PDA

View Full Version : Stickys and "rank" & handle.

CapnJ2ds
10-30-2011, 04:42 AM
I've been following and occasionally participating the WBF for a couple of years now, and a couple or three things have eluded my few remaining brain cells;

1] Stickys. Just what and why are stickys? (And why are there so many on the building forum?) Someone asked a similar question a little while ago, but that thread veered off in other directions without giving a clear answer.

2] "Rank". I notice various of us are labelled "Junior Member" and "Senior Member". What are the qualifications? If it's the time you've been on the WBF then I should probably call myself a Junior Member. On the other hand, if to be a Senior Member you have to be a cranky old bathplug with a full set of biases, then I qualify there. :o Alas, I note that the position of Senior Mumbler is taken.

3] Handle. Is it acceptable to change your forum handle? (And if so, how do you do it?) The one I'm using "CapnJ2ds" was dreamed up by the person who introduced me the internet and the WBF (He should probably be charged with Aiding and Abetting) but I feel it's maybe a bit pretentious: my only qualification is that of a commercial launchmaster (Yes, the certificate is written on a papyrus scroll.) and being addressed as "Captain" makes me a bit uncomfortable.

Paul Pless
10-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Oy Capitan,

A 'sticky' merely pins the thread to the top of the page. Its to draw attention to a thread that some people might otherwise miss.

So Captain, when you reach 100 posts, the forum software automatically makes you a senior member. As you know and have done yourself this can be over-rided.

And Captain, under very special circumstances, the admin can change your forum moniker, but you cannot do it yourself. It creates confusion and jealousy. I thinko you should stick with captain.

Peerie Maa
10-30-2011, 05:06 AM
I've been following and occasionally participating the WBF for a couple of years now, and a couple or three things have eluded my few remaining brain cells;

1] Stickys. Just what and why are stickys? (And why are there so many on the building forum?) Someone asked a similar question a little while ago, but that thread veered off in other directions without giving a clear answer.A sticky keeps the thread at the top of the page. It is awarded by the administrator because it is of high quality, useful, or should not be lost for some other valid reason.

2] "Rank". I notice various of us are labelled "Junior Member" and "Senior Member". What are the qualifications? If it's the time you've been on the WBF then I should probably call myself a Junior Member. On the other hand, if to be a Senior Member you have to be a cranky old bathplug with a full set of biases, then I qualify there. :o Alas, I note that the position of Senior Mumbler is taken. I think that nobody knows. You can change it to what ever you want, go to "My Profile" at the top right of the screen, you should find the editing tools in there. The Great Scot may explain why "Senior" or Junior" if you send a nice PM

3] Handle. Is it acceptable to change your forum handle? (And if so, how do you do it?) The one I'm using "CapnJ2ds" was dreamed up by the person who introduced me the internet and the WBF (He should probably be charged with Aiding and Abetting) but I feel it's maybe a bit pretentious: my only qualification is that of a commercial launchmaster (Yes, the certificate is written on a papyrus scroll.) and being addressed as "Captain" makes me a bit uncomfortable.Again ask admin. You may have to rejoin under the handle that you want, some have expressed the view that this should be your real name. Rules forbid this as a way to circumvent a banning, but doing so now, with clearly stated reasons in writing may be OK.

seanz
10-30-2011, 05:07 AM
1. "stickys" keep a thread at the top of the page. They're the more worthwhile (from a Wooden Boat perspective) threads and the powers that be want you to enjoy them. There are a lot of stickys in B&R and very few in The Bilge, you work it out. ;)

2. I think "Senior Member" is awarded automatically after 100 posts. I should remember to ask if the Senior Mumbler needs an apprentice, it's about time I had a Trade.

3. You can change your handle, but you have to approach the Admin (Scot) and in the two cases of this happening that I know of, both forum members had better reasons than "oops". :) If being called Captain makes you uncomfortable, would you prefer Admiral?

Edit: Jeebus, I'm typing slow tonight! :o

Do you feel adequately assisted, Capn?
:D

P-man
10-30-2011, 05:08 AM
i believe i became a senior member after my 100th post.

Willin'
10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
You can always log on as a different entity if you want to change your name. It's frowned on and some refer to those as 'Sock Puppets', especially if you conduct conversations between both personnas, as has been done by at least one forumite in the past to immense scorn.

Personally, my first logon was a mild but common Kiwi expletive that I later realized may be offensive to some members, so I abandoned it. Hmmmm, I wonder...

yesiam
10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Interesting thread and I think you have gotten your answer from the posters above. I also used to wonder what the heck sticky's were.

With regard to "Seniorty"....well I had that pulled on me when I first joined this forum in 2010. I do not venture very often into the Bilge now, but I did back then. I started a post on some political subject and someone took offense to it and came back with a post to me that I did not have any "bilge cred" with only a couple of dozen posts compared to the thousands he had....so I guess you can say I have had the seniority-card played on me on this forum. I now try to only enter the Bilge every few weeks and comment only on stuff dealing more with boats....so I guess my "bilge cred" is still relatively low. Enjoyed your thread here. Gene

Larks
10-30-2011, 05:00 PM
It's understandable that you'd feel uncomfortable calling yourself captain if you don't have a captains ticket, far too many wannabe's call themselves captain and if I ever received a crew application from someone who titled themselves as captain it'd go straight in the round file (Australian commercial Master 4 was the highest ticket we needed to operate our 35metre commercial vessels and that is a long way from being a Captain's ticket, no true Captain would apply for a Master 4 job).

However, if someone bestows upon you the nickname "Captain" as a bit of a pi$$take (probably an Australianism, it means taking the pi$$ out of you or having a joke at your expense), it is quite likely that such a nickname will stick.

Even moreso if there's a hint that you don't particularly like such a nickname!!!!

So Cap'n - suck it up and live with it mate, we at least now know that you're not some wally who thinks he is one when he isn't.

J2ds though, two-dogs? I take it you were kissed with the ugly stick?

CapnJ2ds
11-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks guys, questions well answered.
Guess I'd better stick with the handle ....but....."Admiral"? Hadn't thought of that Seanz. Maybe I'll give myself a promotion - "respec' mah authoritah!":p
Kissed with the ugly stick? Beaten over the head with it, more like.:D But that's not the reason for the "two dogs" thing, nor is it anything to do with the one about the witch-doctor and the youngfeller:D. It's a bit more mundane; when I first moved aboard here I had two dogs. There was another bloke called John here as well, so I became "John twodogs". It stuck.
As for the "urinary extractions", I get enough now that a bit more won't be noticeable.:rolleyes:. Naturally, I'd never dream of doing it meself:p

The Bigfella
11-02-2011, 07:50 AM
I do believe I'm the only Big Member here....