PDA

View Full Version : Nylon? Nails

v10builder1
08-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I just finished re-reading Dynamite Payson's book "Building the New Instant Boats"; I am getting ideas. As you know, he was a fan of nailing together the parts and then applying resins and fiberglass.

I have a DeWalt D51238 2" compressed air powered brad nailer that is a pleasure to use, and I was wondering if anyone has found/used a non-metallic (preferred) or a copper/aluminum/SS 18 GA strip nail in a small nailer like the DeWalt.

There are (expensive) nailer/fastener systems that show on the Web, but I need to use what tools I already have and just buy the fasteners.

This brad nailer will drive 18 GA steel nails from 1/2" through 2", and yes, I did drive one into my thumb, but only one, and I did not bleed on the work too bad.

Thanks.

Joe

David G
08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Joe,

You can buy stainless steel or monel brads to fit your gun.

The nylon brads are - supposedly - a different story. Raptor - the brand I know of that makes them - says you can only shoot them thru their proprietary guns. Not knowing that, I bought some years ago, and shot them thru my Senco brad gun. No problems at all. It's only one persons experience, and it contradicts what the manufacturer says... but you might try it. As I recall the nylon ones were cheaper than the ss, and way cheaper than the monel.

outofthenorm
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Get in touch with the folks at Duckworks. Their site says that Raptor recommends a certain gun, but doesn't make it sound exclusive. Duckworks are good folks. They'll give you the straight dope.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/tools/raptor.htm

CundysHarbor
08-12-2011, 07:47 PM
I have driven 3000 raptor nails using a palm nailer (predrilled) into 1x1/2 white cedar. They worked very nicely for joining strips on my White 23 sloop. The reason for using plastic and not bronze nails was the inevitable nail through the plank problem. The plastic nails sand beautifully and are reputed to take paint well also. I will be using raptor staples to attach the veneer layers also. Here, the benefit is not having to pull the nails, just sand the bar off and away we go.
Dave

openboater
08-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I use a Black and Decker 18 v nailer for 18 ga brads. works fine for the 18 ga Raptor brads. My nailer won't take the shortest Raptor brads (7/16).

I can only get the raptor brads to penetrate plywood and softwoods including Doug fir. the 1 inch brads penetrate totally. Oak is a no-go.

I got some sample 15 ga nails from raptor and have yet to find a cordless nailer they will fit . I'm still looking.

Give them a call on their 800 #, they are very friendly, and ship promptly.

Carlsboats
08-21-2011, 05:41 PM
We've been through this before on the Forum, several times, and yes, the composite staples and brads are entirely satisfactory. It's a well developed technology. The Raptor people in Texas can take you through it. They can specify a new gun for you, but they also told me which older guns on the market would take their plastic staples, and which would not. They were really helpful to me, and even rebuilt a gun for me at low cost. I have used both their staples and nails with no problems.

Clinton B Chase
08-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Just finished a strip built boat at Wooden Boat School with Raptor staples and nails. They are excellent wherever you want to leave the fastener in the wood. Best way to remove is with some 80 grit on a random orbital. The heads buzz right off. For the hood ends of strips we fired in 2-3 brads and let them sink below the cedar, filled with putty later.

Clint