PDA

View Full Version : The latest (oldest) performance enhancing drug.

TimH
09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
The performance-enhancing effects of nicotine included increased "vigilance and cognitive function," and reduced stress and body weight.
"Interestingly, nicotine also triggers a significant increase of pulse rate, blood pressure, blood sugar and epinephrine release owing to simultaneous stimulant and relaxant properties," the report said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/09/16/Nicotine-banned-substance.ap/index.html#ixzz1Yq6opTdg

Waddie
09-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't think tobacco is the "oldest performance enhancing" drug....

regards,
Waddie

TimH
09-23-2011, 11:31 PM
its one of them. My point is that there is a new point of view on tobacco. Something we have long known...but never articulated.

Waddie
09-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, you're right.

I think beer was the original....... :)

regards,
Waddie

TimH
09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Maybe nicotine should be converted to a prescription or over the counter drug instead of what it is now. It would kill much fewer people in a different form.

AussieBarney
09-24-2011, 01:39 AM
It is not so much the drug as its delivery system. My father was prescribed nicotine as an inhalant (sp) it is already a medicine.

purri
09-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Yeah, you're right.

I think beer was the original....... :)

regards,
Waddie

fungi.

pipefitter
09-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Maybe nicotine should be converted to a prescription or over the counter drug instead of what it is now. It would kill much fewer people in a different form.

The Nicoderm patch is pretty effective.

spirit
09-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Alcohol is most likely the oldest drug used by humans.
It is unusual in that it is used in much larger doses than most drugs (think 15-45 grams at a sitting).
Since it enhances the activity of the sedative neurotransmitter, GABA, its actions are not mind-enhancing.

Caffeine is used by more people than any other drug.
Since it diminishes the action of the neurotransmitter adenosine (which is inhibitory), caffeine wakes us up.
Pre-historic humans probably used it too.

RodSBT
09-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Tour de France. AAAAhh, the good old days!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads17/tour_de_france_old_passing_cigarette_smoke12797438 47.jpg

Shang
09-24-2011, 07:38 PM
When I first saw the headline I thought they were encouraging nicotine as a means of enhancing performance. Oh shucks, I stopped smoking thirty years ago, there goes my Olympic gold medal...
Then I read the report.

The World Anti-Doping Agency can take the first steps toward classifying nicotine as a performance-enhancing drug on Saturday, when it meets to update its list of substances prohibited in sport.

WADA has received a report from its accredited laboratory in Lausanne, Switzerland, that describes "alarming evidence" of nicotine use by athletes across 43 sports studied.

"WADA and sport federations should evaluate the inclusion of nicotine to the Prohibited List or/and Monitoring Program," the Lausanne lab reported after a year-long study published by the Forensic Science International journal.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/more/09/16/Nicotine-banned-substance.ap/index.html#ixzz1Yv6sw12c ...