PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning epoxy from clamps

Reynard38
10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Is there a method other than a heat gun for removing epoxy from clamps?

wizbang 13
10-25-2011, 08:12 PM
I keep mine oily and bang the glue with a hammer.
I think the fumes from hot epoxy are more dangerous than the dust, so I stay away from heat.
Oily, dirty clamps will not do for fine joiner work though.

Reynard38
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
What type of clamps?

iron, wood or plastic?

Metal bar clamps.

Paul Pless
10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
If they are metal clamps just hit them with a torch. Do this in open air or wear a positive pressure mask.

I had an epoxy floor installed in my facility a few years ago, think 20 30 gallon drums of epoxy and 4 thirty gallon drums of hardener. I got to see how the pros worked efficiently, it did take them five weeks to complete the process. They used a torch to clean all their metal tools daily.

Gary Davis
10-29-2011, 08:30 AM
I've had luck with a sacrificial chisel. Almost pops off.

Gary

Cecil Borel
10-29-2011, 09:08 AM
a wire brush wheel mounted on a rotary device works very well

Ron Williamson
10-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Big ugly rasp.
R

Reynard38
10-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Rubbin' some Johnson's paste wax on metal and wood clamps will help cured epoxy to pop off.. on plastic clamps all ya have to do is flake it off...

If ya weren't so sloppy with epoxy to begin with, you'll get hardly any on the clamps... Yeah right it not easy.. Just wipe the drips as soon they appeared with a rag

I know. With the amount of squeeze out I usually get y'all should be buying stock in West Systems.
I've got some mold release wax that I'll wipe them down with once I get them clean.

Boatsmith
10-29-2011, 07:23 PM
I use a hammer and a torch

CundysHarbor
10-30-2011, 09:47 AM
In an attempt to keep epoxy from sticking to the clamps I borrowed, I coated the entire clamp with a light layer of grease. The epoxy didn't stick to the clamps but the clamps wouldn't tighten. These were Jorgensen Pony clamps; with the threads lubricated with even a little grease, they would slowly release themselves. Getting all the grease off the threads took longer than the rest of the project! Don't grease the clamps!
Dave

Canoeyawl
10-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Some of the dry lubricant spray (silicone) has been touted to work pretty well, but I have not tried it (I am too afraid of consequences to the paint work).
Johnsons paste wax works for me, but similar paint and finish issues can occur with that also.