PDA

View Full Version : Which outboard?

RichKrough
11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
So my $610 plastic lobster skiff has a bad motor (1982 Johnson 70hp), It runs but has 55-60 lbs of compression and the impeller isn't pumping water, it likely has been overheated. I had a friend who works on outboards come by this morning and after a leakdown test and look at cooling system he declared it dead. Frankly I wasn't expecting the motor to run at all.

So here as some choices I have.

New, I would reduce HP with the new engines to save on fuel and maintain the same weight on the transom ~250# The same model boat often has a 50 hp pushing it.
Brand new motors with controls and PDI ;

Yamaha F50 $7500
Honda BF50 $8500-9000
Tohatsu 50TLDI (2 stroke) $6500
Yamaha 50TLR (2 stroke with carbs) $4800 ( plus $300 in tow expenses to Va for PDI)

My other choice is to buy another 70hp Johnson/Evinrude. Main advantage is easy to repair myself and relatively cheap parts available everywhere, Less upfront cost and no need to change controls. Big disadvantage is fuel ,anywhere from 1 to 2+ gallons more per hour at cruise.

A rebuild/re-manufactured $3500-4000 (seems pricey)
A clean used motor , I found a 2000 70hp with 130# compression for $900 and a 30 day return .

I'm favoring new for fuel consumption and convenience , my wife is favoring the another 70hp OMC motor because she likes they are easily serviced and have a low long term cost ( her dad owned a marina and was an OMC dealer)

What do you all think?

B_B
11-10-2011, 05:41 PM
How much do you use it?

RonW
11-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Buy a used one, Honda is out of their frigging mind..do a internet search to buy online Mercury..

Paul Pless
11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Yamaha 50TLR (2 stroke with carbs) $4800 ( plus $300 in tow expenses to Va for PDI)I owned an aluminum jonboat that lived in the water on the river for years with this exact motor. I can't heap enough praise on it. It performed well, it was rugged, it would run with bad gas, it has a real 'limp home' mode that saved my butt a few times. (the river I ran it on was 53 miles between boat ramps with only two road crossings and seven houses on it). Never any major problems out of the motor the entire time I owned and I fished it hard 100 or more days a year for seven years. It always got me home. In the entire time that I owned it I never once had to resort to using the pull cord to start it. I sold it to a friend of mine and to the best of my knowledge its still going strong, at least it was last summer.

RichKrough
11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
Ron, Honda prices are insane around here period. be it boats, bikes or cars.

Braam, I'm figuring around 150 hours a year

Paul, That 50TLR is my first choice of all of them. Good price IMO for new , $1000 under MSRP . Just a big hassle to tow the boat to Va. Dealer won't sell without PDI . It might be worth waiting and try to find a used 50 or 70.

RonW
11-14-2011, 02:14 PM
http://smalloutboards.com/

Rich I had to go to my home computer for links, here is a 70 evinrude used, for $2800..

and foe new..http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/mercury.htm

TANSTAF1
11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
WTH is a $610 PLASTIC lobster skiff?

I like my Tohatsu, but only Tohatsu dealers will work on it and they are few and far between.

RichKrough
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
WTH is a $610 PLASTIC lobster skiff?

I like my Tohatsu, but only Tohatsu dealers will work on it and they are few and far between.

I have a 6hp Tohatsu sailmaster on the sailboat. It has been a good motor but even with a Racor filter/separator it isn't loving pump gas. I had to clean the carb several times the past year.
I ended up buying the 2000 Johnson 70.

Oh yeah, The $610 plastic boat. The green plastic helm chair was extra. The hydraulic pot hauler still works

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo135/velonomad/boathome.jpg

http://i369.photobucket.com/albums/oo135/velonomad/md3.jpg

TimmS
11-14-2011, 06:36 PM
I wonder if you could find a $2000 boat with a good motor?

B_B
11-14-2011, 08:44 PM
I believe Nissan's are rebranded Tohatsu's - i.e. same motor different livery.
There might another 'brand' or 'brands' that's are Tohatsu in different clothing, IIRC, they are the largest manufacturers of outboards on the planet, but I've been wrong before...'

edit: FWIW I have a 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke and love it to death.

B_B
11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I stand somewhat corrected:

They are the second largest producer of outboards in the world ... Mercury outboards, in the U.S., from 30 hp and below are rebadged Tohatsus. All Nissan outboard engines in North America are Tohatsus with a Nissan decal. In 2011, Tohatsu and Evinrude Outboard Motors made a deal to make smaller engines ranging from 15 HP and down with Evinrude decals
from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tohatsu

TANSTAF1
11-15-2011, 08:11 AM
. . .
Oh yeah, The $610 plastic boat. The green plastic helm chair was extra. The hydraulic pot hauler still works

In my ignorance I did not realize that fiberglass was plastic.

But I like the boat even with the helm chair - but it would need a cushion for my toosh.

Tylerdurden
11-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I would rebuild as parts are still available for it. Just don't let anyone talk you into a half assed rebuild but instead a thorough tear down. If you can afford new Honda is a great motor and would be my first choice.

Bob Adams
11-15-2011, 09:07 AM
I'm with Mark....it's winter, time for a nice inside project. At least tear it down enough to check the cyl bores, if they aren't deeply scored, get youself a service manual and have at it. Parts for a re-ring and an impeller aren't that expensive.