PDA

View Full Version : I'm a bit conflicted

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 10:21 AM
My 12 year old granddaughter asked me to take her deer hunting. On the surface there is no problem, her parents’ place is over run with the critters. I have an extra junk stock for my Mini 30 which is a perfectly appropriate caliber with low recoil. I will need to cut it off about 2” for her (she is quite small… could pass for an 8 year old.

The shooting part is easy enough but I dread killing a deer. I support hunting but have grown squeamish in my old age. I do not want to foist my squeamish attitude on her. I believe it is better to let her come to it on her own if ever. I do not want someone else to take her hunting because there are none available who I know to be safe or do not have some other disqualifying reason.

All said and done, it isn’t much of a conflict but I thought to put it up here for discussion anyway.

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 10:25 AM
Phillip..better to have someone guide her than leaving it to someone else who is not proficient in the purpose of firearms.. I'm not against Hunting at all. I have done enough autopsies on deer that have starved to death..Nasty...Forget lunch

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Phillip..better to have someone guide her than leaving it to someone else who is not proficient in the purpose of firearms.. I'm not against Hunting at all. I have done enough autopsies on deer that have starved to death..Nasty...Forget lunch

I understand that we've (locally) had a bloom in the deer population... even with all this hot and dry weather... many to hunt but likely to be scrawnny

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Many will be dead deer next spring. If they are thin now, before winter! LOL Even with the rut, they shouldn't be.

Ian McColgin
09-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Since I recalled age restrictions from my own youth, I googled Arkansas regs and noticed an age minimum of 16. I take it you know of some exemption to this that I did not spot in a quick browse.

G'luck

bobbys
09-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Course i do not know her but if you were to shoot one and it withered around on the ground dieing it might be to much for her, And even if not you have to gut it.

I would just consider taking her for a walk in the woods for a hour and study droppings and hoof prints.

Make a lot of noise like coughing or sing show tunes.

Guess in R kansas one might have to sing country songs or the theme to the Dukes of Hazard{thats a joke Glenn!}

Bob Adams
09-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Since I recalled age restrictions from my own youth, I googled Arkansas regs and noticed an age minimum of 16. I take it you know of some exemption to this that I did not spot in a quick browse.

G'luck

I think that is for without a parent or guardian.

Waddie
09-24-2011, 10:41 AM
Don't forget that she will need to take the Hunter Safety class before you take her hunting. You better sign her up soon because they fill up fast.

PS. I took all my boys hunting, but forgot to take my daughter. It was 35 years ago, and it just didn't occur to me that a girl would be interested. Today, not only do her and her husband hunt, she competes in Sporting Clays. Reloads, too.

BTW. True story. My son in law shot two turkeys through the head with ONE shot. Not intentional, they just lined up right when he squeezed off the shot. I was there and saw it.....

We, too, have a greats overabundance of deer, but plenty of grazing land, so none sick as yet. Lots of damaged/totaled vehicles, though.

regards,
Waddie

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 10:43 AM

G'luck

I'll check again but when I was teaching the course the age 16 was the requirement for purchasing a license... younger people do not need a license. There may be a requirement that younger than 16 needs to be accompanied... obviously not a problem as I intend to do just that.

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
If one is hunting on his land, I think the regs are different Ian.

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
If one is hunting on his land, I think the regs are different Ian.

there's a couple of hundred acres involved, owned by her parents and grandmother

Ian McColgin
09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Younger do not need a license? What a state! So if you're under the age to get a driver's license you can just drive without one? Or underage for a marriage license?

Anyway, hope all goes well. G'luck

Meli
09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Ask her mother.
The child might like the idea of deer (or anything else) shooting, but the grim reality of killing Bambi...?
Ask her to help you wring a chooks neck first, just to hold its feet or even watch and see how she copes. or get her to retrieve and carry a warm dead bunny home.

I'm serious. death of a large animal could be a tad traumatic for a 12 year old to start off with.

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 10:49 AM
If you are not 21, you can't have a beer but you can hold a gun.May be you could use it on shooting a deer. Your point please Ian?

JimD
09-24-2011, 10:54 AM
If you're squeamish about it let her kill the deer and you can just do the gutting and skinning.

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Ask her mother.
The child might like the idea of deer (or anything else) shooting, but the grim reality of killing Bambi...?
Ask her to help you wring a chooks neck first, just to hold its feet or even watch and see how she copes. or get her to retrieve and carry a warm dead bunny home.

I'm serious. death of a large animal could be a tad traumatic for a 12 year old to start off with.
the idea is to let her make discoveries for herself... not to condition her to think like me or anyone else... that is why most people vote like their parents or contrary to their parents... conditioning/brainwashing... I won't have it... she eats meat... she gets to hire a hit-man like most of us but she should know something of the process... ignorance is not acceptable, brain washing is not acceptable, following fashion is not acceptable and on and on

Her mother doesn't hunt but she certainly eats meat. She watched the butchering of big white turkeys when she was little ("momma hammered its head with the hatchet") and the family butchering of a large hog... she takes it as a matter of course and doesn't hunt because it's work and her husband is a finicky eater.

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 11:02 AM
If you are not 21, you can't have a beer but you can hold a gun.May be you could use it on shooting a deer. Your point please Ian?

levity, Jamie, levity

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
If you're squeamish about it let her kill the deer and you can just do the gutting and skinning.

she has already announced that :)

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 11:06 AM
I don't see the humor..When you autopsy a deer that has starved to death due to overpopulation, let me know.

Phillip Allen
09-24-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't see the humor..When you autopsy a deer that has starved to death due to overpopulation, let me know.

I think a bit of generosity will help some of the tension from time to time