PDA

View Full Version : Hey Mark

Memphis Mike
09-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I've been reading bits and pieces where you might be having some physical problems? Although I don't agree with some of the stuff you post, I wish you a speedy recovery. I know this will probably turn into a negative thread but I will have said my piece and will delete it. :)

Glen Longino
09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Good post, Mike!
Mark has made a point of telling me he wishes me good health and a long life despite our differences.
This is a good place to wish him the same.

S.V. Airlie
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
MM..I'm sure he will appreciate that as he has had some medical issues and they may resort in ending up in a wheel chair. So how about eliminating all wheelchair jokes on the forum?

perldog007
09-14-2011, 11:34 AM
MM..I'm sure he will appreciate that as he has had some medical issues and they may resort in ending up in a wheel chair. So how about eliminating all wheelchair jokes on the forum?

That won't do, because then Flying Orca wouldn't have made a derogatory wheelchair reference to me and I wouldn't have been able to post a pic of my GLD which is, after all, a wooden boat. What are you trying to do, shut the place down ? :D

S.V. Airlie
09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm not..But some here want the forum to match their visions of what a forum should be...

Ian McColgin
09-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Anyway, good to have a moment's time out to wish Mark well.

bobbys
09-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I wish good health on everyone here.

Sure once i wished Glenn got a paper cut for calling me names but that very day i got a splinter as if karma had nailed me

John of Phoenix
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Smashed a finger pretty badly I think. Hope you're doing better, Mark.

Uncle Duke
09-14-2011, 11:40 AM
I will gladly join Mike and Glen (everyone, actually) in wishing Mark the best of luck and the best outcomes, differences aside. I have a short list of people who "need" burdens (my "fecal roster"), but he's not on it.

... So how about eliminating all wheelchair jokes on the forum?
Mark may be many things, but humorless is not one of them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he made wheelchair jokes!

Glen Longino
09-14-2011, 11:45 AM

Sure once i wished Glenn got a paper cut for calling me names but that very day i got a splinter as if karma had nailed me

That was not Karma, that was Voodoo.
I got one of those little corn husk dolls from a curandera down in Mexico, and I keep it right here handy so I can poke a pin in it anytime you get out of line. Be very afraid!LOL:D

David G
09-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Mark,

I hadn't noticed that you were having health issues. I'll echo the good wishes above.

Bruce Taylor
09-14-2011, 11:54 AM
I'd heard of this, and was planning to post something. I see Mike got there first. Y>

Mark, whatever your health issues are, I deeply hope they clear up and leave you as good as ever. To return a comment you made to me, not long ago: "Blessings on you and yours."

Spin_Drift
09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I too wish Mark well. He has ALWAYS been nice and kind to me. There is something to what my mother said from time to time (trying to translate it from Finnish) "as you call out to the echoing canyon, so it will answer."

I don't know what physical problem he has, if I did, I'd try to see if there would be help for it.

Thanks for starting this thread Mike. It's good for Mark to known he also has friends, or at least people who care, -in this forum. :)

TomF
09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I'd heard of this, and was planning to post something. I see Mike got there first. Y>

Mark, whatever your health issues are, I deeply hope they clear up and leave you as good as ever. To return a comment you made to me, not long ago: "Blessings on you and yours."As the poet said ...

t

brad9798
09-14-2011, 11:58 AM
Obviously of any differences, I hop you are well, Mark!!!!

Bruce Hooke
09-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Best wishes for a full recovery Mark.

Bob Adams
09-14-2011, 12:08 PM
I wish Mark good health also. Hey Jamie, does this mean Dutch's wheechair is off limits too?

S.V. Airlie
09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Bob..do what is right...

B_B
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I wholeheartedly agree; and theirs' too, of course.

skipper68
09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Really, hoping it's just a temporary problem,:( and sending good wishes your way.

Soundbounder
09-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Mark, I hope you are doing better.

peter radclyffe
09-14-2011, 12:56 PM
best wishes Mark

Tylerdurden
09-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Thank You you all. I guess I should get this out to avoid rumors so here it is a briefly as I can put it. When I broke my back in 03' the spine center who treated me saw the precursors of Pagets Disease. It was pretty early on but visible in my bone scan. As I lived a pretty hard life it was masked by all the injury's that showed. I already had arthritis in my joints and they said it needed to be monitored. At that point being down for nine months about drove me crazy so I packed my tent and came to Maine with the intention of sailing away at some point. I only moved with that in mind. I pretty much ignored it and that was easy because I hurt most everyday anyways. I knew I needed my Knees replaced but I hate that stuff and kinda wanted to keep what god gave me. I slowed over the years and could not run or jog for quite a while now. A while back I was suffering pretty bad with back pain as I had fallen and bruised my self pretty good. The Doc decided he wanted another scan and they found it had progressed very rapidly in my spine and pretty much everything south of there. I have three different specialty's to see in the next month but my orthopedic surgeon is not giving me much to count on in fact he is telling me to prepare myself. Seems I should have been put on meds when it was first discovered and I kind of missed the window for effective treatment.
My crushing my finger the other day was doing something I had done before many times but I guess I am a lot slower than before. That and I was pushing myself very hard to produce as much as I can while I can. Great recipe for an accident. I should know better.
I have all the support I could ask for right now so no worry's past my concerns not to be a burden on anyone. Being a bit of a hardarse that's going to be the hardest thing for me to overcome. The boat being on hold now is another but I am trying not to think about that right now. It's a wait and see game right now until The Doc's come up with a plan. That's about all I know right now.
Again thanks for all your kindness in this, It means a lot to me . Love you all even if we disagree. Mark

S.V. Airlie
09-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Good response Mark..I may be have been one who let the cat out of the bag but I'm kinda glad I did..It was important to me to do so..Many here do not post what is going on with their own health issues.. Ohers get shot down out of hand and laugh it off when they do.. ..I am glad that some here feel something, and as a friend, I appreciate their comments in your behalf...I'm sure the posts were heartfelt.. Nt questioning that and as a bystander. I who has no fight in this say thanks for Mark..

bobbys
09-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry to hear of this Mark, with all the people wishing others get in a wheelchair i lost track of who is sick and who is not.

Uncle Duke
09-14-2011, 01:35 PM
..I may be have been one who let the cat out of the bag but I'm kinda glad I did..
I think that Mark mentioned it himself a little while ago - he's not shy.
Articulate and honest, though, based on his post above - thanks for the update, Mark.!

S.V. Airlie
09-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I think that Mark mentioned it himself a little while ago - he's not shy.
Articulate and honest, though, based on his post above - thanks for the update, Mark.!That's where he 'wheelchair'comments came from Uncle..

Bill R
09-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Best wishes Mark. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask. You know where to find me.

Nanoose
09-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Blessings on you, Mark.

Memphis Mike
09-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Sorry to hear it Mark. Hang in there and best wishes from Memphis.

ishmael
09-14-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't read everything here. Got some injuries, best wishes.

Durnik
09-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Get a pic of the Ural.. put it on the fridge.. and keep the faith! ;-)

http://www.heloise.com/images/motorcycle_01_large.jpg

Here you go, look at that springer front end! - Good looking woman & a dog, no extra charge.. ;-)

thinking, the slower forms of tai-chi likely do you good.

hoping for the best.. accepting the reality..

and I always recommend a B-complex.. (B-100 or some such) a friend used to call them 'happy pills'.. less feelings of stress is _always_ better..

enjoy
bobby

BrianW
09-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Hope the doctors are wrong! Wouldn't be the first time.

Here's to a complete and speedy recovery...

Bobby of Tulsa
09-14-2011, 07:22 PM
I hope the best for you. The hard part is those that love you. Take care of yourself.

johnw
09-15-2011, 01:09 AM
Mark, my dad missed the window for treating a disease of the bones as well (ankylosing spondylitis,) and was largely crippled for the last decade or so of his life. You're still the same guy when your body changes, keep that in mind, and best wishes to you.

ChaseKenyon
09-15-2011, 01:55 AM
Get a pic of the Ural.. put it on the fridge.. and keep the faith! ;-)

http://www.heloise.com/images/motorcycle_01_large.jpg

Here you go, look at that springer front end! - Good looking woman & a dog, no extra charge.. ;-)

thinking, the slower forms of tai-chi likely do you good.

hoping for the best.. accepting the reality..

and I always recommend a B-complex.. (B-100 or some such) a friend used to call them 'happy pills'.. less feelings of stress is _always_ better..

enjoy
bobby

not a springer front end, closer to and Earls Fork design like the original BMW R90-US model, and the original Honda Dream 150 and 305, one of which I rode in my youth.

In the Honda and the bike above the wheel axle is cantilevered forward of the end of the forks where it has a pivot and rotates around that fork end pivot point. A springer fork system has only the axle at the end of the forks. The forks actually move up and down at the axle by p;voting around the steerng head, some times with shocks as in a modern HD springer and sometimes just a flexible girder fork as in most pre WWI bikes.:D

ChaseKenyon
09-15-2011, 02:03 AM
Mark, my dad missed the window for treating a disease of the bones as well (ankylosing spondylitis,) and was largely crippled for the last decade or so of his life. You're still the same guy when your body changes, keep that in mind, and best wishes to you.

That is what I have John, usually referred to as Degenerative Spondylosis in lay terms. SOC SEC and VA said it will only get worse day by day with no hope. They gave me onset of full disability from 12/12/2006 I was crippled and unable to get out of bed without help for that and following winters.

I have used all my intellect and web talent over the last three years in research and following what ever brainstorms I get and have learned much about spinal degeneration problems. All but a few days a month I get up by myself now. It may take me a while and it is usually 2 or 3 hours sitting and stretching and inversion table before I am fully ambulatory. Still keep my walking stick at all times just for when the back and legs refuse to cooperate in balance functions. I hope I do not loose all this progress over this winter. Progress I have fought for tooth and nail with every breath, and through pain worse than two kidney stones a side (4) at the same time in conjunction with a leaking 45 caliber hole in your back from them taking some of those stones out manually.

I refuse to quit. I will never stop trying. I have had to learn how to walk again from scratch 3 times now. Don't want a fourth. But, BUT, I am determined to fight and recover from AS as I can and never give up hope of getting better no matter how little per day. Two steps forward one step back is still progress no matter how frustrating. One has to push oneself or give up. I do not give up.

DOD loved us enlisted ex academy nomination guys. We did not understand quit. Dirty four letter unspeakable and never never ever spoken in our presence word. So I am not going to quit till they bury me. And probably not then either.

Mark check your PM and call me.

Larks
09-15-2011, 02:28 AM
My very best wishes to you Mark, sounds like some tough times ahead for you old son, good luck and God bless!!

skuthorp
09-15-2011, 02:48 AM
I knew Mark had some serious problems, he's alluded to them occasionally in the past but I did not realise that they were so serious. Take some care Mark, it seems that you have not done that in the past, us blokes reckon we are bulletproof. I hope that the news you get is good and there is something that can be done to at least keep you mobile and comfortable.

George Ray
09-15-2011, 05:27 AM
Hopefully when one door closes another opens,
Best Wishes

Keith Wilson
09-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Very sorry to hear about your medical troubles. It doesn't sound like an easy road. Best wishes, and good luck!

Tom Montgomery
09-15-2011, 07:41 AM
Best wishes, Mark.

Durnik
09-15-2011, 02:34 PM
not a springer front end, closer to and Earls Fork design like the original BMW R90-US model, and the original Honda Dream 150 and 305, one of which I rode in my youth.

In the Honda and the bike above the wheel axle is cantilevered forward of the end of the forks where it has a pivot and rotates around that fork end pivot point. A springer fork system has only the axle at the end of the forks. The forks actually move up and down at the axle by p;voting around the steerng head, some times with shocks as in a modern HD springer and sometimes just a flexible girder fork as in most pre WWI bikes.:D

Yes, technically a 'leading link', but colloquially, a springer (as opposed to telescopic).. Think poetic license.. "check out that leading link front end" lacks a certain.. catchiness, eh?

enjoy
bobby

LeeG
09-15-2011, 04:12 PM
sorry to hear of your pain Mark. The impending doom nature of your posts reflected something real that wasn't coming through in the c&p content or responses. Wishing you the best in whatever comes next.

isla
09-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm afraid I'm too far away to offer any kind of meaningful support, but you have my very best wishes. Take care of yourself!

Garret
09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Mark -

Do & be well. My thoughts are with you & I hope that the docs can do some good. Positive attitude does help - but only so much.

Let me know if I can do anything when I come through Gray (which will be at least monthly this fall & winter).

Garret

johnw
09-15-2011, 05:36 PM
That is what I have John, usually referred to as Degenerative Spondylosis in lay terms. SOC SEC and VA said it will only get worse day by day with no hope. They gave me onset of full disability from 12/12/2006 I was crippled and unable to get out of bed without help for that and following winters.

I have used all my intellect and web talent over the last three years in research and following what ever brainstorms I get and have learned much about spinal degeneration problems. All but a few days a month I get up by myself now. It may take me a while and it is usually 2 or 3 hours sitting and stretching and inversion table before I am fully ambulatory. Still keep my walking stick at all times just for when the back and legs refuse to cooperate in balance functions. I hope I do not loose all this progress over this winter. Progress I have fought for tooth and nail with every breath, and through pain worse than two kidney stones a side (4) at the same time in conjunction with a leaking 45 caliber hole in your back from them taking some of those stones out manually.

I refuse to quit. I will never stop trying. I have had to learn how to walk again from scratch 3 times now. Don't want a fourth. But, BUT, I am determined to fight and recover from AS as I can and never give up hope of getting better no matter how little per day. Two steps forward one step back is still progress no matter how frustrating. One has to push oneself or give up. I do not give up.

DOD loved us enlisted ex academy nomination guys. We did not understand quit. Dirty four letter unspeakable and never never ever spoken in our presence word. So I am not going to quit till they bury me. And probably not then either.

Mark check your PM and call me.Sorry to hear it, Chase, Dad was pretty stoic about it but he was clearly in a lot of pain. I hope you're able to give Mark some pointers.

Hwyl
09-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Anything you need 646 4023. Let me know.

purri
09-15-2011, 07:44 PM
it's "Earles" fork.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't like Mark, but I don't wish any physical problems on him, and I wish him the best in that regard.

I don't discuss my personal issues, medical or otherwise on this forum. I've learned not to.

Lew Barrett
09-15-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm very sorry to read this news and hope for the best for you, Mark. You too, Chase.

The Bigfella
09-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Best wishes Mark. A positive attitude will aid your recovery immeasurably

ChaseKenyon
09-16-2011, 02:39 AM
it's "Earles" fork.

noted:D