PDA

View Full Version : e-cigarettes or "just say no"

PhaseLockedLoop
11-09-2011, 11:43 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/08/science/e-cigarettes-help-smokers-quit-but-they-have-some-unlikely-critics.html?_r=1&ref=science

Interesting article, if it's accurate. It claims that the pressure to ban e-cigarettes comes mostly from liberal groups, who insist that people "just say no" to anything even resembling smoking. Usually it's the conservatives who do the "just say no" routine, and oppose efforts to just reduce harm, like methadone or safe sex.

Eddiebou
11-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Interesting

skipper68
11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
I have E cigarettes. I can recharge them from my PC. No different than a patch or gum. I like the menthol better.

Breakaway
11-09-2011, 08:03 PM
I smoke and cant get motivated to quit. A good friend quit by going to the e-buts. He hasn't smoked in months and doesnt miss it. He does continue to " smoke"the water vapor of the e-cigs. So they work.

, who insist that people "just say no" to anything even resembling smoking

I was on a video conference today and lit up--in my own home office, where I was alone--and a participant one-thousand miles away, over the internet, complained that I was smoking! I mean, really...

Kevin

skipper68
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I quit for 2 years. Within 2 weeks, I could run up 3 story's, without being out of breath. I felt great, tho agitated, which gave me nervous energy.Went walking, brushed my teeth, got busy. I chose hi protein/low carb for the munching. I took extra potassium and vitamin's. Magic. I would have a cigarette when I had a drink, but didn't inhale, it was the hand- drink thing. The E cigs are great.

yzer
11-10-2011, 05:00 AM
I smoked for 35 years. Last year I quit for a month, cold turkey. It didn't work after a month. I started nicotine while pulling tobacco for harvest in North Carolina during the 1960's.

The physical withdrawal symptoms weren't that bad. But, at one month without nicotine I found that that my mind wasn't working right. I worked as a professional for 28 years. As a non-smoker I could not think as quickly or decisively as I did with nicotine in my bloodstream. I felt crippled. I went back to smoking because I felt mentally impaired without it. No kidding.

I'm looking seriously into e-cigarettes now. Nicotine is non-carcinogenic. It's the other 4,000 constituents of natural tobacco smoking that kills people... my mother died from emphysema. It's time that we all wised up about about tobacco and e-cigarettes. I'm 1/16th Cherokee, not that that matters much anymore.

Orange
11-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Saw that John Stossel had an article on e-cigarettes today. Seems that they have been effective at saving lives, up to 8 million.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/stossel/blog/2011/11/10/fda-kills-smokers

switters
11-10-2011, 12:54 PM
at the beginning of summer I had a weight loss goal, and told myself that if I overshot by 5 pounds I would quit smoking because then I would need new pants that fit, if I quit the cigs I would gain weight and not need new clothes. somehow I hit that goal +5 when I got back from elk hunting, so I will be taking up the pipe again. If that doesn't work then I will probably try the e-cigs for a while. Wonder if I could get in a quick puff in my office now and then on those?

Flying Orca
11-11-2011, 12:44 PM
The Champix (Chantix in the USA) side effects are pretty hideous, but I'm now off both the Champix and the smokes. Feeling pretty good about that. :D

skipper68
11-12-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm going to walk away again, and use my e cigs for the satisfaction, with my cocktails. Stop beer, and have Scotch or Tequila instead.. The real truth is, you have to get mad- VERY mad, at the effects the real ones do at withdrawal. It's proven worst than a addiction to heroin. Use it as a FU, and get determined .Within 3 days, I was sick to my stomach smelling them. That is the worst. You want to drink LOTS of water- jump in the shower when you want one- go for a long walk, brush your teeth, drink orange juice... Then your brain will tell you, time to light up. On the phone, after dinner. The cup of coffee is the worst. Go outside, with a non spill cup, and walk. Go on vitamins with extra potassium, take all the high protein snacks you want, but stop sugar and carbs.(read labels) They mimic the cravings. You will feel the strength come back FAST. BTW, I ran into a friend a few years ago. I asked him when the craving stops. After 3 years w/o any, his answer was "I'll tell you when, if it ever stops". It NEVER stops. Out of no where, your brain says-Light Up!! Years later. It IS a life long fight. I quit 2 years, and 1 cigarette had me a pack a day, in a week.