PDA

View Full Version : Get on with it !!

Meli
09-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Things you always had a secret suspicion you might be really good at but were too shy,too old, busy, tired or just plain scared to do.:d

Forming a blues band or other band
Drawing
Cooking
whatever ..

I think next year I'm going to do something about it and stop smoking and start singing.

Who's next? go for it :D

SamSam
09-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Next year? Ha! I'm going to do it all maņana!

perldog007
09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I had so much fun crabbing and fishing this year, but my GLD isn't really built for that. Want to make a working dory and spend a lot more time on the water next season.

John Turpin
09-23-2011, 06:46 PM
I've always wanted to do radio and/or voice-over work. I've never had the courage to try.

Mrleft8
09-23-2011, 06:56 PM
I've always wanted to paint myself with dark chocolate, and do nude Jello wrestling with 20 Y/O, cosmetically enhanced, women.... Not in public, of course....

Arizona Bay
09-23-2011, 07:06 PM
I yam!

6 years into an adventure...

Walk up to the edge of the cliff, and jump off.... :d Do it!

Flying Orca
09-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Well. I'm back to regular work on the boat, and even updated the blog. I just bought a sweet new practice amp with some killer tones and I'm going to work on my lead and steel guitar chops. Today I started a medication that should help me finally quit smoking.

Further down the road, there are a few minor (e.g. garage doors) and major (new closets and refinish the hardwood floors) things to be tackled around the house, some of them before the snow flies in a month or so. And the big one: I'm seriously considering going back to school a year from now to obtain a Masters in public administration.

All of which should be enough to keep me out of any real trouble. :D

Meli
09-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Re going back to school/uni, Go for it.
You can do a lot of real diploma stuff supported by real universities online now.
I got my cert III in Library studies this year and am half way through my cert(ificte) IV.
Did 90% online but could attend tutorials at the campus when I could make it there.
It was a lovely feeling wandering round the campus with a bag of books and the work was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be :D

Do it !!

Mrleft8
09-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey Flying Porkbutt (:D)..... You taking the "Chantix" to try quitting smoking? It worked great for me. Makes you sick as a dog, but it really works well! (or it did for me)

Meli
09-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I tried it, worked really well, but I quit :D
side effects gave me palpitations, thought I was having a heart attack while driving the with the kids in the car at 120km. Too scary.
But dont let that deter you, I know plenty of people it's worked for without too many side effects.

And "porkbutt" my arse!! :p:
Dont listen to TD, I'm 5'7" and about 120 lbs

Mrleft8
09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
side effects gave me palpitations, thought I was having a heart attack while driving the with the kids in the car at 120km. Too scary.
But dont let that deter you, I know plenty of people it's worked for without too many side effects.

Dont listen to TD, I'm 5'7" and about 120 lbsErrrrrrr..... Thanks for the stats Mel!..... But I was referencing "Flying Orca"....(AKA Flying Porkbutt) :D

Flying Orca
09-24-2011, 08:36 AM
You can do a lot of real diploma stuff supported by real universities online now.

Distance education won't be necessary; the University of Winnipeg campus is about 200 m from my house. :D What I have to figure out is how to do it while missing a minimum amount of work.

Flying Orca
09-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Hey Flying Porkbutt (:D)..... You taking the "Chantix" to try quitting smoking? It worked great for me. Makes you sick as a dog, but it really works well! (or it did for me)

Yeah, that's the stuff. I'm aiming to quit around October 2nd.

Did you know whales don't really have butts? As for this other stuff, it's... it's... insulation! Yeah, that's it, insulation. :D

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 08:44 AM
I got my cert III in Library studies this year and am half way through my cert(ificte) IV.
Did 90% online but could attend tutorials at the campus when I could make it there.
It was a lovely feeling wandering round the campus with a bag of books and the work was not nearly as scary as I thought it would be :D

Do it !!There are so many ads on the TV now about online education. I'm curious..Is the cost about the same, minus room and board obviously, as attending, physically, a college or a university? Obviously it has to be a money maker!!! I assume one still has to buy the books and the other odds and end. I've never met someone who took online courses.What about accreditation issues? Transferring credits etc to another university.

Meli
09-24-2011, 08:50 AM
There are so many ads on the TV now about online education. I'm curious..Is the cost about the same, minus room and board obviously, as attending, physically, a college or a university? Obviously it has to be a money maker!!!I assume one still has to buy the books and the other odds and end. I've never met someone who took online courses.What about accreditation issues? Transferring credits etc to another university.

I have no information about online university in the USA.
Here, our proper Universities like Swinburne, offer tuition and courses from certificate to degree level on line, fully supported by the regular on campus tutors. Mine cost $120-180 per half year. only one text required, they posted all learning materials on line.
Fully accredited, and credits are transferable to any other course at any other Australian University.

That cost was for certificate III or VI. The cost to do a diploma or degree will be higher (6-15 thousand PA depending on the degree, but I can get an interest free loan from the government,re- payable only when my income exceeds about $45,000 PA

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 08:56 AM
At college, it usually worked out to $30.00/credit hours. If one was taking somewhere around 20 credit hours a semester,it works out to $600.00 but this was in the seventies.Not counting books, board and food.*
I was just curious about this..As in, is it a gimmick here in the states? Certainly convenient though..Thanks for the reply..

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 09:03 AM
Toanswer the OP
I love to draw..pen and inks.
I love to cook and did as an owner of a traditional B$B ( full, homemade meals) for 8 yrs.
I would like to be a real photographer..Not a point and click variety, or the new cameras that do everything for you but boil water. I played with B&W pics. including developing at college.I don't know many people that still use film, as in some cases, hard to come by now. Kodacrhome is gone from the market as an example. I'm sure some still do though..

Meli
09-24-2011, 09:03 AM
you're welcome.
better ask flying er... orca :D about his University next door about the USA university costs etc

Meli
09-24-2011, 09:47 AM
I wish we had decent smilies on here :D

^THIS POST IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICS :D

B_B
09-24-2011, 10:21 AM
you're welcome.
better ask flying er... orca :D about his University next door about the USA university costs etcUhh, Winnipeg isn't in the USA. ;)

Meli
09-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Uhh, Winnipeg isn't in the USA. ;)

OOOPs sorry FO Y:o

Bob Adams
09-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Dont listen to TD, I'm 5'7" and about 120 lbs

Ask your doc to prescribe Wellbutrin. Worked for me, no side effects. Chantix made me ill also.