PDA

View Full Version : Old Dogs...they are family.

skipper68
10-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Almost put her down today..So far, a skin infection we cant cure. She had 2 split NAILS-full of hair and infection, might need to take off toes. Either a tumor or infection on her mammary gland, blind with the least of problems, cataracts...I told the NEW Vet, keep up the bills@$100.00 every 2 weeks and she is gone....UGH We will see if the scripts work. How much do you spend on a 14yr old dog on a fixed income? She is NOT in pain, or if she is, she hides it.:eek::(

ChrisBen
10-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry Skipper.

elf
10-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I've been fortunate to have animals that told me when they were ready to go. It's a look in their eyes, a comportment of their shoulders.

Heart wrenching when it's too early, but still I can't turn them down if they're insisting. The best favor I can do is to help them out with soothing words and stroking.

skipper68
10-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Crossing my fingers these scripts will work-when I was crying to the NEW Vet, she gave me a discount, thankfully....She's(the dog) is so down. The Vet was going to fire ME as her owner! She said I don't walk her enough. I said she stops, and I carry her home. THEN she found the infected nails and toes. Actually, made me feel better-dog was right to not walk. Not sure I like this Vet. My old one DIED :( She said I need to bring the cat in too. I said "If he's in for more than 5 minutes, I will")......He's fine.

Larks
10-04-2011, 12:14 AM
I dread this time coming with our dog, which I fear is not far off. Sorry Skipper, very sad.

goodbasil
10-04-2011, 12:22 AM
On skin infections.

Got a fellow at work who has had skin infections on his hands for years. Can't find a doctor who can help and he's been to many. He was watching a dodumentary on Afganastan and the farmer mentioned that they had a bumper crop of walnuts this year. The reporter mentioned that the oil is good for skin infections. He ran out and bought some, rubbed it on his hands and they've cleared right up. ( He's alot easier to be with now too. ) I had a rash on my leg so I got some, it cleared right up.
So walnut oil may work on your dog too.

skipper68
10-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I remember Paladin telling me how to care for her. We thought it was bird mites.We all need to send her our best wishes, for me. I have wet eyes. The stinky butt old lady. Cute as a bugs BIG ears, she is. She always talks, but the Vet held her down to clean out her split infected nails, and I NEVER heard her cry like that.The worst is, that is the best of her old lady problems. I HAVE put my dogs down before, but not a 14yr old fur kid. She has some pix on my skipper68 photobucket lovies. I'm going to try to sell Ebay jewelry, at the marina, to pay for her care now.Gotta try....Thank you all for your compassion. Truly.

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
10-04-2011, 12:50 AM
We lost our 16 yo shepherd 2 weeks ago - on the very day we were to sit the kids down and talk about quality of life. Her timing always did amaze me....

Keep going as long as it's right Skipper - she'll tell you when it's time, all you have to do is listen, and she will have taught you well for that part....

skipper68
10-04-2011, 02:18 AM
We lost our 16 yo shepherd 2 weeks ago - on the very day we were to sit the kids down and talk about quality of life. Her timing always did amaze me....

Keep going as long as it's right Skipper - she'll tell you when it's time, all you have to do is listen, and she will have taught you well for that part....My whole childhood, from 6yrs old to 13yrs old, a German Shepherd was my babysitter, No matter where we went. He had epilepsy, and took belladonna every day. King was our family too. Thanks. I'm really hoping this little girl can kick butt on this. I know...but small dogs live longer than big dogs. I knew when I had my Danes, 8ys were lucky. Fur Kids...*sigh* We still miss our bird from years ago..

Spin_Drift
10-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Sorry to see your old dog doing so poorly. She's had a long and good life with you.

It's heart braking to lose a family member, and that's what she is.

We lost two dogs and three cats between 2008-2009. I was with them all exept one who died of a viper (snake) bite during the night. It was heart braking and difficult time. One cat was nearly 20 years old and developed diabetes. I took blood samples every day and we gave her shots daily. One day she told me it was time for her to leave. They all did. I realized at some point, that no matter what I did, I couldn't make them better, instead they were getting worse. It was time to let them go.

You will know when it's time.

Strength, love and peace to you.

skipper68
10-04-2011, 02:43 AM
Thank you Spin Drift. I am up watching her now, to see. I have hope in my heart for her. You are right. When we lost Captain Morgan, she was never here. Losing weight-gotta go. She died aboard, in her favorite space. Just sleeping. She is still aboard, with her urn. She came here and stayed here. Gracious words really help. I'm so scared, but we will see. Cripes, they want more for her teeth cleaning than I can afford for me! Fur kids.....UGH

Spin_Drift
10-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Oh dear, I know it's tough. My heart goes out to you. I brought our animals ashes back and have them too.

Our last one to go was our beloved Rhett, a Siamese cat. He developed a growth in his chest. I tried to help him with vet and also alternative medicine. He grew thinner and lost the sparkle in his eyes. We cried and tried to no avail and one day our daughter and I just took him to the vet and had him (the spirit) released from the now useless body. He was in my arms and stroked and loved by both Cass and I.

It was tough but had to be done as he was suffering.

If the quality of life is no longer there and your dog suffers, let her go...rather than have the suffering be prolonged because you can't let go.... So sorry. I know how hard this is.

May the Source be with you.

S.V. Airlie
10-04-2011, 06:26 AM
To me, it is not the cost of a vet it is whether she/he has a quality of life. My old 14 yr old GRet.was deaf as a board.The vet blls were high because he slept under cars and did not hear them start up. Hit regularly. Cut, bruises draining of abscesses etc. He ended up with having a stroke at almost fifteen. Quality of life..no longer had one and had to put him down.

wizbang 13
10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
I keep my budgies grave site clean,after 14 years.

S.V. Airlie
10-04-2011, 07:45 AM
A friend had a border collie that was suffering from heart worm. I mean the dog could not walk 4 paces and yet, this woman wanted the dog to stay alive until her daughters came home.Why they would want to see the dog suffer, I don't know. *One daughter was in S. America for a year. Every time I saw the dog get up, pant its way to say hello ( a very good friendly dog) I nearly cried. As Spin said, it is the quality of life. This dog did not have one.Again, it is not the vet bills....I do not like to see any animal suffer. If the vet can help and give that animal some quality of life if it can be cured, I would take out a loan.

BrianY
10-04-2011, 07:45 AM
I've never had a dog, but this song makes me wish I did. Old Dogs by Bill Staines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--8GzVV9M3w&feature=related

brad9798
10-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear it skipper ... be well, and do what you can!

B

Bill R
10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
Facing it with my 16yo beagle/keeshond stepdog. However, I think he may outlive all of us. He was diagnosed 3 years ago with terminal lung cancer- only had a couple months to live... He is slowing down- almost blind, completely deaf, has trouble walking at times due to problems with his hips and shoulders. We manage his pain with dog pain pills. We have discussed with the vet putting him down, but despite his condition, he is still full of life, at least mentally. His eyes are bright, he still smiles and wags his tail when his people are around and he still tries like hell to chase the cat. He is very dependant on SWMBO and I to care for him- guide him and help him if he falls, but he is still full of life- bright eyes and a smile with his ears always perked up. I think he just gets frustrated sometimes when his body just can't keep up with his mind.

We just can't bear to put him down- at least until he lets us know he is ready to go. HE isn't ready yet.

Paul Pless
10-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Having staff veterinarians, I've never had to make a decision on providing care to a dog based on costs. I count myself incredibly fortunate in that regard. However, I've had to make many decision concerning quality of life versus extending life for my dogs. Those are always tough. On older dogs, I tend to shy away from drastic and heavily invasive procedures or procedures that come with a lot distress or discomfort. Rarely do such drastic measures provide any real 'extra time' once a dog is twelve to fourteen years old.

Michael D. Storey
10-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Almost put her down today..So far, a skin infection we cant cure. She had 2 split NAILS-full of hair and infection, might need to take off toes. Either a tumor or infection on her mammary gland, blind with the least of problems, cataracts...I told the NEW Vet, keep up the bills@$100.00 every 2 weeks and she is gone....UGH We will see if the scripts work. How much do you spend on a 14yr old dog on a fixed income? She is NOT in pain, or if she is, she hides it.:eek::(

Suggest you consider another opinion.
I (we) have a 80 pound old long hair black thing, named after my Mother by the Boys. She was born in 1993. Does not smell too good. She showed signs so bad in feb'y of this year that the test lab asked the vet of the samples were from a dead animal. well, we had scheduled The Day for a Friday, and on Thursday morning, she awoke, and, for the first time in seven days, asked what was for breakfast, stopped pissing herself. Pulled the first paw out of the grave, the living proof of the resurrection, that she is.
Jesse sez a good life is delineated by the dogs in it.
Dogs can hide pain better than any mammal that I know. An aspirin a day can go far to help a beast. Keep the fleas down, do not ask the creature to climb, remain affectionate. Let it eat whatever it would like. A ride in the truck does wonders.
Elizabeth (the dog) saw me through the worst of times, into the very best that there is. it's the very least that you can do for a companion unlike any other.

AussieBarney
10-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Skipper, I'm sorry to hear you are having worries with the old family pet, been there done that. Our love and support to both of you.

Spin_Drift
10-05-2011, 11:28 AM
How is your dog doing? Please give an update.

skipper68
10-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Well, the news is GREAT! I accidentally gave her double dose of antibiotics, till today(was half in the morning, and I did it morning and night-DOH!) and the full bath, anti flea script, grooming and the steroids made her 10 years old again!!!! (EATING LIKE A HOG!)I'm thinking this VEt split her nails on the last visit! She trimmed them....Her attitude was so great, I took her perky self with me today, shopping. I bought her a new toy, and guess who is sitting pretty, wanting to play! Tears in my eyes of happy now. I know all your best wishes helped. THANK YOU ALL! P.S, she is going on 15yrs old.

Spin_Drift
10-05-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm so very glad to hear it.

:):DBY:D

skipper68
10-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Suggest you consider another opinion.
I (we) have a 80 pound old long hair black thing, named after my Mother by the Boys. She was born in 1993. Does not smell too good. She showed signs so bad in feb'y of this year that the test lab asked the vet of the samples were from a dead animal. well, we had scheduled The Day for a Friday, and on Thursday morning, she awoke, and, for the first time in seven days, asked what was for breakfast, stopped pissing herself. Pulled the first paw out of the grave, the living proof of the resurrection, that she is.
Jesse sez a good life is delineated by the dogs in it.
Dogs can hide pain better than any mammal that I know. An aspirin a day can go far to help a beast. Keep the fleas down, do not ask the creature to climb, remain affectionate. Let it eat whatever it would like. A ride in the truck does wonders.
Elizabeth (the dog) saw me through the worst of times, into the very best that there is. it's the very least that you can do for a companion unlike any other. All so true. The part about food-I have never really trusted dog food- and was right with that Chinese crap. Her dog food is a snack. She eats our food-when we are done. It keeps begging down, and I know what she ate. She lays down, and don't look. When we are done, she eats real food. Hates ketchup and clams, but catches her own live fish..the scale's on her are a mess! We are truly Blessed to have such companions. My other dogs were BIG, but only lived 8/10 years. This is the first fur kid I have ever had so long. Comfort is first. She is sleeping, snoring as usual, as I post this. No itching, grumbling, whining. Nice to have her back. Using her litter box, instead of leaving "OPINIONS" about. How deep they get in our hearts.Xing my fingers, and I did pray for her. She has more friends than us!http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/skipper68/skipper68%20lovies/7df42951.jpgCheck out her baby pix 1996.She sat down, and she was half ears, half dog!http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/skipper68/skipper68%20lovies/0937f4db.jpg

McMike
10-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Glad to hear she is doing better.

I cry like a baby every time I've had to put an animal down, my current one will be no exception when the time comes. Just thinking about it makes me a little misty eyed.