PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln

John A. Campbell
09-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Several years ago I ran across the following message in a newspaper or magazine article, cut it out, had it plasticized, and have been carrying in my wallet ever since.......I think it is quite fitting for the times we are now living in.....here it is:

Long ago Abraham Lincoln wrote....."Corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money-power of the Country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in few hands and the Republic is destroyed".

John

S.V. Airlie
09-23-2011, 12:56 PM
He was a smart man.. I google his quotes and I am amazed by what he writes about many subjects..Including this one, but also education, his feelings about slavery. He had a crystal ball.

ishmael
09-24-2011, 09:33 AM
A fine spirit that one. Somehow, out of the disparate skeins, he was able to re-forge the nation. As any school kid could have once told you, at a ghastly cost.

I wonder sometimes, as one will, what his conversations with Mary were like. He was engaged with all his being in the pragmatic concerns of the war, and Mary was holding seances. What a pair! I have to think, with no evidence, that her influence wasn't small in his sense of destiny.

RonW
09-24-2011, 09:42 AM
History repeats itself..

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Mary Todd was interesting..Tad put her in an insane asylum later in her lie. The death of"Willy" was probably the trigger.

Gerarddm
09-24-2011, 10:06 AM
I have heard mention of this before, but nobody has ever cited the document wherein it resides.

Anybody?

Or is this just another attempt to put words into a great man's mouth for ideological purposes?

BTW, wasn't it son Robert who placed Mary in an institution briefly? I think Tad's death pushed her over the edge...

S.V. Airlie
09-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Which document? There are pages of quotes on google about a variety of subjects..Check them out..

pipefitter
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
I have heard mention of this before, but nobody has ever cited the document wherein it resides.

Anybody?

Or is this just another attempt to put words into a great man's mouth for ideological purposes?

BTW, wasn't it son Robert who placed Mary in an institution briefly? I think Tad's death pushed her over the edge...

I think that quote was debunked by Lincoln's secretary or someone who was close to him as a forgery as it appeared some 20 years after his death. Plus it is missing the rest of the quote which alters the context of the statement.

ETA: I don't know if Snopes is credible, but it was one I found when searching the quote. It does at least include the entire quote.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln.asp

C. Ross
09-25-2011, 10:02 AM
Lincoln never said it.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln.asp

Gerarddm
09-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Paul Oman take note, who tried to pass it off on me as genuine.

John A. Campbell
09-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Really, really love your "closing statement" (or whatever they call it at the end of message.....about what to REMEMBER at voting time).....I shall definitely remember it....just hope many others do.
Paul Oman take note, who tried to pass it off on me as genuine.