PDA

View Full Version : Source for NWC and WRC in Southern Vermont?

evanmars
10-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Having a heck of a time finding 1 X lumber to rip for a stripper. Anybody have any decent sources of NWC and/or WRC somewhat close (within a 3hr drive) to South-Western Vermont (Bennington)?

SMARTINSEN
10-17-2011, 04:53 PM
You are just a hop skip and a jump from Albany. Any of the lumber yards that deal with the upscale homebuilders should have WRC. Native white cedar, in my experience at least, though it is a pleasure to work with, is more difficult to find without knots. I built SWMBO's kayak out of western.

Canoez
10-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Evan - Northern White Cedar is available from Kerber Farms (http://kerberlumber.com/northern_white_cedar) in Guilford, VT. (No personal interest, here) I'm sure there are some sawmills near Wilmington as well. WRC should be available from your local lumberyards.

evanmars
10-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks, Canoez. I had forgotten about Kerber Farms. I did find them a couple of months ago, but then life got in the way and put a halt to the canoe building for a while. Got the stations built, just waiting to get the cedar. The problem I have now is that I work during their hours of operation. Maybe I can call in sick...

CundysHarbor
10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I got a load of clear Western Red at Americas wood in Maine. They milled it to 1/8 veneer for me. Webpage is www.americaswood.com/

JimConlin
10-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I've bought some very nice AWC from Wood Steel & Glas in Madison, CT. http://whitecedar.com/ That's about 3 hours drive from Bennington.

David Conard
10-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Try Koenig Cedar in South Burlington 862-5642. Not as close to you as Albany, but it's a local Vermont business.

woodpile
10-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Generally the closer you can get to the source of NWC the better the pricing will be, I live in Ct. and there ain't nothing at a good price in this state. What you'll pay in central to northern Me. would probably cover the price of the drive and lunch.

Don

Canoez
10-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Try Koenig Cedar in South Burlington 862-5642. Not as close to you as Albany, but it's a local Vermont business.

A student of mine brought in some NWC he bought from these folks. It was pretty clean stock. Not overly long or wide, but nice.

evanmars
10-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Thanks, all. I made an appointment to head over to Kerber Farms this Saturday to pick up a load!

(Hope RT-9 is repaired by now)

Mrleft8
10-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Thanks, all. I made an appointment to head over to Kerber Farms this Saturday to pick up a load!

(Hope RT-9 is repaired by now)
"Repaired" is a subjective term.... It's still pretty torn up as of 2 weeks ago.

evanmars
10-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Made the drive over to Brattleboro from Bennington on the 22nd. I forgot that the road had been damaged, didn't even notice where it had been repaired, smooth ride all the way.

Anyway, I highly recommend Kerber Lumber. Turns out they sell NWC to Koenig up in Burlington. He made a special appointment for me to come in on Saturday morning, they are usually closed then. Very friendly and was very happy to hear that word of mouth (word of forum?) directed me to him.