PDA

View Full Version : I Entered Three Of My Wines Into Alaska State Fair's Berry Division....

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 02:35 AM
...and here are the results :):Dhttp://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/73cfaad6.jpghttp://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/b8b3e5dd.jpghttp://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Spin_Drift/2df30aa0.jpg

AussieBarney
08-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Not that you're boasting or nuffing, But that is a splendid result. I wish I was there to make sure that it had not sploit in the bottle. Congratulations from Sue and I.

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks Barney and Sue. This was the first time EVER that I have entered any of my wines to be judged anywhere. I'm pretty stoked-up ! :D :D:D

ChaseKenyon
08-26-2011, 03:32 AM
you go girl, kick their buts !!!!!!!!:D:D

If you are really nice to me I will share my recipes
1) for a Killer "double IPA" about 8.4% and ..........................................

2) My specialty Official (200 year old sorta recipe) "Scottish Imperial Ale" made for th sone of Lairds who were building and running the Tsars Navy for Hundreds of years.
Custom roasted and hand cracked with a marble rolling pin, ( regular one for pastry will work fine) and Honey. You have to finish it in secondary fermentation with yeast booster or champagne yeast as required. It runs 12.9% to 14.2 % depending on batch.
On the last one My wife confiscates everyone's car keys before they can have any ........LOL:cool::cool:

I would hope I could get some good wine recipes in exchange my dear lady.;);)

P.S. When are you on the Air next? I have some blues to send you. Do you like Jazz as well?

skuthorp
08-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Way to go Spinner!:D:D

Concordia...41
08-26-2011, 03:57 AM
Congrats! Can we see the lables?

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 03:59 AM
you go girl, kick their buts !!!!!!!!:D:DIf you are really nice to me I will share my recipes 1) for a Killer "double IPA" about 8.4% and ..........................................2) My specialty Official (200 year old sorta recipe) "Scottish Imperial Ale" made for th sone of Lairds who were building and running the Tsars Navy for Hundreds of years. Custom roasted and hand cracked with a marble rolling pin, ( regular one for pastry will work fine) and Honey. You have to finish it in secondary fermentation with yeast booster or champagne yeast as required. It runs 12.9% to 14.2 % depending on batch.On the last one My wife confiscates everyone's car keys before they can have any ........LOL:cool: I would hope I could get some good wine recipes in exchange my dear lady.;)P.S. When are you on the Air next? I have some blues to send you. Do you like Jazz as well?Thanks :D. It's nice to hear you like to make mead and wine. They are a pleasure to make and a pleasure to sip :) I'm on the air this Saturday the 27th, from 2106 to 2400 Alaska time. You find it on internet by googling KBBI 890AM, Homer. Yes I like Jazz too and play some Jazzy/Bluesy (fusion) combination stuff like Michelle Willson, Blusiana Hot Sauce etc.. it's very kind of you to send me some music. I look forward to playing some of it on the air.... I'll PM my mailing address to you. Thanks again.

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Congrats! Can we see the lables?Yes, you can see the lables. The bottles are at the State Fair for a week or so. I have the same bottles in a larger size I can take pictures of their lables and maybe post them tomorrow, after I have produced my Saturday's radio show. :) First place is my Raspberry wine. Second place is my Strawberry and third is my Blueberry. :):D

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 04:10 AM
Way to go Spinner!:D:D thanks:) :D

elf
08-26-2011, 05:37 AM
It's always a pleasure to win a blue ribbon at the State Fair. Congrats!

Nanoose
08-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Well done! :D
Now....did they know those wines weren't from Alaska?! :eek: ;) , or did that matter?

Tylerdurden
08-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Congrats. Your one special person in so many ways.

Bruce Hooke
08-26-2011, 07:57 AM
Wow. Amazing! Well done!

S.V. Airlie
08-26-2011, 08:20 AM
Spin..Congrats...A job well done..I'm not sure about the blueberry wine though. I prefer an IPA without the fruity blueberry taste to it. Regardless, my hat is off to you..

Uncle Duke
08-26-2011, 09:28 AM
A trifecta? Well done and well deserved.... big congratulations from here, you deserve to feel good about this for as long as you like!

Canoez
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Congratulations! When do you open your winery? :d

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:01 AM
It's always a pleasure to win a blue ribbon at the State Fair. Congrats! Thanks Lady Elf. It was such a nice surprise to get all three ribbons in berry wine category. I was told there was about 200 wine enteries. I don't know how many of them were in berry category. They said, it's very unusual that someone entering for the first time, gets three ribbons.....lol...;):)

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Well done! :DNow....did they know those wines weren't from Alaska?! :eek: ;) , or did that matter? These wines are Alaskan wines! I made them here after I got back from Finland...:) I had to leave my 451 bottle wine-cellar in Finland. :(

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Congrats. Your one special person in so many ways.Thanks Mark :):D

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow. Amazing! Well done! Thanks Bruce. People have always liked my wines but I've never entered into any competitions or judging and I was hesitant to do it. Now I'm so happy I did... Sorry, I can't stop grinning.....:D

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Spin..Congrats...A job well done..I'm not sure about the blueberry wine though. I prefer an IPA without the fruity blueberry taste to it. Regardless, my hat is off to you.. Thanks Jamie. :)

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
A trifecta? Well done and well deserved.... big congratulations from here, you deserve to feel good about this for as long as you like!:):D:D.... Thanks...

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Congratulations! When do you open your winery? :dThanks, no plans to open one. It would be a wonderful dream but how would I get financing for one?

Katherine
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Great job Spin! I currently have a 6 gallon carboy full of strawberry wine that I started about two months ago. I drew off my first sample last night. It needs more aging and a little tweaking, but should be wonderful in about 6 months to a year. I started a vat of blueberry/grape just the other day and the fermentation is just getting started on that one. In the next few weeks, I'll be starting a rasberry, then a peach, then and apple, then a cherry . . . my goal is to start one batch a month. Eventually I want to have my own brand. Paul thinks I'm nuts, lol.

bobbys
08-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Yikes, a woman that's purty, smart and very nice, sails around,, likes the North country, Is Finnish,A New York Mets Fan, likes hot jazz and now makes award winning wine?.

Your hubby may well have the poifect woman!.

OK I threw in the Mets thing...

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Great job Spin! I currently have a 6 gallon carboy full of strawberry wine that I started about two months ago. I drew off my first sample last night. It needs more aging and a little tweaking, but should be wonderful in about 6 months to a year. I started a vat of blueberry/grape just the other day and the fermentation is just getting started on that one. In the next few weeks, I'll be starting a rasberry, then a peach, then and apple, then a cherry . . . my goal is to start one batch a month. Eventually I want to have my own brand. Paul thinks I'm nuts, lol.Thanks Katherine. You are my kind of nut.:):D So happy to see you're making a lot of wines. I have a few pieces of advice: choose the finest quality ingredients. Be patient and age it well (I take about a year before bottling). Rack it several times for clarity and sterilize all your tools right before and right after using them...I'd love to taste some of your wines. I bet they are delicious. :D ....and Paul, you don't know how lucky you are. Dang, -you got a beautiful, loving wife and SHE MAKES WINE too....

Canoez
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks, no plans to open one. It would be a wonderful dream but how would I get financing for one?

Actually, you could consider doing what a local bakery did for fundraising. They sold bread "futures" to finance the installation of the ovens and equipment needed to open the business. These futures entitled the investors to a fairly hefty discount on loaves of bread with punch-cards to keep track of the amount of discounted bread that they were entitled to. They were very successful raising the capital needed to open. The initial investment has been repaid and now they have grown to the point where they need to expand.

How are they capitalizing their expansion?

You guessed it - more bread futures. They sold out of bread futures in a period of 1 month - 2 months ahead of their capitalizing schedule. The advantage of this method is that they didn't have to involve a bank and pay interest on the borrowed capital. Was a win-win for both customers and the owners.

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Yikes, a woman that's purty, smart and very nice, sails around,, likes the North country, Is Finnish,A New York Mets Fan, likes hot jazz and now makes award winning wine?. Your hubby may well have the poifect woman!. OK I threw in the Mets thing... Gosh... Thanks :D... I'm blushing with all that praise. Thanks again. :)

B_B
08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Congrats!

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Actually, you could consider doing what a local bakery did for fundraising. They sold bread "futures" to finance the installation of the ovens and equipment needed to open the business. These futures entitled the investors to a fairly hefty discount on loaves of bread with punch-cards to keep track of the amount of discounted bread that they were entitled to. They were very successful raising the capital needed to open. The initial investment has been repaid and now they have grown to the point where they need to expand. How are they capitalizing their expansion? You guessed it - more bread futures. They sold out of bread futures in a period of 1 month - 2 months ahead of their capitalizing schedule. The advantage of this method is that they didn't have to involve a bank and pay interest on the borrowed capital. Was a win-win for both customers and the owners.Wow, thanks foe the tip. I've never heard of this..... Winery building and equipment runs into HUGE amount of money. Properties are REALLY expensive in this town. I would like to know more details, please...

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 11:06 AM
Congrats!Thanks :)

wardd
08-26-2011, 12:41 PM
send us all 3 bottles and let us judge for ourselves

htom
08-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Yea Spin! It's always good to have what you've done appreciated by someone else.

ccmanuals
08-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Nice. Now you will want to add to the lable a small ribbon with words to the effect, "Alaska State Fair First Prize"

Glen Longino
08-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Good job, Spinner.
I'm darn proud of you!

isla
08-26-2011, 02:07 PM
A very fine achievement, congratulations Y>

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
send us all 3 bottles and let us judge for ourselvesLol, are you a wine lover? :)

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 02:14 PM
WINE & SPIRITS SCORE SHEET JUDGE PANEL # ____________________________ ENTRY NUMBER *___________________ DESCRIPTORS ASTRINGENT puckering, aftertaste, drys the mouth SPECIAL INGREDIENTS _______________________________ ACIDIC *sour flavor/aroma BOUQUET/AROMA *expression of fruit or flavor, nose content * * * * * */10________________________________________________ ___ ALCOHOLIC *aroma, flavor and distinct warming __________________________________________________ _ CHEMICAL *vitamin, nutrient or chemical taste APPEARANCE * clear, cloudy, floaters, viscosity * * * * * */10________________________________________________ ___ FLORAL aroma of flower blossoms or perfume __________________________________________________ _ __________________________________________________ _ ESTERY *aroma or flavor of fruits,flowers, flavorings FLAVOR/TASTE *acidity, body of taste and after taste, complex? * * * * * */10HARSH causing biting or stinging sensation in mouth __________________________________________________ _ __________________________________________________ _ METALLIC tinny, copper, iron or blood like flavor __________________________________________________ _ MUSTY stale musty, mold aroma or flavor MATURITY *do flavors blend and complement or compete * * * * * */10________________________________________________ ___ OXIDIZED *any of winy, paper or sherry like aroma __________________________________________________ _ PHENOLIC spicy, smokey, band-aid or medicinal OVERALL IMPRESSION *would you pay money? want recipe? * * * * * */10________________________________________________ ___ SOLVENT *paint thinner, cleaner __________________________________________________ _ __________________________________________________ _ SWEET taste associated with sugar or honey to much is * * * * * * *syrupy or cloying * * * * * */50OTHER COMMENTS SULFUR *rotted egg or burned matches __________________________________________________ _ __________________________________________________ _ VEGETAL *cabbage, brussel sprouts or burned veg __________________________________________________ _ __________________________________________________ _ YEASTY *bread like, yeast culture

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 02:30 PM
I would like to give a lot of credit to my HUSBAND David. About 11-12 years ago he taught me how to make wine. He is my taster and he likes that job...LOL.... ;) He urged me to enter the wines into the State Fair..... Thanks Darling:):D

Spin_Drift
08-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Yea Spin! It's always good to have what you've done appreciated by someone else. Thanks, it's a great validation. :)

George Ray
08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
Great news......congrats

Katherine
08-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Anyone have a recipe for coffee wine?

Tracey
08-26-2011, 08:26 PM
oh, Bravo!! May I ask: whatever happened to all the wine left to be shipped from Finland?
What a small treasure you had to leave behind!

And may I ask, again, would you consider doing a short video to show us the process? I just think this would be so interesting :cool:.

Mrleft8
08-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Coffee Wine?.... Sure. Just imagine Fran Drescher saying; "Oi! I need a mocha double latte down here! hey!? you hear me? I'm dying over here!"....:D
Congratulations Spinny!