PDA

View Full Version : $1,526.11 for this book !!!

goodbasil
10-03-2011, 06:55 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Building-Skin-Frame-Robert-Morris/dp/0881791911

Building Skin-On-Frame Boats by Robert Morris. One listed new on eBay for $1,529.11. Some used ones from $92 up into the $700's
Do these people get this kind of money?

I got one once for a fellow in New Jersey and another chap in Poland for a lot less than that. Still got my own which is new.
Just bought a "as new" one a week ago for about $15--. Just found out it was signed by Robert Morris along with a
short note to the 16th Vancouver Wooden Boat Festival.

Maybe I'm looking at retirement money.

(Right now I'd like to get rid of this kidney stone.)

Michael Beckman
10-04-2011, 05:46 AM
Annoying for those of use who'd just like to read the book. A kindle version would be perfect.

Bruce Hooke
10-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I am always suspicious of the truly ridiculous prices, which $1,529.11 certainly counts as! Someone can ask that much but it is pretty meaningless until someone pays that much. None-the-less, even $92 is pretty steep. Your local library may be able to get a copy through interlibrary loan but of course this is less helpful if you need to have the book by your side throughout the building process. When looking for books that are going for too much money I've had good luck putting a book on my "want list" on Abebooks.com . When a copy of the book you have on your list gets listed on Abebooks you will get an email. Just be prepared to act fast (if the price is reasonable) as other people may be doing the same thing, and be prepared to be disappointed a few times. I am not sure if it was because someone beat me to the book or because the bookseller, once they got an order, did a check and realized they could get more for the book, but I know that a couple of times when I was looking for a somewhat hard to get book I'd see it listed at a good price on Abe and order it and then get an email saying that it was no longer available. However, after trying a few times I got the book I wanted at a reasonable price. Also don't be afraid to place an order even if the seller is overseas (in a western country -- I don't think I would order from a seller in a non-western country just because I feel like the chances go up that it is a scam of some sort). I have ordered books from Australia and the UK and while the shipping cost was a little higher and the wait longer, it was otherwise no big deal.

Dusty Yevsky
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
GoodBasil,

I've been putting the Morris book to good use and am progressing on a SOF Greenland kayak that I will launch in the spring.

I wonder what color the sky is in the imaginary world these book re-sellers inhabit. I just can't believe anyone would pay this price. What really cracks me up is the "+ $3.99 for shipping".

Anyway, thanks again for the book.

Dusty

goodbasil
10-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi Dusty, I'm glad that your satisfied with the book and I hope you post some pictures of your kayak when she's done.

One of the big problem with books listed at these prices is the damage caused to the local libary books. There as always been a problem with pages being ripped out but now it's more so. Or the book is simply never returned.

Breakaway
10-04-2011, 02:41 PM
At a recent garage sale, a 1973 Schwinn Stingray bike ( complete with bannana seat, sissy bar and pristine metallic paint) caught my eye. The guy wanted $3,000 for it and showed a printout of an eBay page showing one for sale at that price as justification. I passed.

When I got home, I went and looked and most of those bikes in original condition were selling for about $800.( Still too steep for me). The only one for $3K was the one owned by the garage sale guy. He had posted the big ask price in order to help sell the bike in person.

Kevin

earling2
10-04-2011, 03:29 PM
At a recent garage sale, a 1973 Schwinn Stingray bike ( complete with bannana seat, sissy bar and pristine metallic paint) caught my eye. The guy wanted $3,000 for it and showed a printout of an eBay page showing one for sale at that price as justification. I passed.

When I got home, I went and looked and most of those bikes in original condition were selling for about $800.( Still too steep for me). The only one for $3K was the one owned by the garage sale guy. He had posted the big ask price in order to help sell the bike in person.

Kevin

This kind of "collectible" greed is really a pain.