PDA

View Full Version : Scirocco

redsail
12-21-2000, 02:22 PM
Some 15+ years ago a lovely sloop, must have been at least 50 ' long, was seen visiting in Vancouver. Her name was Scirocco and she was rummered to have once belonged to Errol Flynn. Where is she now? Who designed her? There must be some stories about her.

Jeff Lane
12-26-2000, 04:23 AM
Her name is "Sirocco". One of the stories about her is that I surveyed her for sale in Puerto Rico, in the mid-seventies. She had just returned from a very long
cruise under the ownership of a young American, and was sold to, I believe, a Britisher. She had a 6-cylinder Ford diesel installed very far forward, in a box in the galley; The American called the engine "Red", as it was painted very like a fire engine. He knew his vessel very well, and had owned her for a long time when he sold her.
At the same time, I seem to remember myself installing a heavy floor timber in way of the long counter, somewhere near the rudderpost; I recall that was a tight place to work!
Yes, she was a beautiful, graceful boat; I hope she still is. It may be she that Flynn owned until his death in the 1950's, I'm not sure.
That's quite a while ago, but there must be some mention of her in his book, "My Wicked, Wicked Ways", which I recall reading about that time. I'd be pleased to hear more about what's happened to the vessel since.

Jeff Lane

Ian McColgin
12-26-2000, 09:26 AM
Some years back she was in the WB classifieds month after month, apparantly in the midst of a rebuild. Hope she got into right hands.