PDA

View Full Version : lost site

indianabob
11-10-2011, 10:04 PM
maybe someone knows of this site,,,,it talked about bending wood for boats,,, using a pipe with the wood in it,,, and pulling a vacuum,,, no heat,,i need to read it again,,, indianabob

The Bigfella
11-10-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.tai-workshop.com/english/tech-2(b)-e.html

indianabob
11-10-2011, 10:55 PM
nice site, thanks,,,, but im looking for, using a vacuum chamber (pvc Pipe) to prepar the wood for bending,,, bob

indianabob
11-15-2011, 09:12 AM
found it,,, wahoo,,,,,visit the wizzards of bramblewood,,, lotsa good info there... indianabob

richard s
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey there I am a new guy here but through the years I have had to bend a loot of wood. I am a 35 plus years finsish carpenter and cabinent maker. Just for kicks I followed the links above and saw the trials the bramblewood boys went through Whew what a mess. I had to chuckle because I have gone throughh the exact same process however my conclusions were to ramp up the steam and I mean really ramp it up. I had tried building all manner of steamer boxes and different methods of steam production and what I came up with that works extremely well was a run to the local Home Depot (where they make mediocrity acceptable) and purchased a length of 5"" or 6" ( black) i think it ABS pipe a dryer vent kit and some adjustable pipe clamps. Take a turkey fryer and cut a hole in the lid and attach the dryer vent directly to the top ie pop rivets and attach the shortes length of dryer vent that allows you to work safetly in the proximity to the flame. This method produces a lot of steam I always block the other end of the pipe with rags to allow for release of pressure (real deal safety tip) incline the pipe slightly place the wood into the pipe and let steam for at least an Hr for 3/4" of wood thickness. I always try to get the straighest grain possible but with this method the volume of steam and the temperatures being maintained combined with the proper cook time you can pretty much bend anything successfully. Wear gloves have your forms ready work site clear work quickly and have fun with it Its not nearly as daunting as its been made out to be. The sucess ratios should be in the high 95-98% there are just some pieces of wood that are just going to break irregardless of how much attention to detail you put into your process however if you break more than one you need to let it cook longer. Good luck

Nicholas Carey
11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
http://home.fuse.net/thewizard/

All I can say is...there's a whole lot too much thinking and analyzing going on there WRT to doing something that people have been doing quite successfully for several thousand years.

A vacuum chamber? To get your bending stock wet?

Way simpler to just bundle up your bending stock, put it on a leash and toss it into a pond 'till you need it.

No pond? No problem: Make a heavy duty plastic bag of sufficient size out of sheet plastic. Slide your bending stock in. Throw in a bunch of sawdust, enough to cover the bending stock. Hose down the inside of the bag til everything's good and wet. There you go. Check it every couple of days and add some more water as necessary.

I suspect a lot of their bend failures, aside from grain runout, had to do with the wood not being hot enough. Even if they steamed it long enough, with stock as small as what they had to work with (1/4 x 1/2 inch), you've got no thermal mass to speak of. Once you pull a piece from the steamer, its temperature is dropping fast and you've got less than a minute to get it bent in and clamped.