View Full Version : Steve Jobs Resigns as Apple CEO

08-24-2011, 05:50 PM
To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:

I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.

I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.

As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.

I believe Apple’s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.

I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

08-24-2011, 05:53 PM
He must be pretty ill. Poor guy.

Nicholas Carey
08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Apple's stock dropped 7% in after-hours trading...then they stopped trading Apple shares.

08-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Best wishes for Steve Jobs. I hope this doesn't mean that Apple falls apart.

Ted Hoppe
08-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Lawrence Rockerfeller once told me after coming home from an Apple board meeting, "My father was afraid at the end of his life he was going to face God. Ted, things are certainly different now. Steve Jobs believes he is a god."

Apple and Jobs are intertwined. He is the poster child of EST life programming while providing three generations with easy to use simplified computer systems and designer "artistic tools" for children of the me generation. It is not by coincidence Jobs chose the iconic Apple as his company name (a reference to the Beatles tour de force dominance nearly a decade prior). Jobs should be considered the quintessential post modern American success story... His life reflects something different as Jobs seriously disassociated himself from traditional americanized philanthropic activities as he never broke from the self serving Werner Erhard training and his lost post 60's Buddhist philosophy. Regardless of his own philosophy, Jobs and his Apple marketing team chose to promote the best humanistic icons in their own Apple marketing without taking the steps to secure a better world instead of a world of personal consumerism. His push of personal electronic consumerism fueled the fires recent technical invention based on the Motorola and Intel low wattage chip technologies which he turned a RIM styled cell phone into a music-communication-camera-walkman device. Jobs continues to shows us how we americans are caught in our own legends... we no longer build things but we sure know how to market other peoples goods under a recognizable American branding and the "Porsche" influenced gotta have status symbols. Maybe Jobs knows more than most how to market to a generation of MTV watchers 30 years in the making. Now the future of Apple is now uncertain...The new iphone 5 and next ipad 2 tablet will be only G3 rather than the G4 of Apple's competitor. The Apps store is the engine of technological power for a whole new set of innovations and content controls to which gives our new hand held devices the functionality and fun. This heavily controlled Apple system is becoming something not even Jobs can manage... it is truly a strange new world whether Jobs is around or not.

bob winter
08-25-2011, 06:34 AM
As far as I am concerned, Jobs saved Apple from a mess that it got itself into when he left the first time. Hope the new CEO is up to the job.

08-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Whether the new computing paradigm which Jobs is in the process of bringing about will be the winning one is still an open question. It's liabilities are beginning to appear, especially to those who expect to be able to use their personal computers with the flexibility they've come to expect up to now from Apple.

It may be a good thing that Jobs is stepping slightly sideways at this point, especially if Lion turns out to be the dud many Apple users believe it to be.

It will be a good thing if Jobs is actually on track to die in the next 8 months.

08-25-2011, 07:05 AM
Most people with terminal cancers get plenty of lead time to arrange their affairs. I suspect this is what's going on here. No use beating around the bush about it, Donn.