PDA

View Full Version : Cost Per Mile to Transport Boat via Hydraulic Trailer??

Ethan
10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Anyone have "recent" experience (past 6-12 months) transporting a boat via hydraulic trailer?

I'm getting quotes back around $6-7 per mile.

Just wondering if that's consistent with what others are seeing.

FWIW, East Coast US, 26' full keel sailboat.

Thanks

Breakaway
10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I assume you are talking about a "long haul" and if so thats about right. Local hauling ( under 10 miles or so, say for seasonal launching, is about 8-10 bucks per foot. Leastways that's what guys I know charge.

kevin

Gold Rock
10-19-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure how relavent comparisons are with this kind of specialty market, but I had my 30 ft. 7 ton full keeler moved from Port Townsend Wa. to Olympia Wa. (about 90 miles) less than a year ago for just under $1000.

Dale Genther
10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
I just paid $1200 to have a 35 ft boat moved from Deltaville, VA to Rock Hall, MD, about 240 miles by road.

Rich VanValkenburg
10-19-2011, 08:20 AM
This is an interesting thread. I've played around with the idea of building a pole barn and storing my boat until the financial numbers look better. That way I wouldn't lose my boat from inability to pay the $3k per year marina storage. Do the transporters also have a way of offloading the boat into the pole barn or would that be my other problem?

Paul Pless
10-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Do the transporters also have a way of offloading the boat into the pole barn or would that be my other problem?Depends on the trailer, generally yes.

Todd D
10-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Four years ago I paid $450 to have my 32' powerboat hauled about 60 miles. The charge was more for time than miles though. The haul was done on a hydraulic trailer and included loading the boat in the yard and unloading it in my yard. A month ago I paid $200 to have the same boat picked up in my yard, hauled 5 miles and launched at the local ramp.

The brownell type trailers are set up to pick a boat up off of blocking and stands and put it down the same way. On the other hand, most longer haul trailers don't have that capability and rely on facilities at either end of the haul to get the boat on and off the trailer.

BBSebens
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
This is an interesting thread. I've played around with the idea of building a pole barn and storing my boat until the financial numbers look better. That way I wouldn't lose my boat from inability to pay the $3k per year marina storage. Do the transporters also have a way of offloading the boat into the pole barn or would that be my other problem?

Hydraulic wishbone trailers in particular are nice because they have hydraulic arms that lift the boat. This way, you can pick it up just enough to set some keel blocks under it, pull out the cross beams and set it right down on the blocks. Then, slowly shimmy the trailer out while putting in the jack stands. It works well, and they typically know what they are doing.

Garret
10-19-2011, 12:55 PM

To kinda recap what's been said: Most short haul boat trucking is done with a Brownell (or Brownell style) hydraulic trailer. Long haul is most often done with trailers that have no hydraulics.

The hydraulic trailers can grab & deposit a boat that's on jackstands. Non-hydraulic need equipment to lift the boat (crane/travelift).

Haulers will have (usually) double or triple axle trailers. The rates for the triples (what my bigger boat requires) are way higher - due to higher costs & less competition.

Gold Rock
10-19-2011, 05:50 PM
To clarify my contribution, my hauler was charging me $100/hour. Though the distance the boat was moved was only 90 miles, the mover actually had a drive of nearly that same distance to arrive at the pickup point. So for services rendered, my cost was comparable with others listed in this thread.

StevenBauer
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
When Talisman came down from Rockland I think we paid $450. About 75 miles. When we go in or out each spring and fall it costs $250. We are about 3 miles from the ramp and Talisman is 24'.

Steven

Thad Van Gilder
10-20-2011, 07:50 AM
3 years or so ago I paid $400, IIRC, to move a 36 foot Columbia about 3 miles from a boat yard to my old shop.

Alex Low
10-20-2011, 10:54 AM
I have received lots of good information and quotes from this site:

http://www.uship.com/

IIRC one company quoted across Canada (Coast to Coast) for a little over 4K fully bonded, on a 6,000 lbs boat.

Try them out.

Alex

Breakaway
10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Here's something to look at when selecting a hauler as well. Some long-haulers have the exhaust routed/extended to the back of the trailer. If the boatis shrinkwrapped and doing lots of highway miles, exhaust from a tailpipe gets under the 'wrap and coats the boat in grime/residue.

Of course this applies to a dually pickup not a big rig with cab exhaust

Kevin

Ethan
10-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm only looking at a 500 mile trip, but I have never hired an hydraulic trailer, so needed a basis of comparison to make an informed decision.

Sounds like a few of the quotes I've gotten are kinda reasonable.

tintasbarnes
10-21-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi there,
here some example tariffs: http://boat-transport-act.blogspot.com/
and here, you can request a good rate: http://www.allcoaststransport.com/boat-transport.aspx

StevenBauer
10-21-2011, 07:08 AM
So what did you buy? Do we have to guess or are you sharing?

Steven

Hwyl
10-21-2011, 07:48 AM
A delivery skipper would charge about $2.50 a mile to deliver it by water

Ethan
10-21-2011, 04:24 PM
A delivery skipper would charge about $2.50 a mile to deliver it by water

At the moment, you'd have to strap it to your back, Skipper. :d

Ethan
10-21-2011, 04:26 PM
So what did you buy? Do we have to guess or are you sharing?

Steven

Let me get some legs under the project before I get talkative.

Garret
10-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Let me get some legs under the project before I get talkative.

Dontcha mean jackstands? ;)

Ethan
10-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Dontcha mean jackstands? ;)

LOL...yeah, I guess I do!

StevenBauer
10-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Alright. I'm guessing. A folkboat is only 25'. Same for a Wainno Senior. I'm guessing a Luders L-16.

Ethan
10-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Alright. I'm guessing. A folkboat is only 25'. Same for a Wainno Senior. I'm guessing a Luders L-16.

Nope, not a L-16.
I'm not trying to be cagey. I'd just like there to be some actual progress before talking it up. So far, I've got the major players lined up, but I'm waiting for the logistics to come together. What I will tell you is there are important WBF connections to the project, and I'll gratefully acknowledge those folks when I do go public.

StevenBauer
10-21-2011, 09:44 PM
I hope we won't have to wait too long. (It's not that Alerion listed as sold on Yachtworld is it?)
Wait. It couldn't be that Aage Neilsen boat from Save A Classic a few years ago, could it? Sabrina?

Steven

Willin'
10-24-2011, 02:46 PM
We pay $500 to launch and again to haul it at the end of the season. Total distance hauled- 1 mile. The expense is because they come with a boom truck to step and unstep the masts and they come from an hour away. Kinda pricey but not many companies will step masts at remote locations. Plus, they're damn good.

Garret
10-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Sherry & Paul from CRC? Just did a haul with them last week (in Phippsburg). Sherry is really good with the boom truck.

Willin'
10-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Sherry & Paul from CRC? Just did a haul with them last week (in Phippsburg). Sherry is really good with the boom truck.

Ya mon! Their the only ones I'd trust.

Are you talking about the Spears' bright hulled S&S sloop Golden Fleece? They're neighbors.

Garret
10-24-2011, 03:41 PM
I am indeed. Spent last Sun. afternoon there. Mighty nice area. Beth is "seeing" my friend Lex from Georgetown, so I helped them out - as in handy to have someone who's done it there to lend a hand.

I use Bucky from Dayton Marine, as he has a triple axle trailer - which Neoga needs. He's even more careful than Paul - but also more expensive.

Willin'
10-24-2011, 05:06 PM
That was my black yawl moored just off the floats at the Fiddler's Reach launch ramp! Yeah it's a nice area. Long assed motor to blue water though.

I thought you kept your boat at Robinhood, Garret. You don't take her home to VT do you?

Garret
10-24-2011, 05:53 PM
Damn! I was admiring her!

Yes, Neoga lives in Georgetown. Back in the shop to do a couple more frames, some new planks & the rudder.

Long ways to the ocean indeed. That's a nice thing about the Sheepscott.

JimConlin
10-24-2011, 10:15 PM
We kept Magic there many years ago. A very special place.

tintasbarnes
11-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Prior transport better check this: http://www.squidoo.com/boat-transport-dos-and-donts

S.V. Airlie
11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
The cost may be determined by wether there is a return trip involved. No one likes to transport an empty trailer.

Touchstone
06-23-2016, 01:51 PM
That does seem a bit high, but it depends on a lot of factors. I've used A-1 Auto Transport, Inc (https://www.a1autotransport.com/services/boat-transport.php) a couple times & would recommend them, if only to get an idea of what sort of price to expect. They were really good about giving you a total cost, even if you don't book with them right away. Def. worth a phone call to get a baseline of what to expect. From my experience, they were pretty fair to boot.

Edit: n/m this is from 2011

Reynard38
06-23-2016, 05:30 PM
I hope we won't have to wait too long. (It's not that Alerion listed as sold on Yachtworld is it?)
Wait. It couldn't be that Aage Neilsen boat from Save A Classic a few years ago, could it? Sabrina?

Steven

I'm hoping it's a Coquina! I'd deliver to Alabama for a sweet tea and some good BBQ. :)
Of course my KOD is 26' long, and a full keel.......

chuckt
06-23-2016, 09:05 PM
$9 per mile but that was for a 40' 9ton Yawl and a short haul (200 miles). Four years ago I think I paid about $4.5 per mile for a 900 mile haul on the same boat.

richbeck
06-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Last August had a 29' heavy displacement gaff cutter hauled from Bigfork Montana, to Port Townsend Wa. Total trip length by way of Olympic penninsula (no ferry crossing) 660 miles. Had bids over 5,000 dollars. Transport company I ended up using did it for 1700.00

Richard