PDA

View Full Version : Obama’s Illegal Assaults - How once-controversial ‘war on terror’ tactics became the

Tylerdurden
08-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Obama’s Illegal Assaults - How once-controversial ‘war on terror’ tactics became the new normal (http://www.activistpost.com/2011/08/obamas-illegal-assaults-how-once.html)
What now gives Americans nationalistic purpose is our ability to hunt someone down and riddle their skull with bullets and dump their corpse into the ocean.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X8Z-CUWwe2I/TlecD4WFLnI/AAAAAAAAKsk/uF5_pKcNyVY/s320/DEES+-+Obama+Sworn+In.jpg (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X8Z-CUWwe2I/TlecD4WFLnI/AAAAAAAAKsk/uF5_pKcNyVY/s1600/DEES+-+Obama+Sworn+In.jpg)

Dees Illustration (http://www.sl-webs.com/deesillustration/artwork.asp?item=153&cat=politics)

Glenn Greenwald
In These Times (http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/11787/obamas_illegal_assaults)

Barack Obama has continued virtually all of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney’s once-controversial terrorism and civil liberties policies, a fact now recognized across the political spectrum. Even the right wing acknowledges these policies have continued under the Obama presidency, which is interesting, because for decades Republicans have made political hay by accusing Democrats of being weak on national security (or “soft on terrorism” in this age of terror).

For example, Jack Goldsmith, a right-wing ideologue and a high-ranking Justice Department official in George W. Bush’s first term—when “enhanced interrogation techniques” (what the civilized world calls “torture”) were frequently employed—has criticized Dick Cheney’s daughter and Irving Crystal’s son for claiming that Obama has abandoned these policies. In a 2009 article for The New Republic, he writes:

This premise that the Obama administration has reversed the terror policies is wrong. The new administration has copied most of the Bush program, has expanded some of it and has narrowed only a bit. All of the Obama changes have been at the level of packaging, argumentation, symbol and rhetoric.The first area where we see this is true is in indefinite detention—the idea that human beings can be caged for years without an opportunity to defend themselves or contest the validity of the charges against them (if they are lucky enough even to be charged). The president’s plan for “closing” Guantanamo was not really to close Guantanamo at all. It was simply to move it 2,000 miles north to Illinois, where the controversial aspects of it—namely, imprisoning people for life without due process—were going to be fully preserved and retained.

Another policy that Obama has continued, and actually worsened, is the idea that habeas corpus, the most minimal right a prisoner can have, isn’t guaranteed under the constitution. In 2008, the Supreme Court actually ruled in Boumediene v. Bush that prisoners at Guantanamo do have the right to habeas corpus. But—despite the horrendous record of imprisoning people without due process, including the obviously innocent—the Obama administration took the position that habeas corpus applies only to prisoners in Guantanamo, not anywhere else that the United States imprisons people, such as at Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan. The administration has thus far won in court with this argument, meaning that it has won the right to circumvent the Supreme Court decision by simply not bringing prisoners to Guantanamo. Instead, it simply imprisons them in Afghanistan or Iraq.

Tall Boy
08-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Cowboy???

RonW
08-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Rumor has it that obama is taking orders from chenney on the illegal invasion of libya......

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
08-26-2011, 06:24 PM
You're wasting C&P space, Tyler.

I've told these guys about the continuing torture and rendition a few times. I've provided citations from mainstream sources that ran on the back page for a day and were forgotten. I included the 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows on each one.

The judges are blind.

Within a week of making the argument, followed by the sound of crickets, some cheerleader inevitably posts on a different thread: "Waddaya mean Obama hasn't done anything!?!!1??? HE ENDED TORTURE POLICIES!!!!111!!!

I just wish the pansies would wise up, see that this is a good thing, and let their guy take the credit for it. You just can't keep foreigners locked in cages without charges indefinitely and expect good outcomes. You've got to subject them to extreme temperature changes, stress positions, and sleep deprivation before it works like it's supposed to. Once in a while, you've got to break a rib or two as well. Obama's like Jack Bauer's boss only cooler 'cuz he plays basketball and body-surfs.

Gerarddm
08-26-2011, 07:22 PM
I wrote Obama's people and told them that unless he moves decisively to gut the so-called Patriot Act, then they can expect zero money from me this cycle.

Tylerdurden
08-27-2011, 07:30 AM
I wrote Obama's people and told them that unless he moves decisively to gut the so-called Patriot Act, then they can expect zero money from me this cycle.

That will fix it for sure...:)

Gerarddm
08-27-2011, 09:47 AM
No, but you gotta start someplace. Money talks, nobody walks.

ccmanuals
08-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Hmm, didn't he end warrant less wiretapping and torture, the hallmark of the Bush/Cheny war on terror?

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
08-27-2011, 10:28 AM
That will fix it for sure...:)

To be fair, if he convinces a million or two of his closest friends to do the same, it could prompt a change.

Dr. Arthur Trollingson
08-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Hmm, didn't he end warrant less wiretapping and torture, the hallmark of the Bush/Cheny war on terror?

On the off chance you're being serious, or if someone reading this believes that, here are some Google search term's I'd recommend:

Wyden, Patriot Act

Obama, torture

Baghram black site

Obama, torture loopholes