View Full Version : balanced budget amendment question

John Smith
08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Once again this concept is getting discussion, but, as usual, it doesn't get any in depth discussion, so I've got a question.

How would the mechanics of such an amendment actually work?

Let's say a large storm levels large sections of three states. Under such an amendment would congress have to offset any money needed to help by cutting spending elsewhere or raising taxes? Would our congress be capable of doing this? Would specified cuts/tax increases be in the amendment?

How would such an amendment have impacted Bush's years? Or Reagan's?

Paul Pless
08-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Didn't you just ask these same exact questions the other day?

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Didn't you just ask these same exact questions the other day?

That was me.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/icons/icon1.png Re: Food for thought; balanced budget amendment
Amending the US Constitution is a complecated process and usually takes considerable time. I doubt anyone has the secret to ramming such a thing thru'. It can be talked to death, amended to death and just plain stalled.
It's also a ridiculous idea. Does anyone really believe a US city ravaged by flood, hurricane or earthquake would be left to rot because it would unbalance the federal budget? "

A New York Times article said in a normal year 4 $1 billion or more catastrophies occure. This year there were 9 already (and this hurricane may be the 10th). There were also 9 in 2008.

Paul Pless
08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
That was me.No. . . . . .as ornery and liberal an old cuss that you are, you tend to be pretty erudite and straightforward, and you dispense with ad nauseam topical threads beloved by a certain class of politico bilge rat.

Cuyahoga Chuck
08-23-2011, 09:29 PM
It's difficult to be old and after a long time on this earth to still be liberal. I work at it so I don't let the years wear me down and become a sourpuss conservative.

08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
...the correct answer is the same as it was the last time: it's a dumb idea, grounded in theory and not reality.