PDA

View Full Version : New boat that I will not finish

donald branscom
08-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I will not be finishing the new boat i built.
It is a 19 ft. Sailboat built with marine ply on Doug fir frames.
It is a DN Goodchild design. "19ft.cruising sailboat" on DNgoodchild web site.

Just needs rigging and sails.
Trailer goes with it.

PM me if you are interested.

Do a thread title search for 19ft. sail boat and Honda inboard on this forum.
You can see photos and read about it.

I can send complete photos if you are interested.
Very reasonable price and it is all new materials.

StevenBauer
08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Bummer. I hope the new owner promises to take you out on her. Such a cool project. Steven

donald branscom
08-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Bummer. I hope the new owner promises to take you out on her. Such a cool project. Steven

Thanks Steven.

John B
08-29-2011, 05:24 PM
Sorry to hear that Donald.

StevenBauer
08-29-2011, 07:26 PM
More about Don's build here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?132171

And lots more details on Don's other threads: http://forum.woodenboat.com/search.php?searchid=1397213

Steven

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-29-2011, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear it Don... hope everything is all right.

donald branscom
08-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Everything is alright but It is taking too long. I am loosing interest.
I am getting too old too.
I do not like to see it sit and it needs sails and rigging, and I have no money for that.
There is no money for anything right now and for the forseeable future.
I want to pay off my wife's car or get my truck brakes repaired. They need the rotors turned.

But the boat is inside the garage and is in perfect shape.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2wreyvm.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/j65sg3.jpg

Peter Malcolm Jardine
08-29-2011, 08:03 PM
I hear you. This summer seems to be the summer of no time, not enough money, and too many things to fix. The age thing.. ahh well don't get me started.

Sorry to hear it... but you're a resilient feller... don't lead with your chin.

landlocked sailor
08-29-2011, 10:03 PM
I too have a number of boats (that I have finished) FOR SALE! You are violating forum rules here and ought to delete this post. Rick

hokiefan
08-29-2011, 11:12 PM
I too have a number of boats (that I have finished) FOR SALE! You are violating forum rules here and ought to delete this post. Rick

I think he'll get away with this one for oh so many reasons...

Cheers,

Bobby

George Ray
08-30-2011, 08:20 AM
There is no money for anything right now and for the forseeable future.
Some sad comfort in knowing that we are not the only people who's economic landscape had shifted out from under their feet.
signed,
Misery Likes Company

floatingkiwi
08-31-2011, 05:22 PM
If you are patient, someone close to you, whom you didn't suspect, may take this boat and do justice to her, and you will still be able to sail her.

orbb
08-31-2011, 06:13 PM

When I first read this thread, I did not read it as a "for sale" ad, but rather a request for help. I don't see that as violating forum rules; in fact, it's why the forum exists - so that we could help each other. Hopefully someone will be in a position to.

Paul Pless
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Goodluck Donald. I spent a lot of enjoyable time reading your updates to building this boat. Hope she finds a good home.

Lewisboater
08-31-2011, 08:36 PM

He has ONE boat which he is trying to find a good home for and not attempting to profit from as far as I can see...No foul here!

andrewe
09-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Sorry to hear that Donald, I was looking forward to the tests on the engine. Hope it finds a home close by and you get some time on her.
A

BrianM
09-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Hi Donald,

It appears you can make anything if you set your mind to it. San Rafael Yacht Harbor saws up roughly a boat a week. Somebody is walking away with free sails on a regular basis. Rigging wire gets thrown away along with all the hardware and masts (if they are damaged).

If you truly have lost all interest, I understand, but if it sheerly a question of spare change, there's plenty of free stuff if you time it right. I'm down there 3 times a week. PM me if you want to pursue it, and give me the measurements of the sails. I'll go bug Matt Butler (Harbormaster). I also am friends with one of the most accomplished packrats there and he has EVERYTHING, much of which he will give away, or trade for beer.
Don't give up (if you don't want to).

Brian

philcostello
09-01-2011, 09:58 PM
Donald, you have helped so many people. I hope your alright and thanks!

floatingkiwi
09-02-2011, 04:49 AM
Hi Donald,

It appears you can make anything if you set your mind to it. San Rafael Yacht Harbor saws up roughly a boat a week. Somebody is walking away with free sails on a regular basis. Rigging wire gets thrown away along with all the hardware and masts (if they are damaged).
If you truly have lost all interest, I understand, but if it sheerly a question of spare change, there's plenty of free stuff if you time it right. I'm down there 3 times a week. PM me if you want to pursue it, and give me the measurements of the sails. I'll go bug Matt Butler (Harbormaster). I also am friends with one of the most accomplished packrats there and he has EVERYTHING, much of which he will give away, or trade for beer.
Don't give up (if you don't want to).

Brian

+another guy with a bunch of stuff lyin' around. How long is this boat? I got all kinds of sails from new Bearboat and IOD mains and genoa, spinnakers etc.
Landlocked Sailor. I am not selling these.

epoxyboy
09-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear that Donald, I was looking forward to the tests on the engine. A

+1

Best of luck.

Pete

Bob Cleek
09-05-2011, 07:24 PM
I also am friends with one of the most accomplished packrats there and he has EVERYTHING, much of which he will give away, or trade for beer.
Brian

You talkin' about me? If not, my wife says to keep me away from this guy! LOL

PS: Brian's right about the serious scrounging that can be done at the knacker's yards! (Which is where much of my "stash" came from.)

BrianM
09-05-2011, 09:21 PM
You talkin' about me? If not, my wife says to keep me away from this guy! LOL

PS: Brian's right about the serious scrounging that can be done at the knacker's yards! (Which is where much of my "stash" came from.)

The harbormaster declared this week a "cleanup" week, so everything must go!

Oh and aside from Bob's predicament, SanRafael Yacht Harbor is supposed to clean up their act too!

I continue to Appreciate that I have a picky landlord so can't accumulate much, and I no longer own a pickup truck, otherwise Donald, I'd probably have all the sails and hardware you needed sitting in my backyard.

Seriously, I once scrounged the mainsail from a 25' thunderbird in pretty good shape. It might be perfect for your boat and you are welcome to have it.

skaraborgcraft
09-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Thats sad Donald. Understand the financial stuff,but hopefully with some help you will be able to at least get her rigged and sailed at least once......good luck with it.

NomadRip
09-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Beautiful boat. Wish I was closer. I hope you find a good solution to your situation.

sailcanoefan
07-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Hi Donald, if the boat is not already sold, I think the best to do is: Finish your boat and try it and sail it on water. It will be much easier to sell in that way. Otherwise you can't blame anyone to be suspicious about a boat that never went on water.

Who knows then....you'll probably find a new ''life'' and decide to keep it for you.

A friend, Réal

David G
07-06-2013, 01:54 AM
I just drove from Oregon to Napa Valley California to pick up a partially-complete boat. The owner, whose husband passed away before he could finish it, tried first to sell it - with no takers. She ended up paying my gas to come fetch it, because another boatbuilder recommended me as someone who could finish it off, and who was looking for a boat of that type. I'd have gladly paid her something for it... if I had it. I'm going to be stretching the limits of my creativity, scrounging, begging, and contacts list to complete another personal boat project after my little dance with cancer left my purse flatter than a roadkill possum.

I hope you have better luck realizing some return on your investment.

Bob Cleek
07-06-2013, 12:40 PM

Come on, give it a rest. H's not looking to make money on this deal, quite clearly. He hasn't said he's selling the boat or stated any price. He's just giving his friends on the forum first shot to perhaps pick up a beautiful boat before the riff-raff gets a shot at it.

Dave Gray
07-06-2013, 01:16 PM
You guys do realize this thread was started nearly two years ago?

David G
07-06-2013, 01:40 PM
No... I failed to notice. I often do when an old thread gets bumped.

Dave Gray
07-06-2013, 02:33 PM
I hope things get better for you, David!