PDA

View Full Version : 2YO child run over - twice, critically injured, 18 people walk past and ignore her

Larks
10-17-2011, 11:13 PM
I find this just impossible to believe, I look at some things that the media show in a dim light and question whether I'd be any better but I find this just disgusting and I know that I don't have to question how I'd react if I saw anyone knocked over by a car, let alone a child.

http://www.news.com.au/world/shocking-scenes-as-passers-by-ignore-dying-toddler-2-in-chinas-guangdong-province/story-e6frfkyi-1226169264770

I can't seem to post the direct link to the video

(http://www.news.com.au/world/shocking-scenes-as-passers-by-ignore-dying-toddler-2-in-chinas-guangdong-province/story-e6frfkyi-1226169264770)

WX
10-18-2011, 01:17 AM
I saw that Greg, it's bloody horrific. A mother and her young daughter even walked past and did nothing.

goodbasil
10-18-2011, 01:51 AM
It is believed that she will not survive.

wizbang 13
10-18-2011, 03:37 AM
I feel sick

skuthorp
10-18-2011, 03:42 AM
I read the comments below. Life is cheap in China evidently and so by some lights are the ethics of many. But people walk past injured and distressed people here not wanting to get involved if they think there's been a fight or drugs, alchohol etc are involved. And intervening in domestics has gotten a few killed here.

wizbang 13
10-18-2011, 09:14 AM
When I see a dead dog or cat in the road, I get out of the car and move the body to the side ,and lay it good side up,so that when the owners find it , they will not be so distressed.(not wild animals)
I risked my own,and my wifes neck, several years ago by picking up some Haitians who were shipwrecked.
I took it upon myself once to tell a cruising chap to leave St Barts cuz I knew he was thumping his local GF.
But yes, I will walk past a street bum, not even make eye contact.

peter radclyffe
10-18-2011, 09:28 AM
they are animals

stevebla
10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
I wonder if the pictures are real. Maybe mandatory abortion and the one child policy have contributed to the dehumanization of people in China?

Ian McColgin
10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
If this is for real, how could the videographer just hang there and not do something?

Phillip Allen
10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
If this is for real, how could the videographer just hang there and not do something?

security cam?

goodbasil
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
The film is from a security-cam.

S.V. Airlie
10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Going to throw a damper here. Firstly it was horrendous. Second point, people don't want to be sued for offering aid. This is why some states have the "good samaritan laws" to protect those who try to assist. Not an excuse by a long shot, but in a way. It's a rocky slope. Personally, I would help and be damn'd.

Paul Pless
10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Life does seem to be a little cheaper there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74qes7mkKT8

The cement truck really gave me pause. . .

B_B
10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
...people don't want to be sued for offering aid. ...
Apparently there was a recent case in China where a do-gooder was successfully sued. Some Chinese are calling for 'good samaritan' laws.

That being said, it doesn't appear any of those passing here were in any way interested in helping - they all just carry on.

Where's the mom or dad, though?

S.V. Airlie
10-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I know that VT. has probably one of the best good samaritan laws on the books. Can't remember about CT. I also know I paid private insurance in NY to cover such accidents and really never paid much attention there.(EMT squad 15 yrs.) I do remember stopping at an accident on the Thames River Bridge one night, in black tie, no less including a kilt. I think I sobered the guy up really quickly because of my attire.:) I do not avoid giving aid but I can also understand why people don't. Could have been a lot worse.

B_B
10-18-2011, 12:53 PM
IIRC, Quebec has a "must assist" law.

S.V. Airlie
10-18-2011, 12:58 PM
IIRC, Quebec has a "must assist" law.Close to VT's position. Not sure of the wording but the intent is the same.

McMike
10-18-2011, 06:15 PM
It's funny that there needs to be a law for humanity. It's not just the Chinese either, remember that video of the man who got hit and was ignored by many passersby? That was in the US.

When the conservatives say to the poor that their health is not our problem, when the conservatives say to children, who have no control over who they were born to, we won't pay for your education, we won't pay for your sustenance, we won't pay for your shelter, when the conservatives say this, they are doing the same thing. All you far righty, hateful, selfish cretins who turn your back on providing basic human needs do the same thing as was done to that little girl . . . every day. You all know who you are and you're nasty, nasty people.

Paul Pless
10-18-2011, 06:17 PM
It's funny that there needs to be a law for humanity. It's not just the Chinese either, remember that video of the man who got hit and was ignored by many passersby? That was in the US.

When the conservatives say to the poor that their health is not our problem, when the conservatives say to children, who have no control over who they were born to, we won't pay for your education, we won't pay for your sustenance, we won't pay for your shelter, when the conservatives say this, they are doing the same thing. All you far righty, hateful, selfish cretins who turn your back on providing basic human needs do the same thing as was done to that little girl . . . every day. You all know who you are and you're nasty, nasty people.Holy ******* **** McMike goes off all wardd on us righties. . .

McMike
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Holy ******* **** McMike goes off all wardd on us righties. . .

Notice I said "far righties", I didn't cast the net that broadly Paul ;). That said, do you find the parallel inaccurate? If so, have you ever spent any time amongst the impoverished?

Paul Pless
10-18-2011, 06:26 PM
If so, have you ever spent any time amongst the impoverished?I was a poor college student for a while, does that count?

goodbasil
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
The two drivers have been arrested. The first one said he/she didn't stop because he/she didn't want to go to jail.
The child is considered brain dead.

McMike
10-18-2011, 06:34 PM
I was a poor college student for a while, does that count? Depends, do you agree with my statement as long, and I'm clarifying here, as it's cast well over the heads of reasonable and well meaning Conservatives?

Garret
10-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Close to VT's position. Not sure of the wording but the intent is the same.

I believe the main purpose of VT's law is to protect all who do give aid. Sadly, many states do not extend this protection. Never have understood that. From what I've read, CT's is not as broad, in that it may not protect Joe Citizen - but does protect police, fire, teachers, etc. etc.

Duty to Aid the Endangered Act (Good Samaritan Law)
Title 12, Chapter 23 ;SS 519:
Emergency Medical Care
(a) A person who knows another is exposed to grave physical harm shall, to the extent that the same can be rendered without danger or peril to himself or without interference with important duties owed to others, give reasonable assistance to the exposed person unless that assistance or care is being provided by others.
(b) A person who provides reasonable assistance in compliance with subsection (a) of this section shall not be liable in civil damages unless his actions constitute gross negligence or unless he will receive or expects to receive remuneration.Nothing contained in this subsection shall alter existing law with respect to tort liability of a practitioner of the healing arts for acts committed in the ordinary course of his practice.

Hot Air
10-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Well, well, isn't McMike full of himself. Almost hysterical with self-righteousness.

McMike
10-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Well, well, isn't McMike full of himself. Almost hysterical with self-righteousness.

Show me where I'm wrong. How is it different to condemn a child to a life of ignorance, ill health, and starvation? I'd actually rather die in the street and suffer for for a moment rather than suffer for a lifetime. What about you?

McMike
10-18-2011, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry for hijacking the thread for my own BS. FWIW I am very upset by what happened to the little girl.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-19-2011, 04:17 AM
I am not at all surprised. Anyone who is ill or injured or robbed on the street in China is on their own. The idea of offering help does not seem to occur to people. It' been a dog eat dog society for a long time and Mao made it a hundred times worse. The consequences of helping an Enemy of the People could be very serious. You help your family and your friends. I've even seen people walk past and laugh.

purri
10-19-2011, 05:12 AM
IIRC, Quebec has a "must assist" law.

Same here for vehicle "incidents" thast reads "render immediate assistance and notify ambulance/police" asap.

Meli
10-19-2011, 05:53 AM
Show me where I'm wrong. How is it different to condemn a child to a life of ignorance, ill health, and starvation? I'd actually rather die in the street and suffer for for a moment rather than suffer for a lifetime. What about you?

Oh really Mc, pull your head in.
There's just as many left wingers who would walk away rather than be involved.
You get stories of rape or bashings occurring in crowded rail stations or streets all over the world, east and west, and passers by doing just that.
They cant all be "conservatives"
I work in one of the most left wing municipalities in Melbourne, It also happens to be hugely diverse in socio economic terms.
The social disengagement and sense of self entitlement of some of these left wingers has to be seen to be believed.

Marx was a right arsehole to his maids.
On the other hand I live in a uber conservative electorate, one of the wealthiest in Melb.
Their are plenty of genuine but conservative good Samaritans here.

Your politics does not determine your humanity

Hot Air
10-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Wonderfully reasonable.

Meli
10-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Yer, well I'll top that by saying that some of the tennis set tootsies round here need their gym toned arses smacked too. :D

Meli
10-19-2011, 06:28 AM
When I see a dead dog or cat in the road, I get out of the car and move the body to the side ,and lay it good side up,so that when the owners find it , they will not be so distressed.(not wild animals)
I risked my own,and my wifes neck, several years ago by picking up some Haitians who were shipwrecked.
I took it upon myself once to tell a cruising chap to leave St Barts cuz I knew he was thumping his local GF.
But yes, I will walk past a street bum, not even make eye contact.

And as for you, too bad if it's just some poor bloke with epilepsy i suppose?

Paul Pless
10-19-2011, 06:30 AM
And as for you, too bad if it's just some poor bloke with epilepsy i suppose?is it inappropriate for me to laugh?

Meli
10-19-2011, 06:32 AM
Nah, laugh away. :D

Tylerdurden
10-19-2011, 06:34 AM
I have to say having visited and lived in a few pacific rim nations I am not surprised. There is no real value to human life by western standards.

Meli
10-19-2011, 06:43 AM
I have to say having visited and lived in a few pacific rim nations I am not surprised. There is no real value to human life by western standards.

Um, go tell that to the technicians at Fukushima:rolleyes:
Or the rescue workers at Chengdu

Tylerdurden
10-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Um, go tell that to the technicians at Fukushima:rolleyes:
Or the rescue workers at Chengdu

Tell it to those told living nearby are in no danger. The children sent back to school or those in Africa receiving radioactive cars exported out of the radiation zone.

Paul Pless
10-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Nah, laugh away. :Dat your post of course

Meli
10-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Just how does your last post relate to the incredible sacrifice those pacific rim techies made to protect human life?
Why dont you just stop making stupid generalisations?

Meli
10-19-2011, 06:54 AM
at your post of course

Naturally:rolleyes:

Tylerdurden
10-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Just how does your last post relate to the incredible sacrifice those pacific rim techies made to protect human life?
Why dont you just stop making stupid generalisations?

I will when you do. :)

wizbang 13
10-19-2011, 10:10 AM
"As for me"?
I have saved 5 lives Meli.
One from electrocution and 4 from drowning(including the 2 Haitians).
All were at some risk. My Karma is good there.

brad9798
10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Pretty sick ...

The real shame is that if it was a dog or cat or goat, Many would have stopped to assist! :(

wizbang 13
10-19-2011, 12:18 PM
.. to put it in the cooking pot.

S.V. Airlie
10-19-2011, 01:08 PM
Pretty sick ...

The real shame is that if it was a dog or cat or goat, Many would have stopped to assist! :( True in so many ways Brad...

McMike
10-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Oh really Mc, pull your head in.
There's just as many left wingers who would walk away rather than be involved.
You get stories of rape or bashings occurring in crowded rail stations or streets all over the world, east and west, and passers by doing just that.
They cant all be "conservatives"
I work in one of the most left wing municipalities in Melbourne, It also happens to be hugely diverse in socio economic terms.
The social disengagement and sense of self entitlement of some of these left wingers has to be seen to be believed.

Marx was a right arsehole to his maids.
On the other hand I live in a uber conservative electorate, one of the wealthiest in Melb.
Their are plenty of genuine but conservative good Samaritans here.

Your politics does not determine your humanity

You whizzed right past my point but that's okay it wasn't all that well made and I was grumpy and tired anyway . . . I'm better now.

Meli
10-19-2011, 04:30 PM
You whizzed right past my point but that's okay it wasn't all that well made and I was grumpy and tired anyway . . . I'm better now.

.:D

brad9798
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Save the puppy or kitten ... walk by the kid ...

THE WAY OF THE WORLD! SADLY!

stevebaby
10-19-2011, 04:59 PM
.. to put it in the cooking pot.When the first Chinese expedition to the Antarctic went ashore, the first thing they did was kill a few penguins and eat them.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-19-2011, 07:40 PM
What does surprise me is the coverage and the media reaction to this in China.

The reported comment of some of the passers by - that they were "too poor and scared to get into trouble" rings absolutely true, as does one of the drivers telephoning the little girl's parents and saying that because she was not dead she was going to cost him more money.

I am surprised at the outrage; in fact I am quite encouraged by it.

brad9798
10-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Ahh ... the value of a young girl in China ... :(

goodbasil
10-21-2011, 11:35 AM
She has died.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/chinese-girl-dies-hit-run-sparked-outrage-035947336.html

brad9798
10-21-2011, 07:53 PM
Of course she has ... :( :(

ishmael
10-21-2011, 09:37 PM
When I was maybe 17 I lived on a typical American suburban street. Pretty quiet, but one summer's evening a kid was run down. Our dinner guest that evening was an RN and I'll never forget her running into the street and tending to that kid. I don't know if the kid lived or died, but it was bad, the kid was mangled. A hit and run.

Still breathing, so no CPR. She knelt there with him, stroking his hair, offering encouragement until the ambulance came. The kid was terrified, and that woman...what can you say?

skuthorp
10-24-2011, 06:44 AM
Somebody has been charged over the girls death, and laws are being proposed to make assistance compulsory. But it's the legal scams that are the problem and the lack of involvement in larger society under their political system. And money is king of course.