PDA

View Full Version : buy this book

Paul Pless
09-26-2011, 07:52 AM
What's the best book you've read in the last 30 days?

Kevin T
09-26-2011, 08:47 AM
"Steal This Book" by Abbie Hoffman which included this piece of counter-culture wisdom:
"Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon."

Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, both the author and the target of the above suggestion are both dead a long time already and the book was written during a whole other time in US history.;)

James McMullen
09-26-2011, 08:51 AM
At Home by Bill Bryson. Utterly engrossing non-fiction.

Kevin T
09-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Couldn't put it down. Found myself saying on more than a few occasions; "oh so that's where that turn of phrase came from." A totally enjoyable read, which on the face of it would seem counter intuitive if you told someone you were reading a book on the evolution of a building.

Bobcat
09-26-2011, 08:55 AM

I read it: great book

Duncan Gibbs
09-26-2011, 08:57 AM
Eric Hiscock's Cruising Under Sail, currently on loan from the Sibley Nautical Library.

Uncle Duke
09-26-2011, 08:58 AM
+1 for At Home....

Best I've read in the past 30 days? Hunting Mr. Heartbreak by Jonathon Raban. Not his best, probably, but a fantastic opening:

There is a sentence that has stirred the imagination of Europe as powerfully as any call to arms. I've seen it written a hundred times, and have always felt a pang of envy for its lucky author. It is so jaunty, so unreasonably larger than life. It promises to deliver the unexpected - some fantastic reversal of fortune, some miraculous transfiguration in the character of the writer. It deserves a paragraph to itself, and should be printed in ceremonious italics.

"Having arrived in Liverpool, I took ship for the new world."

BrianW
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks!

"At Home" and "Warthog" are both awaiting download to my Kindle.