PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why I should give a damn about college football.

Paul Pless
08-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Corruption and ethical dilemmas thoroughly infect Division I football.

The BCS is a farce and those that support it and defend it give absolutely delusional reasons for its existence over a playoff. Its sole reason for existence is due to money.
Poor academic performance and graduation rates for college football players is rivaled only by college basketball.
Division I football makes largely white administrators and coaches rich at the expense of poor minorities who are chewed up and spit out.
Coaches with an overwhelming desire to win often unapologetically and repeatedly recruit and retain athletes that exhibit criminal and violent behavior - endangering the entirety of a generally young and often naive student body.
NCAA rules violations are rampantly exhibited among the top schools. Since just the year 2000, half of the teams that have been awarded the BCS National Championship have been sanctioned by the NCAA for recruiting violations or violations regarding booster support of student athletes.

I think I'm gonna give it up.

CK 17
08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
You shouldn't

Tom Montgomery
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Why should you care about Division I college football?

You've got me.

In my opinion the Ivy League is the example that should be followed by all US colleges and universities: no athletic scholarships.

Let high school athletes without the academic chops sign pro contracts. Force the NFL to create its own developmental leagues.

Keep a distinct line between amateur and professional athletics.

Fat chance, I know.

S.V. Airlie
08-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Why should you care about Division I
college football?

You've got me.

In my opinion the Ivy League is the example that should be followed by all US colleges and universities: no athletic scholarships.So true..Emphasis on brains not brawn.:)

Tom Montgomery
08-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Paul: No reason to give up on college football entirely. Find a nearby Division II or Division III team to follow and support. Attend their games. Lots of fun.

George Jung
08-31-2011, 03:37 PM
You may as well give 'er up; Big Ten has a whole new look/feel to it this year, they've added a championship game.... OSU and Michigan have 'issues' this year.... though Alabama is supposed to be loaded, again. They under investigation? I hadn't heard that.

David G
08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Paul,

You're entirely correct. It's all a big farce. You should pay NO attention to college football. Instead, you should take the amount of time that you'd spend watching, reading about, or posting to WBF about college football and volunteer at the local soup kitchen - or something similar. The world would be a better place. Your world would be a better place. You'd be happier, I bet.

Do you want us to keep you informed as the the goings-on... or will you be going ColdTurkey?

CWSmith
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
I lost interest a long time ago. If you want to see real sportsmen and women, try the club sports like rowing or rugby. Football is a whole in the field into which too many colleges throw money. The NCAA recently published a survey showing that it's a net money loser at most colleges and universities at a time when academics are being cut back for lack of funding.

pefjr
08-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Paul: No reason to give up on college football entirely. Find a nearby Division II or Division III team to follow and support. Attend their games. Lots of fun.The corruption runs deeper than that. It has infected the HS Bishop Gorman Catholic School down the street from me. It has even penetrated the junior leagues of pre teen football. Little League Baseball also. Cheating is everywhere. I don't think you can get away from it.

perldog007
08-31-2011, 04:29 PM
FWIW, a well known ballplayer told me he made 80K per year playing college ball. The man is well past 60 now, was well washed up in '82 so we are talking about circa back in th' day. That was a lot of dough. The alumni association would buy his tickets from him, he had a job answering a phone that never rang, etc, etc, etc. Plus he had a full ride at a prestigious school. He was a defensive end.

Imagine what star quarterbacks get now.

I would name him, but quite confident he could still pound the leftovers out of me today.

Don't much care for any level of football myself. MMA, soccer, and my new favorite - SWAMP PEOPLE - WILLY RULES!!!! Like to see Vick try to work on Cap'n Willies gator boat for a season. That would be worth watching.

wardd
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
tell me why i should give a damn if you give a damn about college football?

pefjr
08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
One of the tricks they pulled out here, in LV when UNLV was a top ten Basketball team was put the players on the valet shift at Caesars or MGM. They only had to retrieve a few select cars, work an hour or two, to pull in 3/400 bucks from the highly selective alumni or coaches friend tippers. "Here son, put this twenty in the kitty and this Benjamin in your pocket, btw, nice game the other night".

Today, the coach's name is plastered all over the city. Streets, schools, parks, libraries, scholarships, churches. At least some of the money filters down and as long as some floats into your hands, you can do the favorite LV exercise, turn your head.

ahp
08-31-2011, 06:22 PM
I graduated from the University of Michigan in 1955. I don't give a hoot about football. BUT, Michigan law specified that earnings from college athletics must be spent only on athletics. The U of M football team made lots of money and supported the minor sports, which might not have had a varsity teams and programs otherwise, and we had walk-on tennis courts all over the place.

George Jung
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Any interests in the dust-up that is/was the Big 12?

What a mess! Not sure how this one ends up:

Former Nebraska and current A&M athletic director Bill Byrne has shed some more insight (http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27300&ATCLID=205264518) on why the Aggies are leaving: It’s ESPN and the Longhorn Network. It reads:You all know the landscape of the Big 12 Conference was altered by the creation of the Longhorn Network. We rebuffed an attempt to televise high school games on the LHN, arguing that this type of activity was a clear violation of NCAA rules. The most recent attempt by ESPN is to take highlights of high school games as part of news segments. The NCAA is taking a wait and see attitude on the highlights. I disagree with their stance – as do many of my colleagues across the country. We anticipate that ESPN will continue to push the envelope with the Longhorn Network, regardless of Texas A&M’s conference affiliation.
The other issue was an attempt to coerce other Big 12 schools to move their football games in Austin to the Longhorn Network. Our understanding from day one was that every conference school would have the rights to one football game a year, and a handful of basketball games, which has been our longstanding agreement in the Big 12.
After all the buildup and false steps in Texas A&M’s eventual departure to the SEC, the march began in earnest Wednesday as A&M president R. Bowen Loftin announced in a letter to the Big 12 (http://www.tamu.edu/athletics/conferenceChange.html) the Aggies’ intention to leave on June 30, 2012.
“After much thought and consideration, and pursuant to the action of the (Texas A&M University System) Board of Regents authorizing me to take action related to Texas A&M University’s athletic conference alignment, I have determined it is in the best interest of Texas A&M to make application to join another athletic conference,” President R. Bowen Loftin wrote to Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe in the letter dated August 31, 2011.
“We appreciate the Big 12′s willingness to engage in a dialogue to end our relationship through a mutually agreeable settlement,” Loftin added. “We, too, desire that this process be as amicable and prompt as possible and result in a resolution of all outstanding issues, including mutual waivers by Texas A&M and the conference on behalf of all the remaining members.”
“As I have indicated throughout this process, we are seeking to generate greater visibility nationwide for Texas A&M and our championship-caliber student-athletes, as well as secure the necessary and stable financial resources to support our athletic and academic programs. This is a 100-year decision that we have addressed carefully and methodically. Texas A&M is an extraordinary institution, and we look forward to what the future may hold for Aggies worldwide.”
You know, I imagine Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe has been certain, for a month now, that this day was coming. But you can bet he read this letter once or twice when he got it. We do that at monumental intervals of lives, even the ones where we’re royally, thoroughly beaten. As Beebe and the Big 12 has been here.
Here are the questions now to ask and debate:

What other school does the SEC court to make 14?
Whom does the Big 12 recruit to its league — and who will say yes?
Does the Big Ten counter the SEC’s expansion and go to 14?
Does the Pac-12 do the same?
Do the remaining members of the Big 12 see the writing on the wall and try to find a new home before the league falls apart?
Does Texas thumb its eye at ESPN’s demands for the Longhorn Network, or does it hope to impose its will on the Big 12, or does it resign itself to independence, which, last year, it absolutely did not want to do?

source: OWH

Keith Wilson
08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Do they play football in college? I hadn't noticed. I thought college was for learning chemistry and history and stuff like that.

B_B
08-31-2011, 09:32 PM
You shouldn't
That's right. Stop investing an ounce of emotion in the TEAMS and start just watching the GAMES.

TEAMS are full of I's, games are full of drama...or if they're not, change the danged channel.

I've never understood the 'root root for the home team' stuff.

B_B
08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
Do they play football in college? I hadn't noticed. I thought college was for learning chemistry and history and stuff like that.
You forgot Basket Weaving and all those other classes Football and Basketball players take to get a 1.0 GPA.

Oh, ok then: :D

Paul Pless
08-31-2011, 09:35 PM
That's right. Stop investing an ounce of emotion in the TEAMS and start just watching the GAMES.

TEAMS are full of I's, games are full of drama...or if they're not, change the danged channel.

I've never understood the 'root root for the home team' stuff.I find myself actually looking forward to the NHL season more and more. . .

hokiefan
08-31-2011, 09:38 PM

I've never understood the 'root root for the home team' stuff.

That is a good theory. And in any game not involving Va Tech that's what I do. Usually I root for the underdog, love to see the upset!

But when my Hokies are playing, I'm a Hokiefan through and through. Can't help it, that's just the way it is when you bleed Orange and Maroon.

Cheers,

Bobby

Y Bar Ranch
08-31-2011, 09:40 PM
It's for giving liberals cushy tenured academic jobs and indoctrinating our gullible youth with leftist propaganda. BY:D

George Jung
08-31-2011, 09:44 PM
It's for giving liberals cushy tenured academic jobs and indoctrinating our gullible youth with leftist propaganda. BY:D

Wilson's beginning to get his bearings now.....

But with the drugs, there's a lot Keith doesn't remember about the 70's.....:p

Vince Brennan
08-31-2011, 10:48 PM
I find myself actually looking forward to the NHL season more and more. . .My eyesight isn't good enough to follow that little puck across the ice. Even with that little blue marker-thingie, I still get confused about such things as "icing" (Feck! Ye're ON the bluidy ice then, innit??) and "high sticking" (why would anybody be 'high' in the game? They've bluidy feckin' great sharp BLADES on their feet, innit!!!
Its like Kendo after a hash party! Using Ginsu knives after ten shots of a good {right, IS there such a thing?} tequila... The mind quails!)

{Hey! Hows that 'Puckie Thingie' workin' out for yez, uffda?)

Last time I got even a little enthusiastic about "mass fights on knife blades ([dis-] Organized Hockey)" was the '80 Olympics... Even a cockroach could'a loved those kids and been as proud as a Papa over the win!}

The NHL?? A bunch of dilettante (Wow: I pride myself on my spelling but I was SO far off on Dilettante! no (censored)? ONE "ell" and two "Tees"! Whoda thunkitt??) warriors whose main occupation seems to be finding who can smile with the fewest teeth [Dang... there IS a similarity between Canada and West Virginia!] and who can drop their gloves and begin whaling (Wahling? Waling? Beating the living {censored} out of?) on their former teammates the fastest with the most blood evident.

Who can forget the Flyer's Bobby Clark in the late 70's with that bloody grin of his? Three teeth, and all of them on the ice somewhere.
Thank God we didn't have to worry about HIV then... they'd probably have insisted on an oral dam for the Zamboni machine had they known!!

I jes' wanna remin's y'all that "hockey" be's sum'p'tin' whut a baby does in h'it's pants, down whar' my chilluns lives. (West Tennessee {clarksville}, that is.)

Look: The upshot of all this drivel {no matter how entertaining I find it...} is that there IS NO SUCH THING AS AN AMATEUR SPORT in the USA anymore. I make so bold as to venture that there has not been a truly amateur (as it is currently {and hypocritically} defined) sport since 1905 ( and possibly not since 1889).

YMMV... I know from experience. Old experience, but lemme tell you: Varsity sports was a Godsend to this poor little iggerant Catholic kid.

Damn! Those Alumni knew some FINE ladies!

rbgarr
09-01-2011, 07:50 AM
If you like dogfighting it would be a natural progression: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell

Garret
09-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Yes, I saw the smiley, but where have you found liberals in a football locker room? In my experience, the athletic dept. in most schools is about as far right as one can find.

Y Bar Ranch
09-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Yes, I saw the smiley, but where have you found liberals in a football locker room?
They're busy mixing Keith's chemicals into psychotropic drugs.

Garret
09-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Ah - so the program can make even more money. Got it....

S.V. Airlie
09-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Yes, I saw the smiley, but where have you found liberals in a football locker room? In my experience, the athletic dept. in most schools is about as far right as one can find.That' how they fit comfortably in the locker room. There are not many of them on most campuses.:)

Y Bar Ranch
09-01-2011, 09:31 AM
Ah - so the program can make even more money. Got it....
I probably should have said steroids and human growth hormone.

CWSmith
09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
If you want to see the real cost of football programs at any school, check out the following link:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ncaa-finances.htm

Michigan does very well and sports seem to support themselves. Not so at many schools where the university and the students are heavily taxed to support "big-time" sports. I wouldn't care if academic programs weren't being killed as a result of tight budgets, but they are.

pefjr
09-01-2011, 11:23 AM
Our Gov't trying to punish the cheating in sports is also a failure. The record book still reflects Bonds as the homer king. Might be good for the legal profession, as it keeps a lot of lawyers and clerks employed but punishes the tax-payer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Am_j9CKjG216ghX3dPsm34cRvLYF?slug=ap-bonds-steroids