PDA

View Full Version : deck paint?

Dan Payne
08-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Hey Y'all...I've been using Interlux Brightsides on my fiberglass over plywood deck, It's worked fine, but why am I spending over $100 a gallon on a deck paint. Any better product choice? Thanks, dp

wizbang 13
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
There are many economical and durable alternatives.
The problem is usually a sacrifice in cosmetics.
How big are your decks? A gallon of deck paint will go 5 years on my 34'er.

John P Lebens
08-16-2011, 10:26 AM
I know of a really great paint for more than $120 a gallon if you want to spend even more ;-).

Compared with the cost of labor and the potential for better appearance and durability, even really expensive paint is cheap.

My main problem with Brightsides is it seems to take too many coats to really cover well.

Bob Cleek
08-17-2011, 12:44 AM
You're probably spending that for deck paint because you're buying paint with a boat on the can from some chain-store chandlery like WasteMarine. Even George Kirby's paint, which is finestkind, is only $75.00 a gallon if you don't mind ordering mail order. http://kirbypaint.com/prices.php Not that Interlux isn't decent paint, but it's overpriced for a lot of boat uses. Consider Rustoleum alkyd enamel. Probably less than $50 a gallon. Or Ben Moore "porch enamel." Cheaper still. Properly conditioned with a bit of Penetrol and proper thinning, prep and application, you'd be hard put to tell the difference between Interlux and Rustoleum. A good paint job is maybe 90% due to the painter and 10% due to the paint.

JimConlin
08-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Brightsides is a singularly poor choice for decks. It has very high gloss (initially) and it doesn't weather very well.
Depending on the budget and the boat, an ordinary alkyd porch&deck enamel or the full monte system of epoxy primer and LPU topcoat with nonskid would be both be OK.

Dan Payne
08-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Okay Bob, I have a quart of Rustoleum. I'm starting with that.

John, you're exactly right. I need 4 coats of I'lux to get decent coverage.

Tom Lathrop
08-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Even at my local hardware, Rustoleum is only $9.95/qt and I find it much more durable than Brightsides at nearly $30/qt. Not as glossy or quite as smoothe, but don't want a shiny deck anyway. For tough decks, I use Devoe 4508 industrial epoxy from Glidden/Devoe/ICI at $60 for a 2 gal set. Wears like iron and I roll it on with a small short knap roller to get a slightly pebbly effect. I also use it on open boat interiors that will be stored under cover where it gets good aesthetic reviews from others. Chalks some though so you need to allow for that if you leave the boat in the sun.

Jay Greer
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Cheap oil based exterior semi gloss house paint, if you can find it, is what I use on decks. The paint is designed to be "self polishing" and so is constantly presenting a new surface with each scrubbing. In this manner, filling of the grain of the deck canvas is avoided and sanding is not needed when it is time to recoat.
Jay