PDA

View Full Version : E-Mail change

Dale Genther
10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
We currently have an email address with Verizon IE XXXXXX@Verizon.net.We have had this address for a bunch of years. Lately we have gotten very dissatisfied with the DSL service that Verizon delivers to us. We have existing emails accounts with Gmail that we would like to convert to and get a different internet provider. The problem is so many people have our Verizon email address that contacting them is all but impossible. Also many of the business, forums, ebay, etc use our Verison address as part of our idenity. We can't even begin to remember all of these so we can contact them with the change.

Is there a way to make this whole process easier so as not not all of our communiction? Or is there a way to keep the Verizon address and change to a different carrier just like you can now do with your cell phone number when you change carriers?

Bruce Hooke
10-11-2011, 08:19 PM
It looks like you can sign up for a Verizon email account without having Verizon as your ISP. http://surround.verizon.com/Shop/Utilities/VerizonYourDomain.aspx

I found out about this option from this web page (see the second response to the original question):

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-net-Email/Keep-verizon-net-email/td-p/21215

It is not completely clear to me that you can switch an existing Verizon email address to the system described on the first web page I linked to. This, of course, is what you need so some more research is called for. Given my past experience with Verizon I would move forward carefully to try to make sure things don't get bollixed up.

P.S., I just noticed that one part of that page says the service is only available to Verizon DSL high speed Internet customers. It is not completely clear to me if this applies to the whole service or just one aspect of the service...

Dale Genther
10-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks Bruce, I'll look into it.

ChrisBen
10-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Dale, I used to have Netzero as an ISP, with it came the free e-mail account. Haven't used Netzero in 4 years but the e-mail account is still active. Same with a friend who had AOL and their free e-mail. He uses a different ISP now but his AOL e-mail account is still active.

Bruce Hooke
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Dale, I used to have Netzero as an ISP, with it came the free e-mail account. Haven't used Netzero in 4 years but the e-mail account is still active. Same with a friend who had AOL and their free e-mail. He uses a different ISP now but his AOL e-mail account is still active.

Some ISPs make this easy...AT&T allowed me to keep my AT&T email address by just signing up for a free account that is actually part of the Yahoo system but that still uses the @att.net email address. I know from experience that once a Verizon high-speed Internet service account is shut down the email address no longer works. I did not try to find a way around this because I never gave out the Verizon email address, I just noted that after I moved by while the Verizon account was still active at my old address my Verizon email address continued to work, but the instant the Verizon high speed Internet account was shut off the email stopped working.

John Smith
10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
When I got my new computer, windows 7 will not accept Outlook Express., but my optimum email was still available.

I now signed up with hotmail.com, and it pulls anything sent to my old address and it comes up on my hotmail inbox.

ChrisBen
10-12-2011, 11:39 AM
AT&T probably has the right idea to offer the option. I had no idea that my old e-mail was still active till a few months ago. Imagine my surprise when a friend called and asked why I hadn't replied to his e-mail. There were over 2000 in the inbox. Wonder if any of my previous accounts are still active.:p