X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • htom
    Member #919
    • Dec 1999

Osorio v Royobi, SawStop wins.

Sputter sputter scream throw things ... go read.

appeals-court-upholds-osorio-tablesaw-verdict-feds-consider-landmark-safety-standard

As bad as the lawsuit verdict was, the FTC's decision is worse.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?
  • Mad Scientist
    • Feb 2007

Re: Osorio v Royobi, SawStop wins.

Thanks for posting this link! Now I understand the headline that I forgot to investigate a few days ago. Disappointing verdict, but not surprising.

I read most of the comments. My favourite was from the fellow named 'casahansen' who used his table saw for crosscuts (only) and a bandsaw for ripping. Makes sense to me.

FWIW, I've had so many close calls with hand tools (and all sorts of other non-powered objects!) that I always pay attention to safety rules , PPE, and anything else that leaves me with the same # of fingers and digits that I started with.

Tom

Comment

• Lew Barrett
      Landlocked
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by htom
      As bad as the lawsuit verdict was, the FTC's decision is worse.
      No kidding, and for so many reasons.
      One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• goodbasil
        Basil
        • Feb 2005

Was the culprit saw manufactured before Sawstop was?

One thing I don't like about things like Sawstop is they can cause people to become sloppy and overconfident.
        basil

Comment

• Bill Mercer
          • Aug 2004

So, nobody considered that the person responsible was the guy who sent an untrained worker to use a tablesaw? Or was it just the Ryobi had more cash? Also, some responsibility has to go to the guy who kept shoving a jammed piece of wood at the tablesaw blade--training or no, if you don't know that a 10" blade moving at 3,000+RPM is dangerous, you don't belong in the gene pool. I mean, I'm the guy who almost maimed himself using Dolfinite (http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ion&highlight=) and I've managed eight years of off-and-on tablesaw use without injury.

Comment

• orbb
            • Nov 2009

Anything that the FTC does now will be superfluous for any legitimate manufacturer. All manufacturers are now on notice that the state of the art of technology supports the SawStop technology, and will have to incorporate it into their designs or be subject to liability for not including it.

Comment

• Lew Barrett
              Landlocked
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by goodbasil
              Was the culprit saw manufactured before Sawstop was?
              To me this is the crux of the issue. Why punish the manufacturer before the legislation is even initiated?

Originally posted by goodbasil
              One thing I don't like about things like Sawstop is they can cause people to become sloppy and overconfident.
              I prefer the Sawstop products in almost every way but they were not available when I got my saw. Anything that truly proofs the tablesaw against injury is a good thing in my book, and this device works. The incentive not to stuff your hand in the saw is that it will cost you a cartridge and a blade every time you do. Economic incentives are more than satisfactory for most people not to keep doing foolish things.
              If I were buying a cabinet or good jobsite saw today, I'd buy the Sawstop without hesitation.
              One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Comment

• Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
                • Aug 2006

unbelievable...

Comment

• LongIslandBoy
                  • Jan 2010

I just posted this on FWW's comments, and I'll post it here as well: "I believe it was the great American philosopher/ stand -up comedian Ron White who said "You can't fix stupid!"
                  "Simplicity, Clarisse! First principles..."

Comment

• Gerarddm
                    #RESIST
                    • Feb 2010

We have only Sawstops at boat school, but it hasn't bred complacency, trust me.
                    Gerard>
                    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Comment

Working...