Meli
09-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Whistles through a punkin seed of course

Ian McColgin
09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Vigorously when very vexed.

Flying Orca
09-03-2011, 10:08 AM
They use a different sound-producing organ from the primate vocal apparatus; it's called the syrinx, and it's capable of emulating fricatives etc. because it can create much more complex waveforms than our single-note vocal cords.

Peerie Maa
09-03-2011, 10:31 AM
how a parrot, having no lips, can do a bilabial fricative? :D

Joe, FFPoP

I'll be impressed when parrots can spell it correctly. ;)

Arizona Bay
09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Well, having lived with a parrot for 20 years... I can say that V's, L's and F's are difficult sounds to make, so he probably couldn't pronounce "bilabial fricative". :D

At the moment, he's eating bacon, he said "MMMMM"

Durnik
09-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Well, having lived with a parrot for 20 years... I can say that V's, L's and F's are difficult sounds to make, so he probably couldn't pronounce "bilabial fricative". :D At the moment, he's eating bacon, he said "MMMMM"

I can see it now, he's probably sitting there thinking "Dang, I got me a well trained human.. knows how to operate them fancy cooling/heating devices & does it for me.. _This_ is evolution.." ;-)

enjoy
bobby

Garret
09-03-2011, 06:37 PM
They use a different sound-producing organ from the primate vocal apparatus; it's called the syrinx, and it's capable of emulating fricatives etc. because it can create much more complex waveforms than our single-note vocal cords.

I love this forum.

Ray Frechette Jr
09-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Since we are talking about talking parrots and such...

"A burglar broke into a home. He heard a soft voice say,"Jesus is watching you". Thinking it was just his imagination, he continued his search. Again, "Jesus is watching you". He turned his flashlight around & saw a parrot in a cage. He asked the parrot if he was the one talking. The parrot said, "yes". He asked the parrot his name the parrot said, "Moses."The burglar asked, "What kind of people would name a parrot Moses?" Parrot, "The same kind of people who would name their pit bull Jesus"

JMAC
09-03-2011, 08:43 PM
What the frick is a fricative?

Flying Orca
09-03-2011, 08:53 PM
What the frick is a fricative?

linky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fricative_consonant)

(also, GIYF)

AndyG
09-04-2011, 05:09 AM
Ivor Cutler - the late Glasgow poet, songwriter and humourist - had a parrot which was trained to say, to any arriving guests...

"I used to be an egg." |:)

Andy

Durnik
09-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Ivor Cutler - the late Glasgow poet, songwriter and humourist - had a parrot which was trained to say, to any arriving guests...

"I used to be an egg." |:)

Andy

Now, if he'd trained the parrot to say "Ivor used to be an egg.." ;-)

enjoy
bobby

WI-Tom
09-04-2011, 11:33 PM
I knew a woman who accidentally dialled 911; realizing her mistake, she hung up and went about her business. Not much later the police arrived, and were suspicious (of course) about the call. She kept saying everything was fine. "So you're alone?" they asked, getting ready to believe her. "Yes," she said--just as her African Grey said, "Hello? Hello?" from the next room.

Took a while before the police were persuaded to leave--she had to show them the parrot, I think.

Tom