oh, I'm sick of arguing with you. I feel like my brains have been poached.

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Small eggs I guess. They have a tendency to cook faster.:)

James McMullen
11-13-2011, 12:57 PM
I know, right? I shoulda pulled out after the first three minutes like the recipe said.

Glen Longino
11-13-2011, 12:59 PM
Any thread where Jamie has 16 posts and everybody else has 22 has got to read like the confessions of a madman!:D

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 01:01 PM
I guess I should be a patient in the mental ward where you area patient Glen. We can compare notes.

wardd
11-13-2011, 01:16 PM
anybody need tar baby tar remover?

S.V. Airlie
11-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Why, you got some on your but Wardd?

Glen Longino
11-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I guess I should be a patient in the mental ward where you area patient Glen. We can compare notes.

Translation:
I know I'm crazy as a @*%#house rat and I wish Glen was too!:LOL:D

bobbys
11-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Any thread where Jamie has 16 posts and everybody else has 22 has got to read like the confessions of a madman!:D.

You must have less of a life then i do if you is counting posts on a internet on Sunday!.

Course i did keep a running tally with Spin Drift as she was nearing 10000.

Phillip Allen
11-13-2011, 03:15 PM
anybody need tar baby tar remover?

an official racist remark as defined to the little people by the DNC

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
11-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Where is the profit Phillip? What profit? I guess you are talking about using food stamps. Guy 1 was not selling them, his family was eating them. Where is the profit? May be a bit of savings with not having to buy hamburg or chicken, but profit, no!In fact it might be considered a savings.

He should have been on food stamps. It would have been cheaper for the taxpayers than his poached birds.

Law abiding citizens pay 30 bucks or more per year for a hunting license that allows them x number of birds, let's say 10. Out of state hunters pay $130 for a non-res license to show up for a weekend, then pay an outfitter another $300 for a guided hunt with dogs. The outfitter pays $1300 for his annual license. You get the idea. That bird is worth way more than some frozen chicken legs. Taxpayers wind up paying the tab either way.

Being too proud to accept charity is not a valid excuse to go poaching. Rather than taking a handout from his fellow citizens, the poacher is stealing from them.

purri
11-14-2011, 12:32 AM
He should have been on food stamps. It would have been cheaper for the taxpayers than his poached birds.

Law abiding citizens pay 30 bucks or more per year for a hunting license that allows them x number of birds, let's say 10. Out of state hunters pay $130 for a non-res license to show up for a weekend, then pay an outfitter another $300 for a guided hunt with dogs. The outfitter pays $1300 for his annual license. You get the idea. That bird is worth way more than some frozen chicken legs. Taxpayers wind up paying the tab either way.

Being too proud to accept charity is not a valid excuse to go poaching. Rather than taking a handout from his fellow citizens, the poacher is stealing from them.

Food stayumps doan taste so gud!

PeterSibley
11-14-2011, 01:01 AM

I'm finding this thread very educational .The attitude to ''sucking at the government tit '' or ''taking charity '' is interesting .As far as I'm concerned we are all members of one society and that society looks after those who need a hand .If you're working you pay taxes .When you're not the society helps out .The idea that this is ''sucking at the government tit '' is a strange and warped version of the social contract civilised societies enter into with their citizens. A very good illustration of US them and us thinking .

Phillip Allen
11-14-2011, 07:20 AM
don't get me wrong folks... I too would poach a 'deer' to make ends meet (meat). Then, it would be back to the hard work of looking for work and I think generally finding work even at 8 bucks an hour... by the time I had taken deer on the third or fourth month , it has morphed into life style... what I'm trying to point out is that we are simplifying a complicated matter.
we cannot sit at our dinner tables waiting for attractive work to seek us out

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
11-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I'm finding this thread very educational .The attitude to ''sucking at the government tit '' or ''taking charity '' is interesting .As far as I'm concerned we are all members of one society and that society looks after those who need a hand .If you're working you pay taxes .When you're not the society helps out .The idea that this is ''sucking at the government tit '' is a strange and warped version of the social contract civilised societies enter into with their citizens. A very good illustration of US them and us thinking .

I'm all for providing for "them." I particularly enjoy watching single mothers with their non-employed boyfriends in line in front of me at the quickie-mart buying 30 bucks worth of candy, cookies, doughnuts, ginormous sodas, and chocolate milk for the kiddies with food benefits. I really love it when the wallet comes out to pay cash for the additional 30 bucks worth of beer and cigarettes. That's how I know that the leg-up they've been given is working.

I'm very proud of our social contract. It's almost utopian it's so good.

PeterSibley
11-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Ah ...I see the problem .You would like a completely authoritarian state where anyone sucking at the teat of government gets their expenditures micromanged by the Department of the Undeserving Poor .It would certainly create more employment for the 'right kind' of person, one with firm standards about the worth of candy !

I like your vision ! Soon everyone will be like you!!

I'm all for providing for "them." I particularly enjoy watching single mothers with their non-employed boyfriends in line in front of me at the quickie-mart buying 30 bucks worth of candy, cookies, doughnuts, ginormous sodas, and chocolate milk for the kiddies with food benefits. I really love it when the wallet comes out to pay cash for the additional 30 bucks worth of beer and cigarettes. That's how I know that the leg-up they've been given is working.

I'm very proud of our social contract. It's almost utopian it's so good.

purri
11-15-2011, 06:34 AM
^ now, now! The visually impaired monkey is playing both ends of the field. Relax and enjoy.

Meli
11-15-2011, 06:41 AM
I find the concept of food stamps totally appaling. Dickensian even.
If I'm going to have to get support from the gov to tide me and my kids through a rough patch, It's demoralising enough without some bureaucrat telling me where I can spend my handout and what to spend it on.

I'd rather buy a pound of lentils and a book than white bread and bologna thanks.
US charity appears to still be as cold as a witches tit.
Take the food stamps and tug yer forelock on the way out. Terrific place, the home of equality and democracy eh?
You even begrudge some poor bugger a "stolen" bird to put on his table.

Ready the hulks:rolleyes:

Bah!

Dutch
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLOmvjkBsUs&amp;feature=related

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
Dr T..I've seen this in real life..I used to work 3 jobs at college along with a 21 credit hour class schedule. We had a mom and pop store called Wadlieghs. A guy used to come in and buy fiilers as in garbage for the kids. He would pay for them with food stamps and the pull out a wad of cash bigger than your fist and buy 2-3 cases of beer...Of course, the beer was more important.

pefjr
11-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Due for a story Phillip.. I know you want one.Come to the right place. Of course Ihave told it several times on the forum already but hey, I know many here have short memories..:)

There is this guy..still living and still poaching for food which I have no issue within Cooperstown, NY.

Well, one day some older lady catch him poaching grouse in the pring and decided that it was up to her to call the game warden about it.Of course I amsure that she had her dapper up over this not being a native and really not understanding what she really was gettig into. Most of the locals who knew this man and knew his family and knew that they were exceptionally poor just left his illegal poaching issue alone. Most understood that he was only doing what he had to do.
Anyway, the biddy called up the warden, who not only was wardfen but a local who was more than likely aware of this man's poaching. Common knowledge actually.
Art gets the call though and figurs out that to make the biddy happy, he would have to check this incident out.
That evening, he gets in his state vehicle and goes to the door of the man accused of ummm poaching. The guy lets him in and Art explains the problem. "Well", says the man, "that may be true and maybe it isn't. Why don't you have a seat. we have about 8 chickens in the oven and you are welcome to join us."Art sat down and the man's wife pulls out those 8 chickens, nicely cooked, brown and smelling like heaven. Art took a chair, took one of the birds and started to dig in while spiting out a bunch of shot. "Darn good chicken", he stats, best I have ever had" he continued. By the end of dinner, all that remained basically was a bunch of bones.
The next day, Art called the old biddy and said that he checked this accusation out thoroughly, but at the end of his search, he couldn't find any evidence to speak of. Nothing else happened to the poacher after that.No tickets, no summons,no more complaints, nothing.So Art, the poacher , and his wife ate ate chickens? I ain't buying this story, no sale!

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
Actually he has 5 kids...I just cjecked via google that there are 63,000 residents in Otsego County and in the same report, 400 jobs were created..WOW 400! I'm sure one man with barely a high school education was one of them.

pefjr
11-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Actually he has 5 kids...Oh, OK, a chicken a piece, that's different. You must be talking about rock hens. That's still an awful lot of chicken, so, no sale. You also said yourself there were bones left, are the bones not evidence? Next, you'll be telling us the warden's name was Boudreaux and his assistant was Thibodeaux.

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I guess they should have been sent out for *a DNA test..:)

Meli
11-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Dr T..I've seen this in real life..I used to work 3 jobs at college along with a 21 credit hour class schedule. We had a mom and pop store called Wadlieghs. A guy used to come in and buy fiilers as in garbage for the kids. He would pay for them with food stamps and the pull out a wad of cash bigger than your fist and buy 2-3 cases of beer...Of course, the beer was more important.

Every society in every class has negligent parents.
For every such tale, I can match you with one of wealthy people, handing their kids 300 bucks to buy alcohol to amuse themselves with, while they they go away for the weekend (I'm talking under 16's here)
or actually give them and their friends open access to their cocain/dope/alcohol while they go out to a concert.
Or their kids going out to buy potato chips and crap because their parent is too pissed to cook dinner.

Stories of single mums and the supermarket trolly full of lollies are easy.
How to you spot the single mum with the trolly full of healthy food and vegies?
The eye sees what it wishes to behold.

Phillip Allen
11-15-2011, 04:12 PM
For every such tale, I can match you with one of wealthy people, handing their kids 300 bucks to buy alcohol to amuse themselves with, while they they go away for the weekend (I'm talking under 16's here)
or actually give them and their friends open access to their cocain/dope/alcohol while they go out to a concert.
Or their kids going out to buy potato chips and crap because their parent is too pissed to cook dinner.

The eye sees what it wishes to behold.

easy... she has two gallons of milk in quart sized cartons... better for small hands

pefjr
11-15-2011, 04:17 PM

The eye sees what it wishes to behold.So, you don't think ol Jamie is pullet our leg?

S.V. Airlie
11-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Ped spend sometime in Otsego, County..Go on an ambulance call when you are trying to do CPR on a guy on the floors and the floor is so rotten that CPR was impossible to preform. Then tell me I'm pulling your leg. People do live in poverty,if you haven't noticed that while sitting in your comphy chair and and waiting for a nice dinner bought at the local A%P and cooked by your wife so be it..That couch is awfully comfy isn't is and a good place to voice your opinions...

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
11-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Ah ...I see the problem .You would like a completely authoritarian state where anyone sucking at the teat of government gets their expenditures micromanged by the Department of the Undeserving Poor .It would certainly create more employment for the 'right kind' of person, one with firm standards about the worth of candy !

I like your vision ! Soon everyone will be like you!!

No, not at all. In fact I have no interest in seeing food assistance being restricted to actual food. People need to have the freedom to buy "food like items" and Brand Name Corn Syrup and Sparkling Water Mix. It's the American Way. See, we're not Commies here in 'murika. We don't put every lazy "chav" on "the dole" for 400 bucks a week like the European Socialists do. We've got limited aid dollars, and those dollars go to people with kids. They should, and do, get to spend those dollars as they wish.

Custodial parents can get section 8 housing which can make rent free, or nearly free. They can get food stamps sufficient to provide for every mouth at the table. Once the children are of school age, the school will feed them free or nearly free breakfast, lunch, and in some places dinner as well. The children as well as pregnant and nursing mothers will also receive free health care . A small welfare check is usually included in the package as well.

The childless however don't get the free rent. They become homeless if they can't afford housing. They can get some food assistance, often something like 50 bucks a month. And that's it.

This is the way our system works, and as I said, it's near utopian. I love nothing more than buying pre-packaged food-like snack items for people who happen to reproduce like rabbits, while letting the widow down the street eat cat food. It's the way it's supposed to be.