PDA

View Full Version : redwing 18

ken pecci
12-25-2000, 11:52 AM
is there anyone out there near bath,maine that owns or has built a redwing 18?i'm going to start one and will have plenty of questions.

danjg
02-04-2001, 01:50 PM
Seems to me that the basic hull is similar to the flat bottom skiffs we see everywhere around here. I live in Brunswick and sail out of Great Island. I had an 18' skiff that would go anywhere. The only annoying thing is hull pounding. Drop the speed and it's fine. I thought of adding a cabin to mine but someone wanted it for hauling and made me an offer I just couldn't refuse. Plus it brought my collection down to 4 boats.

ishmael
02-04-2001, 06:26 PM
I think the Redwing is just fine. Could be built, with a bit of savvy, without the plans, but it looks good to me. It will pound, if you try to power into a chop, and it's not what you what if out in a hard chance, but aside from that, go for it.

Used to live in Bath. How are things at the Harborlight these days?

Best, Jack

[This message has been edited by ishmael (edited 02-04-2001).]

PatCox
02-04-2001, 08:24 PM
Ish, please tell me more about the redwing. I have had the idea that I want to build it for two years or more. Allow me to tell the story in full. I do respect your opinion and would like to hear your comments. I live on the south Jersey shore. The area is full of very shallow bays behind barrier islands. The bays are very shallow, but enormous, there are hundreds of square miles to explore if you have a draft of a foot or less. I want to explore them, at length, on trips of several days at a time. With my wife, who likes her comfort. So, ideally, I would like a boat with 1 foot or less of draft. I have no desire for speed, a little quiet four stroke outboard that would push me at 6 or 8 knots is more than sufficient. I would like an open cockpit of 6' or so so my wife and I can lay full length and doze in the warm late afternoon sun of summer days. I would like a cabin in which I could stand up, even if only in a little two square foot area in front of the galley, which need only be a little two square foot area. I need an enclosed head. An icebox would be fine, a propane fridge would be better, which would allow a propane stove. I would like the ability for two to sit and eat in the cabin on chilly days, and I'd love to have a little woodstove to extend the season. With full canvas in that cockpit, it would be comfortable in those shallow back bays nearly all year. I'd hope to be at around 24'. is there such a boat? how close is the redwing? I figure this would be a boat that someday I would trailer around for weekends or weeks in places like the Erie Canal or various rivers or lakes that catch my fancy. What do you think? Would you care to build it for me, for the right price?

ishmael
02-04-2001, 08:54 PM
Hi Pat,

Only know the Redwing from its perspective drawings in the back of WB, and my imagination. I understand that Stambaugh has a larger version too, about the 24 ft mark you mention.

They are wonderful, within their limits, to my way of seeing boats. Large, flat bottomed, skiffs (sharpies, as they get this big, but they're just big skiffs). Built with ply and googe, if you can stand that for a single project. Cuddy cabins, a couple bunks, a place to fire the vittles.

As far as comfort goes, for the wife: depends on the wife and what she sees as comfortable. Not gonna find anything that resembles better than a good tent in a 24 foot, flat bottomed, boat. Anything in this size range, and parameters, that has standing headroom under the cabin, is just plain stupid/ugly.

Best of luck, and fine adventuring partners to ya. Jack

P.S. Just caught that offer of a commission. I'm without shop Pat. Otherwise, I'd consider the proposition. The world is a strange and wonderful place. Maybe commission Rick Prose and me to build it, and lead me back to the coast of Maine, where I belong. Who knows. Bent, but unbroken.

[This message has been edited by ishmael (edited 02-05-2001).]

PatCox
02-05-2001, 07:37 AM
Ish, have you seen the drawing of the redwing 26 at the website for chesapeake marine design? It seems to have all the ingredients I want, except maybe one; it might not be as nice looking as the redwing. The Redwing is almost unchanged from a Chappelle design in one of his books, the boat building book, and its a very pretty boat, to me, but I am not sure that the 26 foot model is as pretty, something seems to be lost in the gracefullness of it. That list I described, enclosed head, just enough space to stand, thats what I meant by the creature comforts for my wife, I could live in a tent, myself. I'm still at a loss as to whether I'd want to spend all that money on a boat that would be limited to such sheltered waters, I could go to 2' of draft and have a little more flexibility. Oh well, its fun deciding.

Moto-man
02-05-2001, 11:20 AM
If your not all ready building the 18' Redwing and are looking for a similiar design, check out Tracy O'Brian's Kayliegh.
Flat bottom with speed controling rocker like Redwing, 19', outboard well, small cabin and a bow to die for. S&G construction

Mike Vogdes
02-05-2001, 11:44 AM
Is there a site to view Tracy O'Brian's design?

Keith Wilson
02-05-2001, 12:28 PM
For Tracy O'Brien's boat designs, see:

http://www5.inetba.com/tracyobriencom/productCat637.ctlg?orderId=&custId=

DougWilde
02-07-2001, 10:24 PM
Ken,

If you can break out of 18' and range up to 22' I would suggest looking at "Jog-Along" by the Atkins. I've scanned the first page of the article from the Ideal Boats series of books.

Click on this link:
http://www.cox-internet.com/wilde/Images/JogALong.jpg

She is built for two outboards under cover in the stern. Safety in numbers. Simple V-bottom. As salty a boat as one could wish. Plans are for aluminum construction, but a bit of work would provide a translation to wood. I just love this boat.

Doug Wilde

PatCox
02-08-2001, 07:50 AM
Doug, sir, please tell me more; this boat looks like what I am after, even if the draft is a bit more than I had wanted. Does this designer have similar, slightly larger designs? Does this design involve compouind curves, or would it be appropriate for plywood? It does like nice and salty.

DougWilde
02-14-2001, 10:13 PM
Pat,

You need to buy the Atkin Designs calalog. The address I have for it is

Atkin & Co.
P.O. Box 3005
Noroton, CT 06820

Check the back of a recent WoodenBoat for price. Well worth the money.

Doug

Mike Keers
02-14-2001, 11:20 PM
Pat,
Since you've already considered the Redwing 26, have you looked at Karl's Puffin 28? A bit bigger, 2-foot draft, but inboard diesel. Ply and poxy construction. I'm building one now.

I too had considered the Redwing 26, but it's still a flat-bottomed design. The Puffin is a deeper V, and better suited to my intended use in more exposed waters. All depends on what you're after I suppose. Puffin is a larger boat all around, at #6500 and 9-6 beam. I've had my eye on this design for over ten years, just getting around to it now ;)
<http://www.cmdboats.com/puffin.htm>

On re-reading your wish-list, the Redwing 26 might be better suited to protected waters, but a lot more room in the 28.
Fair winds, Mike

Keith Wilson
02-15-2001, 09:22 AM
Arch Davis has two designs that might be of interest: the "Jiffy 22" (in both v-bottom and flat-bottom versions) and the "Jack Tar". These are basically plywood outboard-powered Maine lobsterboats. I have no direct experience, but the pictures on his web site looked nice, FWIW.

http://by-the-sea.com/archdavisdesign/index.html

Stambaugh has also designed a 22' Redwing, in both pilothouse and launch versions - the launch has an optional cuddy cabin. Same hull shape as the 18', just bigger. The launch is the only one shown on his website. See:

http://www.cmdboats.com/rw21l.htm

PatCox
02-16-2001, 08:12 PM
Thanks, Mike, I do like the look of that puffin; I guess it is not practical to look for 1' draft in a boat with the acomodations I want anyway, I would rather go to the deeper draft and get the better rough water abilities, too. I may ask you how construction is going if I remember as the months go by.