PDA

View Full Version : Iran imposes the death penalty on a Christian for "apostasy"

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-29-2011, 01:37 PM
This looks like more attention seeking by the Iranian regime (see thread on sending ships to somewhere off the US coast) but it is not funny at all for the victim:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15116650

pefjr
09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
You shall worship no other god before me! But...., isn't it the same god? Maybe the gods are confused, as they are very old, could be senile, don't cha think? Need some genseng.

Scott Rosen
09-29-2011, 01:51 PM
A 21st Century Inquisition. Seems you just can't kill a really bad idea.

ishmael
09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
The people there need to get serious about not putting up with this B.S.

James McMullen
09-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Boy, history sure is cyclical sometimes, eh? Only a few hundreds of years ago, the similarly corrupt and religiously bigoted Spanish regime was doing the same thing in reverse to their Moors.

Tylerdurden
09-29-2011, 02:15 PM
We should trade with them then. Look what effect it had with China and Falun Gong.

pefjr
09-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Pakinstan too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11745100

Saudi too!

http://barnabasfund.org/US/News/Archives/Christian-evangelist-threatened-with-death-penalty-in-Saudi-Arabia.html

Ah shoot, just google christain death penalty and plug in your country of choice. Dangerous world out there for the blasphemist.

Tylerdurden
09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh, but your missing the propaganda motive entirely. :)

Scott Rosen
09-29-2011, 02:32 PM
Christianity must be really dangerous if you get the death penalty for just thinking it. Can one dare utter the words "love thy neighbor" in places like Iran and Saudi Arabia?

Ian McColgin
09-29-2011, 02:44 PM
This is what happens when religious fanatics get some power.

John of Phoenix
09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Are they going to feed him to lions or what?

Tylerdurden
09-29-2011, 03:05 PM
None of our business.

Ian McColgin
09-29-2011, 03:10 PM
We have a perfect right to express outrage. Of course they have an equal right to note that we have executed people who were not guilty of the crime for which they were convicted. At least this man is actually a Christian and well on his way to martyrdom.

We need to recognize that all nations commit crimes against their own people to a greater or lesser extent and that realistically we can't fix even our own abuses much less all other nations. So the "good" nations, UN or NATO or whatever, might sometimes intervene but it should be very rare and only for the gravest and most massive of crimes against humanity.

Tylerdurden
09-29-2011, 03:14 PM
It's called Diplomacy Ian. We have no business meddling with another country's laws and judicial system. Outrage all you want and if its that important go there and protest as a private citizen. Is it wrong? Yep. Is it something high up on my list. No.

Ian McColgin
09-29-2011, 03:17 PM
It's called agreement Mark. You and I agree that we're not about to intervene on this matter. That national bit of common sense in no way abrogates my right to express my disgust at the death penalty in any nation. And my disgust at theocracies or religious bigots everywhere. realistically

SamSam
09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
Are they going to feed him to lions or what?The religious don't deal with lions as they eat up all the prophets.

Tylerdurden
09-29-2011, 03:20 PM
It's called agreement Mark. You and I agree that we're not about to intervene on this matter. That national bit of common sense in no way abrogates my right to express my disgust at the death penalty in any nation. And my disgust at theocracies or religious bigots everywhere. realistically

No we don't agree. You did mention NATO no?

pefjr
09-29-2011, 07:08 PM
What? No women drivers, must be nice.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/saudi-king-cancels-lashing-sentence-woman-driver-152327486.html

Ian McColgin
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Mark, we only agree to the point of not intervening in Iran on this matter.

Scott Rosen
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Non-intervention is a slippery concept. What if Iran started systematically persecuting Christians? Jailing them? Killing them? At what point do we intervene, if at all? How many have to die before we act?

Fact is, Christians are persecuted, and the persecution has the force of law.

skuthorp
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
The 'other' is persecuted everywhere to one extent or another. Sometimes it's just discrimination, sometimes it's exclusion, sometimes it's death. Sometimes your own family does it in the nonsense of 'honour killings', or some practices still exaunt in India. Sometimes it's your own government sending their military into harms way for political or corporate reasons.
Our species are like that, always some excuse. I was talking to a neighbour, member of a local gospel church, who says a group within their church is attempting to exclude others for not being 'christian' enough.

johnw
09-29-2011, 09:11 PM
The British haven't hanged anyone for blasphemy since 1697.

http://www25.uua.org/uuhs/duub/articles/thomasaikenhead.html

I've got a feeling elsewhere in the Muslim world, this is making young people think they don't want a theocracy.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
09-30-2011, 05:26 AM
I think you are right. It's interesting to see what the Islamists in the Libyan revolution want; they are not interested in a theocratic Caliphate; they want a free enterprise economy under Sharia law - i.e. Islamic finance, no alcohol or pork, a bit careful about tourism of the wrong sort, but definitely a free enterprise democracy, on the model of Turkey and Malaysia.