PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! I'm turning into my mother!

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Most men are quite happy to turn into their fathers (young women should be aware of this - in assessing a future husband, consider carefully whether, in due course, you would want to be married, not to him, but to his hugely annoying father!) but women try not to turn into their mothers.

In my case bringing up two boys without a mother for them I find myself ...coming out with "Dry your hair!/ The floor is not the laundry basket!/ Have you brushed your teeth!/Yes, you do need to wear a vest / Look with your eyes and not with your mouth!/ Hang that up/Put that away/Clean your shoes/ NOT on the carpet/ Make your bed /Why should I know where you put it / the washing up does not do itself...etc, etc...)

This is so humiliating! ;)

I need a wife - NOT to do the work, just to come out with the mother-type remarks!

isla
11-12-2011, 06:44 AM
Perhaps you could employ a pretty Swedish au pair, eh? Nudge nudge, say no more squire BY:D

Katherine
11-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Now that my sisters have kids, we're all amazed at how much like my mother and grandmothers we all sound with them. We swore we wouldn't, but as it turns out, mom and grandmas were right, lol!

David W Pratt
11-12-2011, 10:37 AM
The two worst things kids do is scare the liver out of you with the stupid, dangerous things they do and make you say the same things your parents used to, which so annoyed you.

Paul Pless
11-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Now that my sisters have kids, we're all amazed at how much like my mother and grandmothers we all sound with them. We swore we wouldn't, but as it turns out, mom and grandmas were right, lol!I don't sound like your mom and grandmother when I'm around those sick little *************!

coelacanth2
11-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Same thing has happened to us, Andrew. We've used some of the same phrases, too. How old are they ?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2011, 02:40 PM
Nne going on ten and ("this house is not an hotel") sixteen going on seventeen.

Does it ever end?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Does it ever end?

Seems not. (23 and 25)

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Oh, goody.

If I ask the older one to do his own ironing he will take an hour on a single shirt. No doubt his mind is occupied with Higher Things.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-12-2011, 03:08 PM
Bet you can't get him to practice on yours.

Meli
11-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Hopefully they're some expressions we dont use.
"Oh stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" I assume my mother got this from her mother. Just a reflex comment never carried out but not nice.

I have taken great pains not to be like my mother, hence I do not iron socks, make the beds, or perform other generally pointless tasks. :D

Your comment re men turning into their fathers seems to be generally spot on and I will advise my daughter to observe prospective FIL's carefully, not that it will do much good:rolleyes:

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Agreed, Meli; I don't use that one.

bobbys
11-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I used to tell my kids to run away from home like normal kids...

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2011, 06:16 PM
Bet you can't get him to practice on yours.

Right now he has gone to sleep with his Sea cadet No 1's white shirt un-ironed and his trousers un-pressed...confident no doubt in the knowledge that I will weaken...

PeterSibley
11-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I remember as a young fella, going to pick up my girl friend and looking over her shoulder at her mother and wincing a little .I'm sure that we are now the subject of those winces .:o

Hopefully they're some expressions we dont use.
"Oh stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about" I assume my mother got this from her mother. Just a reflex comment never carried out but not nice.

I have taken great pains not to be like my mother, hence I do not iron socks, make the beds, or perform other generally pointless tasks. :D

Your comment re men turning into their fathers seems to be generally spot on and I will advise my daughter to observe prospective FIL's carefully, not that it will do much good:rolleyes:

Meli
11-12-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't iron anything unless I'm going out somewhere formal.
Waste of time. Most of our clothes are natural fibre. I just wash em, dont let them get bone dry on the line, fold them and put em away.
The creases drop out from kids body heat and natural sweatyness :D

Don't ya know that a man in a clean but non ironed shirt is a natural nurturing type magnet? :D

hokiefan
11-12-2011, 08:07 PM

Does it ever end?

Have you become stupid yet? I did when my oldest became 17. I'm not quite back to reasonably intelligent yet!

Cheers,

Bobby

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Have you become stupid yet? I did when my oldest became 17. I'm not quite back to reasonably intelligent yet!

Cheers,

Bobby

I think I am starting to become stupid; he is starting to s p e a k t o m e r a t h e r s l o w l y a n d a b i t l o u d e r ....

coelacanth2
11-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Mine will be 15 in 8 days (if we don't trade him in) and has developed severe case of SD - selective deafness. This comes with a free helping of "Exasperated Teen Huffiness". We get frequent flashes of the young man he will eventually become.

My Father in law (shortly after I married his lovely daughter) said to me,"Your brother in law retreated sullenly to his room when he was 14 and emerged 6 years later as a fully formed and rather pleasant human being. Unfortunately, his sister your wife was in our face the entire time".

Mrleft8
11-12-2011, 09:06 PM
There are worse things, Andrew. You could turn into your Mother-in-law! (Or ex-mother-in-law) :D

hokiefan
11-12-2011, 09:46 PM
I think I am starting to become stupid; he is starting to s p e a k t o m e r a t h e r s l o w l y a n d a b i t l o u d e r ....

Never fear, it will pass. In a couple of looonnnnnggg years!

Mine will be 15 in 8 days (if we don't trade him in) and has developed severe case of SD - selective deafness. This comes with a free helping of "Exasperated Teen Huffiness". We get frequent flashes of the young man he will eventually become.

Somewhere in there Mom had a fill out a medical history on me for my physical. On the subject of hearing she answered, "Convenient" The old doc laughed, because he knew exactly what she meant.

Cheers,

Bobby

coelacanth2
11-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Speaking of mothers in law: 2cannibals are eating dinner. One says to the other,"I really hate my mother in law". The other cannibal replies,"So have some more of the potatoes".

Waddie
11-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Mothers are the reason men become civilized. If left to our own devices we would all be eating out of the garbage and living in cardboard boxes, with nary a social skill between us.

regards,
Waddie

PS. It must be tough being both the mother and the father -- a little like multiple personalities I guess.

coelacanth2
11-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Waddie

And your problem with that is?:D

Syed
11-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Most men are quite happy to turn into their fathers (young women should be aware of this - in assessing a future husband, consider carefully whether, in due course, you would want to be married, not to him, but to his hugely annoying father!) but women try not to turn into their mothers.

In my case bringing up two boys without a mother for them I find myself ...coming out with "Dry your hair!/ The floor is not the laundry basket!/ Have you brushed your teeth!/Yes, you do need to wear a vest / Look with your eyes and not with your mouth!/ Hang that up/Put that away/Clean your shoes/ NOT on the carpet/ Make your bed /Why should I know where you put it / the washing up does not do itself...etc, etc...)

I need a wife - NOT to do the work, just to come out with the mother-type remarks!

:) Precisely, you are turning into your kids mother.

Anthony Zucker
11-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Dear Andrew;

It gets better, I promise you.

Granted, I've not walked in your shoes. We've been married for 40 years, have daughters and now grandchildren.

But some morning(hopefully not soon) you will be awakened by grandchildren demanding that you take them to the boat; then everything will have been worth the effort.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks Syed and Anthony.

Actually, I have a Cunning Plan:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/acraigbennett/DSCF1144-1-1.jpg + http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/acraigbennett/CorinaandKrianatMelshouseb-1.jpg...............

+ http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/acraigbennett/Mirelle/mirelle2.jpg?t=1268824707.

= ?...

Maybe .http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/acraigbennett/ugley.jpg............... but maybe not!

Keith Wilson
11-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Does it ever end?Not yet. (22 & 25) Maybe someday - although the younger one shows signs of turning into a responsible adult. When they were teenagers, I developed a lot more sympathy for my own parents; I suppose that's a good thing.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
11-13-2011, 10:18 AM

Cheers,

Bobby

I asked him this morning whether I am becoming stupid, on the grounds that he tends to speak slowly and loudly to me.

He confirmed that I am indeed becoming stupid.

David W Pratt
11-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Number 1 daughter is expecting, SWMBO is getting ready to be really stupid about babies.

Spin_Drift
11-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Mothers are the reason men become civilized. If left to our own devices we would all be eating out of the garbage and living in cardboard boxes, with nary a social skill between us.......

And your problem with that is?:D

LOL... The problem is SEX; birds of the feather...Just imagine the kind of mate those males would attract if any...and sex with most of the HUMAN females would be out....eek...

So, if it wasn't for us of the "fairer sex" teaching our male offspring to be at least semi-civilized, it would spell the end of humans as we know.

OMG....and all kinds of disease would run rampart...and females would form societies among theirselves to keep the stinking, garbage eating men out....and/or females would take them for slaves and workers...maybe even clean a few (teachable) lucky speciments up for breeding purposes...

So, -better to have mothers teach their male offspring become at least partly civilized than the alternative, huh?

As per above, now you have an idea how lucky you are to have mothers (or fathers) who taught you be semi civilized...:) the rest was up to you.

So ACB, keep up the good work. Your boys will turn out better for it :D and yes, the right mate to help you rase your kids would be great.... And as to hauling them in the little dinghy behind your sailboat.... Well, they would love it ;):) with proper life vests, of course...

Hmm, -this has potential for a book...lol...;)

purri
11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
FWIW I can iron a shirt (incl silk) and cook a variety of dishes better than the missus (when I apply my mind to it), otherwise I remain in the background muttering noises of approval. My domestic and gardening skills are acceptable and no I am not open to any offers.

Her rowing/sculling and knitting/sewing skills are exceptional (plus conflict negotiation when I go "off my trolley" as ESTJ often do ) but her keelboat skippering leaves her indecisive and prone to thinking "wotif" .

Thus acceptable symbiosis.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Update:

Our sprogs having interviewed each other, and having been engaged for a year and more, we are now talking about marrying next summer.

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/acraigbennett/7a838b54-7f29-418f-a7dd-a7b5bc388acd_zpsb6dad88c.jpg

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee352/acraigbennett/utf-8BSU1HMDA1NzgtMjAxMjA4MjUtMTI1MC5qcGc_zps710c371c. jpg

Peerie Maa
10-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Damned good show. Congratulations to all of you :D

Paul Pless
10-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Updatedid you buy Mytika yet?

Paul Pless
10-21-2013, 03:40 PM
Oh yeah congrats Andrew!

Flying Orca
10-21-2013, 04:02 PM
I don't sound like your mom and grandmother when I'm around those sick little *************!

Oooooooh, that's a LOT of asterisks!

Flying Orca
10-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Update:

Our sprogs having interviewed each other, and having been engaged for a year and more, we are now talking about marrying next summer.

Excellent. I'm very much in favour of the triumph of hope over experience, and I'd marry the Oystagirl (she'd be #3) if she were so inclined. Life's too short to live alone or miss a good wedding, I say.

JDolby
10-21-2013, 04:12 PM

As long as your tits aren't growing, you'll be fine!
(sorry, couldnt resist)
Joan

The Bigfella
10-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Excellent news. Did the boys make a trip east with you?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Excellent news. Did the boys make a trip east with you?

Yes; when merging families it is best to proceed with a measure of caution! And my two have dual citizenship anyway.

Michael D. Storey
10-21-2013, 06:33 PM

Does it ever end?
Yes it does. They change, when they see that it is to their advantage to do so. Want to make good on the job? Do your laundry, and learn to take the shirts out of the dryer before they wrinkle. Want to impress people who visit? Keep the place clean. same with your car. And your bank account, and how you speak to your mother, and how it is important (read vital) that you come over to the old man's house to help him do what you said that you were going to do.
They learn it. Which is why, barring some tragedy, we will not be raising our grandchildren, and, as if the cake needed more icing, maybe they will have learned the skill and wisdom that we showed them, and the better judgment to avoid the rage and the misbehaviours that we lacked the good sense to hide from them.

bamamick
10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Stuff has to be taken care of, and kids taught the right way to do things, whether it's one parent or two, or a brother or sister, aunt, uncle or just a good friend as a mentor. I was so very fortunate in that my wife and I raised our kids together but that's not the norm nowadays. My kids often tell me how lucky they feel that their mom and I still love one another and that we did our best to take care of them together, but you know, if it had turned out differently they still have to be raised, and raised in what we would consider to be the right way: to be kind, to be caring, and to be responsible. Being able to sail would be a bonus, but you can't have everything. :)

Wasn't it one of the 'Lord of the Rings' things where a character says that there is a lot of wisdom to be found in the things that old wives keep in their memories and pass along to the younger people? We may not all be old wives, but we had moms, and if we were lucky enough to have spent much time with them then we have some of that knowledge to pass along to our kids when they need it. Nothing wrong with that, my friend. Not at all.

Mickey Lake