PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket spin-on diesel fuel filter

Ron Williamson
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
I have an older 40 hp tractor(Allis-Chalmers 5040,which is a re-badged Universal with a 3 cyl.Fiat diesel) with cartridge style fuel filters that have separate sediment bowls.
Does any one have a source for an adapter that would bolt in place and convert them to a Racor spin-on style?
The old style are major PITA to get the O-rings to stay clean and stay put during installation.
Thanks
R

Canoeyawl
10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
"bolt in place" makes it difficult, Both Wix and Donaldson make fuel filter heads that will accept spin-on filters. They can be bolted to a suitable bracket.
We change these out often, you are right the cannister type filters are a pain.
I can give you part numbers for what I use, but we are dealing with 400+ hp so they will be large for your application.
Call the tech support line. Ask for a filter head part # that accepts a common filter.

Ron Williamson
10-31-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks
Knowing what to call it always seems to be half the battle.
The conversion seems pretty common and my loader is already done the easy way from the factory.The parts look almost interchangeable to the tractor.
IMHO,the bolt up is needed because there are four fuel lines(three hard piped,with banjo bolts) attached to the secondary.The primary has a bit more flexibility.

BTW,spilled diesel will light off from a live block heater cord/element,when it shorts over the terminals.
That made my heart go pitty pat.
R

Canoeyawl
11-01-2011, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't give up that easily.
The banjo bolt type fittings can be resweated onto new hard lines, or made up into flexible lines by simply cutting off the pipe leaving an inch or so and slipping a new flexible line over and clamping it.
If you want to go deluxe you can have braided stainless lines made up with banjo type ends.

Ron Williamson
11-01-2011, 05:43 AM
D'oh!
I was under the impression that the hard pipes were under a pretty high pressure and that flex wouldn't work,BUT after thinkin abote it(Double D'oh!)there is no way that the filter can could stand much pressure at at all.
Thanks again
R

Michael D. Storey
11-01-2011, 07:55 AM
D'oh!
I was under the impression that the hard pipes were under a pretty high pressure and that flex wouldn't work,BUT after thinkin abote it(Double D'oh!)there is no way that the filter can could stand much pressure at at all.
Thanks again
R

When I fitted an auxilliary oil cooler to the MGA, I had to do just that. I change out the flex lines every third year or so, reckoning that a leak would be pretty bad. Double clamps.

Canoeyawl
11-01-2011, 11:13 AM
On the transfer pump side of a diesel fuel injection the pressure is pretty low, in fact it could be negative pressure from a filter to the transfer pump depending on how the system is built.
Most will be about 5-10psi, just enough to reliably transfer the fuel to the high pressure pump. Some engines will use a system that may have 100psi or so, but even this is still well within the range of flexible lines and hose clamps.
Often when we see hard lines in a system to the filter the issue is suction, and possibly collapsing a line. Study the system a bit to know. Suction rated flexible line will work though, no problem.
A common fuel related issue is older hose on the suction side of a system collapsing internally. Of course to inspect it you have to remove it and look and then the hose will resume its original shape... problem. I often fit up standard crimp type hydraulic lines in this application.
The "Push-Lok" type hose systems have a working pressure of about 200psi and use no clamps at all.
Note * that Coast Guard approved flexible fuel line is very good stuff.

Ron Williamson
11-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Good words.
Thanks for the info.
R

Ron Williamson
05-22-2013, 06:26 AM
Bumpity update.

I finally got around to this project.
Using two of these
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-filter-bases/24770.html
and one each of these;
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-filter-bases/33352.html
for the secondary and
http://www.fleetfilter.com/filter/wix-filter-bases/33405.html
for the primary.

The filter base isn't ideal because there is no bleeder fitting,but I think I could pipe a T into a high loop to catch the air.
I still managed to bleed it in about 10 minutes.

Because these filters are almost twice the height of the stock units, I had to make some extensions for the mounting brackets.
One added benefit is that the water separator doesn't piss out onto the starter motor and wiring anymore.
The cost of the brass bits to adapt down to the right size for the existing fuel lines was almost eye watering.
R

Canoeyawl
05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
You can fit a "street run tee" into the filter head and install one of these into the branch of the tee.

http://www.manecontrols.co.uk/images/512b40d78627d.jpg

Harbourmaster
05-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Glad to see that you worked out a solution but for anyone else that comes along to this thread at a later time have a look at these fuel filter retrofits from Cummins/Fleetguard

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/innovation/products/fuel_processors/fuel_processors.html