PDA

View Full Version : Meatball recipe ...

brad9798
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Have two pounds of ground chuck ... FRESH from a cow ...

Someone give me a good recipe for meatballs ... and meatballs only!

The only thing I do not find in the pantry, surprisingly is RICE ... so need something else for a recipe ...

HELP!!! Wife and kids will be home in about four (4) hours ...

B:!

S.V. Airlie
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
I hope it is from a cow! Changes things...At least the recipe...

brad9798
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
C'mon folks ...

Help me out here!

B

Soundbounder
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Sorry, but you need to add a little bit of ground pork and/or veal to them.

brad9798
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Okay ... I CAN do that ... what is YOUR suggestion ...

B

Canoez
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Alright... Hold yer horses.

1 Pound ground beef
1/2 cup grated parmesian
1/4 cup chopped parsley (or an equivalent amount of dried...)
1/2 tsp basil (dried)
1/4 tsp oregano (dried)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
ground black pepper (to taste)
1 egg

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

Form into meatballs and pan fry to brown. Then bake for about 10-12 minutes at 350°F

Personally, I prefer to add a bit of ground pork to the beef if available.

S.V. Airlie
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Sorry, but you need to add a little bit of ground pork and/or veal to them.I agree.....

Soundbounder
09-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Canoez's recipe looks good!
But I would use some real garlic and a tablespoon or two of olive oil.

Canoez
09-22-2011, 01:31 PM
Canoez's recipe looks good!
But I would use some real garlic and a tablespoon or two of olive oil.

Yeah, I much prefer them with fresh spices, but not everyone has them hanging around.

Mike - why don't you prefer your meatballs browned? I find that it helps keep them from drying out too much in the oven when cooking them through.

Paul Pless
09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
HELP!!! Wife and kids will be home in about four (4) hours ...

is she bringing her cheerleader friends?

C'mon folks ...

Help me out here!

B

How far do you live from "The Hill". Zia's has a to go menu. . .

brad9798
09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
We pride ourselves on fresh spices ... so wing away ... we've got'em!!!

Paul Pless
09-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Republican half wit. He can eat his meatball raw for all I care.You're the one who said not to brown them. . .

brad9798
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Remember, Memphis ...
Republican half wit. He can eat his meatball raw for all I care.

This is fresh enough to actually EAT RAW!!!! Think tar-tar ... IF you know what that means! ;) :)

Now- after this, simply CUT IT OUT, Memphis! :D

brad9798
09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
WOW- Paul ... used to live for 10 years about a mile from the Hill ... have two friends that own restaurants there still. One of the things I TRULY miss about living in the city ... :(

brad9798
09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately, Paul ... beyond my looking on facebook, there are not other friends coming ...

BUT--- we are going to Texas in a couple of weeks for a reunion ...

You may want to come!!!!! :D

Paul Pless
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
WOW- Paul ... used to live for 10 years about a mile from the Hill ... have two friends that own restaurants there still. One of the things I TRULY miss about living in the city ... :(

One of my good friends lived there for about five years.

brad9798
09-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Good night, Memphis ... you must be tired at about now ... :D

S.V. Airlie
09-22-2011, 03:15 PM
a meatball is a meat ball. It often depends on what you put into the entire dish. Spice is always good, but...It is just one ingredient

brad9798
09-22-2011, 03:23 PM
Bread crumbs ... pureed carrots and tomatoes ... onions ... two large eggs ... garlic, sea salt, ground peppercorn ...

Cooking a fresco sauce now ... with penne pasta ...

Green beans with a tablespoon of bacon grease/fat ...

Nice bib lettuce for a salad ... with homemade balsamic vinaigrette

HMMMMM WILL BE GREAT, ME THINKS!!!

S.V. Airlie
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
About right Brad..on the right track..

brad9798
09-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Ready for bed now ... our tummies are full! Time for a quick dvd/blu-ray ... then bed!!!

B

brad9798
09-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Ready for bed now ... our tummies are full! Time for a quick dvd/blu-ray ... then bed!!!

B

Paul Pless
09-22-2011, 05:40 PM
not even six o clock

Joe (SoCal)
09-22-2011, 07:39 PM
THIS IS MY FAMOUSE MEATBALL RECIPE

NONE BETTA NO PLACE NO HOW

Meat-a-balls a la Família Schiavone di Roma
Exact Ingredients (NB : “exact” means just that) :
​Chopped meat – “chuck” grade (1 lb.) brought to room temperature beforehand – more expensive cuts are not better!
​Eggs (1) – again, brought to room temperature
​Salt (3/4 tsp.)
​Black pepper (fresh, fine ground – 4 turns on pepper mill)
Italian (Progresso) breadcrumbs *(1/3 c.) soaked in 2/3 c. warm milk for 2 min. – adjust milk if necessary – not runny, not lumpy, but wet all the way through
​Grated Italian cheese (1/2 c. fresh grated Pecorino (Romano) – no substitutes)
​Parsley (dried 3/4 *Tbs. Or 2 Tbs. fresh)
​Oregano (dried 1/3 tsp. – do not use fresh oregano – it tastes very different)
Olive Oil for cooking (enough to come ½ way up side of meatballs in 11”-12” skillet) – do not use extra virgin
​Raisins – This was an early variation on the traditional theme, that found favor in certain corners of Iowa, only. *If compelled by spouse, 5-6 per meatball is sufficient, but then cut cheese to 1/3 cup.
Exact Directions (NB : stray just once and you’ll get “meat loaf”) :
 Form meat into flat sheet about 1” thick – do not press or pound & touch as little as possible– just push to flatten out; sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper; sprinkle cheese, parsley and oregano evenly over flattened meat.
 Make well in middle of meat and place egg in well; beat with fork (removing egg from shell in advance of beating saves clean-up time); spread egg over meat. *Spread ½ soaked bread crumbs over meat and push in with fingers; turn meat over and spread and push remaining bread crumbs on reverse side into meat. *Do not handle more than you have to.
 Work the breadcrumbs, egg, cheese, parsley, oregano, salt/pepper mix into meat with fingers until evenly dispersed. *Mix just enough to blend ingredients evenly but (did I mention?) try not to handle it too much as it will make the meat tough. *No breadcrumbs should be in discernible lumps.
 Form meat into balls > golf ball but < lime (approx. 10-13) while heating oil for 4-5 minutes – until very hot, but not smoking (drop button size piece of meat into oil to test temperature – one kernel of popcorn will pop at 350°). *Keep rolling meat until surface is round and shows no cracks or crevices. *By the way, do not handle meatball too much! No points for being perfectly rolled.
 Place meatballs carefully into pan (non-stick is ok, but not ideal) once temperature is about 350° but not too close to sides starting in a circle at 6:00 (AM or PM!) and work clockwise, saving center for last few.
 After about 4½-5 min. in oil at medium high so as to maintain 350°, flip meatballs over in same clockwise order with fork (or scrape with spatula), using it to gently lift and turn. *Meatballs should now have a crust on top. *Cook another 4-4½ *min. on second side; use fork/slotted spoon to remove one or two meatballs at a time in same order; letting oil drip back into pan. *Transfer meatballs in same order onto paper toweling, leaving room between them. *Repeat with 2nd or 3rd batch, skimming “filmy scuzz” off top of oil in between batches. *If oil is hot enough, you should lose very little (maybe only 1-2 Tbs.) in the fry process and can still cook a 2nd and 3rd batch without adding more; if not, your oil wasn’t hot enough to start and meatballs will be greasy.
 Let meatballs drain on toweling for a minute on one side and flip over to clean spot (the room you left between them) for another minute to drain other side.
 Be sure to eat one when it is so hot you go, “Ooh, ooh, ooh! *Boy, that’s hot!” and juice runs down your mouth and onto your shirt. *It’s OK!! *Wipe mouth with sleeve and repeat. *You will burn your mouth again! *No learning should occur. *If you do not feel this urge to keep burning your mouth, you have handled the meat too much! *Don’t say I didn’t tell you! *Let the remainder “rest” in a clean spot so the meat juices (the stuff that burned your mouth) settle back into the meatball before putting them into the gravy – about 10 mins. *Any uneaten ones may be put in gravy pot to absorb gravy. *Obviously, the “eaten” ones may not. *Simmer on low, low, low for about ½ hour in gravy. *If you made gravy with pieces of other meats in it, remove those pieces so meatballs have room to expand and don’t get crushed.

Canoez
09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Raisins? You kiddin' me?

brad9798
09-23-2011, 02:04 PM
I WILL try that next time, Joe ... sounds good!

:)