PDA

View Full Version : Bert and I and Maine humor sound tracks

S.V. Airlie
10-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Just to lighten things up..options available take your pick.

http://recordoobscura.blogspot.com/2010/01/bert-and-i-and-other-stories-from-down.html

BrianY
10-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks! I love Bert and I but haven't heard them for over 30 years. Every once in a while when someone asks me where they are (meaning what town they're in) I'll respond "You're up in a balloon ya damn fool" but of course these days no one has any idea where that comes from.

S.V. Airlie
10-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Bob Bryan and Marshall Dodge. Hard to believe these records are still made over fifty years after Bert and I first came out. On CDs now obviously.

TANSTAF1
10-17-2011, 12:56 PM
"You can't get they yah from heah."

Don't overlook Francis Colburn's Graduation Address.

and of course The Selected Speeches of Warren Harding.

S.V. Airlie
10-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Ah heck..This was just a thread to lighten the mood. Nothing more and nothing less..Always politics rises its head. I have no idea what Harding said. It may be worth reading or hearing it, but this is not about that. Just little old bit of humor from*
Bert and I".

TANSTAF1
10-17-2011, 01:38 PM
"I rise to pay my small tribute to Dr. Harding. Setting aside a college professor or two and a half dozen dipsomaniacal newspaper reporters, he takes the first place in my Valhalla of literati. That is to say, he writes the worst English that I have ever encountered. It reminds me of a string of wet sponges; it reminds me of tattered washing on the line; it reminds me of stale bean soup, of college yells, of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it. It drags itself out of the dark abysm of pish, and crawls insanely up to the topmost pinnacle of posh. It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."

-- H.L. Mencken, “Gamalielese,” The Baltimore Sun on March 7, 1921.

S.V. Airlie
10-17-2011, 01:39 PM
It's a bloody record.Jeez...

Canoez
10-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Jamie - have you ever heard Jack Denison's album "Ayuh!"? Jack was an administrator at the University of Massachusetts' Stockbridge School of Agriculture. Jack was a Mainer, and in his own special way, used to get up and tell tales at dinner meetings and what not. If you like Bert and I, you'd like Jack's work. Sadly passed away a number of years ago...

S.V. Airlie
10-17-2011, 01:48 PM
No, I haven't. Sounds like my kind a guy though. Did he put out any records? Marshall Dodge passed away too. On a bike in Hawaii and hit by a hit and run. Sad... Bob Bryan started the Grenfeld Mission (sp) in Northern Canada with some success. Lost track of him at UMO. His brother was in the UMO admissions office. Ran into Dodge's father soon after the hit and run incident. So sad..

Canoez
10-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Yes he did - "Ayuh!" Don't know if it is on CD - was only on vinyl in his lifetime. Lemme look - appears to be 12" LP only... If you can find it.

S.V. Airlie
10-17-2011, 02:03 PM
In this day and age, it would most likely have to be a CD.

Gerarddm
10-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I loved 'Buhrt aynd aye'. So funny. Ayup.

George Ray
10-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Thanks, that were long lost and now found thanks to you.