PDA

View Full Version : So, give me the worst that will happen now?

skipper68
08-08-2011, 09:20 PM
I expect TD, Dutch, and anyone else. HOW will this effect me and my kids? I need to brace them, No tires? No food? Give me the worst them liying bastages are going to do to MY family?Just a request.:o

Mrleft8
08-08-2011, 09:22 PM
You could fall off the edge of the world....

Keith Wilson
08-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Keep breathing. Mark/TD has predicted 33,974 of the last five major disasters, and Dutch has predicted the other 866. "It's not that bad" doesn't sell papers, but it's almost always true. The worst that could happen is pretty awful; the worst that probably will happen, not nearly so bad.

Mark will now post some predictable insults.

skipper68
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
http://forum.woodenboat.com/image.php?u=749&dateline=1236311666 (http://forum.woodenboat.com/member.php?749-Keith-Wilson) Keith Wilson (http://forum.woodenboat.com/member.php?749-Keith-Wilson)
http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/statusicon/user-online.png Trying to be reasonable Thanks.......UGH....I just don't want them all moving back home!!!LOL

TerryLL
08-08-2011, 09:42 PM
You're safe. Stay out of the cities. Grow a garden. Be as self-sufficient as you can be. You may not need it, but those are good skills to have.

Barry
08-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Depends, have you prepared them for anything. Can they do their own dishes, can they cook?
Can they get along, are they willing to work. Is your household a "Communist Household". Mine was, I can do anything and willingly so.
I love and respect my parents for that. But they were just blue collar,democrat, liberal, Catholics, who actually believed in America and their kids, as well.

Mrleft8
08-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Kinda late in the year to be planting a garden.....

skipper68
08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes, Yes and Yes. I am not concerned of them coming aboard, but how can they keep their homes and jobs. Them grandkids love grandpa sooo much, with that hotrod golf cart. Food and shelter is a question, Cat and dog catch more fish than the Capt.!!LOL

Barry
08-08-2011, 10:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCvSntOI5s

hokiefan
08-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Keith has it about right I believe. Life will go on, the world won't fall apart. Some people lost a bunch of money today. The fact that I lost enough to concern me means I'm lucky to have a bit. Its annoying that it could have been avoided, but with just a bit of luck we'll work through the current mess to stress about a new one.

My daughter called me this weekend in tears, stressed over an argument with her mom. I told her to, "Take a deep breath." Its not earth-shattering advice but it worked for her, and I offer it to you. Sleep well. That's where I'm off to.

Cheers,

Bobby

Barry
08-08-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCvSntOI5s

or this: http://www.myspace.com/music/player

Minnesnowtan
08-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Nope, you can plant tomatoes and peppers inside, you do not need an insect pollinator for those.

RichKrough
08-08-2011, 11:18 PM
No mushroom clouds over Albany, My Easy Pass worked on the Thruway and DMV sent my registration renewal on time

Only people who lost money today were those who sold in a panic. October of 1987 was worse , Dow (for example) lost around 22% in one day. As did then The Stock Market will be on the upswing again in a few days or weeks. The secret to equities is simple ,buy low, sell high, rinse repeat.

My advice is to enjoy Life, Put doom and gloom dipshi+s like Dutch and Tylerdurden on ignore, and if someone tells you they are Tea Party supporters give them what you gave that guy at Little League ;)

Canoeyawl
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
"Don't turn paper losses into real losses"
This will be a buying opportunity

skipper68
08-08-2011, 11:26 PM
I am SOOO tempted to sell REAL stuff....silver, ya, na, gold-REAL, Hummm, Gems, kinda sorta...

Arizona Bay
08-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Why would you want that? :D
If you look for the worst, you'll find the worst. Like draws like.

I'm looking for the best, don't know or care what the 'best' is, but that's what I'll get!

Maybe
Once upon the time there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically.
“Maybe,” the farmer replied.
The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed.
“Maybe,” replied the old man.
The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.
“Maybe,” answered the farmer.
The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.
“Maybe,” said the farmer.

Waddie
08-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Keith is right that being reasonable doesn't sell the news.

Right now the market is looking to price stocks where the price of the stock is reasonable for the earnings it will bring in over the next year. Investors obviously feel that we are in for another recession of some type, and earnings will be lower. The more investors believe the recession will be worse/longer lasting, the lower the market will go. It will eventually find a bottom.

Big corporations and even small businesses are sitting on record amounts of cash, so this dip in stocks isn't like last time. They have the money to pay dividends, and they already did the belt tightening and layoffs, so they are in a much better place this downturn.

What you should probably plan for in this day and age isn't total collapse of civilization, but temporary shortages and/or outages.

Keep about a months worth of food stocked.
Keep about a weeks worth of water. (I fill empty 2 liter bottles and store them in the fridge--helps the fridge run more efficiently,too)
Have a good, "complete for your needs" first aid kit.
Keep about a months worth of cash on hand--even under the mattress.
Have a way to heat/light you home for about 2 weeks to a month.
Keep a firearm if you are inclined and trained.

There are many sites on the net that can be useful for this kind of info. Just remember, temporary problems can be prepared for, and they are the most likely.

regards,
Waddie

Tylerdurden
08-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Smartest move you can make right now. Waddie is right that you should lay up supplies in defense of disruptions. If we do get to collapse of the empire and the dollar it will be far worse than the depression.
My biggest concerns will be loss of liberty, war and famine that results. We can survive a dollar collapse but not what I feel is the most dangerous threat of all and that is the usual naysayers waking up to reality and calling for some cult of personality to save them because they were too near sighted to take care of themselves. You can see how the previous group latched on to Bushco besides all the information and once again with Obama. No rational explanation for their dedication to blindness other than fear.
Forget fashion and follow the brave because every time before in history it was the brave who led people to safety, not the fashionable.
I have no fear in this because the moral side wins in the end, these days of the usurer will end and those that support it will end with them.

I really enjoyed Keith's response. He has no shame Like Norman and counts on you not going back to say 07' and reading what he had to say about me and what I had to say then. They can battle me on the minutia but not the trend. That direction hasn't changed on bit.

PeterSibley
08-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Why would you want that? :D
If you look for the worst, you'll find the worst. Like draws like.

I'm looking for the best, don't know or care what the 'best' is, but that's what I'll get!

Maybe
Once upon the time there was an old farmer who had worked his crops for many years. One day his horse ran away. Upon hearing the news, his neighbors came to visit. “Such bad luck,” they said sympathetically.
“Maybe,” the farmer replied.
The next morning the horse returned, bringing with it three other wild horses. “How wonderful,” the neighbors exclaimed.
“Maybe,” replied the old man.
The following day, his son tried to ride one of the untamed horses, was thrown, and broke his leg. The neighbors again came to offer their sympathy on his misfortune.
“Maybe,” answered the farmer.
The day after, military officials came to the village to draft young men into the army. Seeing that the son’s leg was broken, they passed him by. The neighbors congratulated the farmer on how well things had turned out.
“Maybe,” said the farmer.

I like that !

ishmael
08-09-2011, 05:36 AM
I sense a shift underway. How major depends on how we react. Could it get ugly? It could.

I don't sense the doom some do, but having a bit of food stashed never hurts--except when you go to eat it. Freeze dried stores kinda suck.

Impending apocalypse has been a minor industry since Christ was a cadet.

bob winter
08-09-2011, 06:07 AM
I don't think the losses in the market, as such, will have any effect on the average person. The market, as far as I can see is irrational. It is driven by fear and greed. The fearful have decided to take some losses and the greedy have decided to take advantage of that.

The thing that will impact the average citizen is the job losses that will result from the recent stupidity in Congress. A lot depends on what Congress can manage in the future to address some of the basic issues confronting the United States. I hope they can get their act together but I don't think there is much danger of the present Congress ever being able to to that. Maybe your upcoming elections this fall will have a positive effect.

Tylerdurden
08-09-2011, 06:22 AM
Well if it's all about jobs how far do we have to go to recover at the actual 23% unemployment we have not the heavily doctored 9.2?

Alternate Unemployment Charts The seasonally-adjusted SGS Alternate Unemployment Rate reflects current unemployment reporting methodology adjusted for SGS-estimated long-term discouraged workers, who were defined out of official existence in 1994. That estimate is added to the BLS estimate of U-6 unemployment, which includes short-term discouraged workers.

The U-3 unemployment rate is the monthly headline number. The U-6 unemployment rate is the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ (BLS) broadest unemployment measure, including short-term discouraged and other marginally-attached workers as well as those forced to work part-time because they cannot find full-time employment.
Unemployment Data Series http://www.shadowstats.com/imgs/s2.gif(Subscription required.) View (http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/download_emp?mode=text) Download Excel CSV File (http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/download_emp) Last Updated: August 5th, 2011

http://www.shadowstats.com/imgs/sgs-emp.gif?hl=ad&t=1312554111

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

It always can look wonderful through rose colored glasses.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
08-09-2011, 06:29 AM
The worst? Tomorrow's Test Match at Edgebaston gets cancelled because of pressure on police due to riots.

Luckily, it won't happen:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/14454137.stm

(they can cancel football for ever so far as I am concerned)

TANSTAF1
08-09-2011, 06:50 AM
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, but don't go spending a pound. I think there's still plenty of time before we get into a situation like Greece, but unlike Greece there is no one big enough to bail us out so if or when it comes it may be a biggie.

Waddie
08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Well, Skipper, do you feel better about the economy today? The sky didn't fall after all.

regards,
Waddie

Tylerdurden
08-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, Skipper, do you feel better about the economy today? The sky didn't fall after all.

regards,
Waddie

Yeah it did. Monster interventions in every market on every continent. I have pointed out each time the lift gets shorter and the period gets shorter. Soon they will have no effect at all. Like today's rise check the volume. It wasn't investors but instead algorithm's playing with monopoly money. Don't think so, just stand by.

Waddie
08-09-2011, 04:27 PM
TD, being a doom and gloomer is like having a security blanket....you never have to be disappointed because you always expect the worst. However, I wouldn't want to live in your world. The dark side is too depressing.

On a more practical note, any boob can see that we are in for some rough times ahead, and anyone can predict a struggling global economy. That requires no talent at all.

If you really do have this all figured out, in your estimate, exactly when is civilization going to collapse? At least the Mayans gave us an exact date.

regards,
Waddie

Tylerdurden
08-10-2011, 05:55 AM
TD, being a doom and gloomer is like having a security blanket....you never have to be disappointed because you always expect the worst. However, I wouldn't want to live in your world. The dark side is too depressing.

On a more practical note, any boob can see that we are in for some rough times ahead, and anyone can predict a struggling global economy. That requires no talent at all.

If you really do have this all figured out, in your estimate, exactly when is civilization going to collapse? At least the Mayans gave us an exact date.

regards,
Waddie

I am not Doom an Gloom. If you know something is terribly wrong its optimism to want change to come quickly. You may be happy and comfortable in your life but the majority worldwide are not. I am under the belief that their system like every other Fiat system is doomed to failure and the reason why bankers and those in power like fiat systems so much is that during every turn they consolidate power through debt slavery, The usury we were warned about in documents as late as the Magna Carta. I am under the belief that anyone understanding this system we live under, anyone who fights for it to continue as it is indeed a pessimist to the majority of humanity at large for the sake of their own benefit. No lower animal than that. This system will collapse, it is inevitable and coming like a freight train as interventions come faster and faster and get less effective each time. I felt it would come much sooner than it has as I underestimated the overwhelming amount of lies and deceptions educated people would tolerate. It's changing now as mass movements and riots break out right now around the world. We have reached critical mass and the only thing left is when the levee finally breaks. That is anyone's guess beside the seer's and I have no such ability. I am a simple man. In comparison to many here I am just a simple man who can see past the propaganda. I think the next two weeks will present a time line as to how rapidly this will go with the understanding it could slowly slide down or break into a tsunami. It's anyone's guess. My only wish it to wake as many up to prepare as best they can as soon as they can. There is no evil intent in that, just the opposite.

Waddie
08-10-2011, 01:25 PM
TD, out of the chaos will be two people exchanging goods based on their agreed value. That is capitalism. Pretty soon someone will come up with the idea of using gold and silver as a medium of exchange, and that is banking. Capitalism isn't going away.

Capitalism is nothing if not flexible and adaptable. It is also given to excess. But the excesses tend to be self-correcting, as we are seeing right now. It is a rough and tumble system, with great fluctuations. If it crashes it will rise again in a possibly different form and eventually lead to excess again, as that's the pattern. Our challenge is to minimize the lows and highs.

When I was a young man back in the early 70"s and very much the liberal hippie, I thought my generation was going to change the world. We would see an end to capitalistic greed, consumerism, and after "Silent Spring", would save the planet.

Then I saw a bank cheque with a Peace symbol emblazoned on it in the upper corner, and I knew Capitalism had co-opted the movement. That is the power of Capitalism--it simply integrates all competing ideas.

I don't know what you think is coming, but it won't be the end of Capitalism.

PS. I do like some of your posts and thread topics. Some are very interesting, while others really stir the pot....:) Others--not so much....

regards,
Waddie

Tylerdurden
08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks Waddie, there is a method to my madness. In the end I hope it becomes clear though it won't matter one bit.

ishmael
08-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Mark,

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that push came to shove. Times were dire, people out of work, food a costant worry. I sense this would bring out our better angels.

TANSTAF1
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Haven't you ever read "Lord of the Flies?"

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I expressed this on another thread and it goes directly to what we are witnessing worldwide. Wild uncontrollable swings in every market with massive interventions occurring causing the swings to get wilder still. In flying we call that a PIO or Pilot induced oscillation. It ends with the airframe coming apart in mid air and the inevitable result of impact with the ground. One has a few seconds to ponder their actions in between. We have to figure out when those few seconds will occur.

TANSTAF1
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Sooner rather than later the can cannot be kicked any further down the road and the chickens will come home to roost.. Keep your powder dry. I personally feel we have a few months. I hope so as I could use some more prep time.

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Sooner rather than later the can cannot be kicked any further down the road and the chickens will come home to roost.. Keep your powder dry. I personally feel we have a few months. I hope so as I could use some more prep time.

Clampdown coming. Bigtime. Already happening In GB land as reports indicate Cameron has shut down social media. Its all part of the plan. Conplan 3052 that is.

TANSTAF1
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Nah, just PAW

Gerarddm
08-11-2011, 11:20 AM
It depends on just how long your worldview is.

If you were in Rome when it was sacked in 410 AD by the Visigoths, it sucked to be you. If you waited a thousand years, you get the Renaissance.

Fictionally, was it better that the Empire fell in order to give rise to The Foundation/Second Foundation? Issac Asimov said yes.

On the other hand, perhaps his Nightfall is more to TylderDs dystopian leanings.

skipper68
08-11-2011, 11:23 AM
That was my question. Shutting down social media,China style. We found non ethanol gas, and with the dry gas, should hold up for quite a while.Were to the end of our Non/E fill up 3 years ago. Thats a better feeling.Might not sound so thrilling, but with that and the gen set, we should be OK if worst comes t worst. Anchor out......

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
That was my question. Shutting down social media,China style. We found non ethanol gas, and with the dry gas, should hold up for quite a while.Were to the end of our Non/E fill up 3 years ago. Thats a better feeling.Might not sound so thrilling, but with that and the gen set, we should be OK if worst comes t worst. Anchor out......

I have been party to some incredible and complex survival plans and one thing I know from spending time in countries that have gone through similar is two things. All plans fail without the ability to adapt quickly and you only own what you can carry. Mental preparation means a whole lot more than anything else.

skipper68
08-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Or what can carry you;) Fuel has been a major aggravation to me. Too many problems with the ethanol. Too many boats towed in and blowing up. That's why we have conserved what we had.If ours lasted 3 years, we know the next will hold up. We have never kept fuel that long before. We did treat it tho.

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
It's a me thing Phillip. :)

TANSTAF1
08-11-2011, 12:10 PM
if you are worried about ethanol, go here:

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

I haven't tried it. I just read about it on another board.

I think you need to think a little outside the box (or your boat) though. Let's say your fuel is good for 3 years. What are you going to eat for those 3 years? Do you have 3 years food on board? What are you going to do after 3 years?

Michael D. Storey
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
You're safe. Stay out of the cities. Grow a garden. Be as self-sufficient as you can be. You may not need it, but those are good skills to have.
Sound advice. I would add,
1. teach such ethics to your children
2. pay off debt.
3. Live within your means
4. Save.

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Sound advice. I would add,
1. teach such ethics to your children
2. pay off debt.
3. Live within your means
4. Save.

5. Make sure your spelling and grammar are exact or god forbid the Anal retentive will fail to understand you. :)

Michael D. Storey
08-11-2011, 01:10 PM
some things never change

interesting that you capitalized 'Anal' and not 'god'. Is there a message here?

Ted Hoppe
08-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Sound advice. I would add, 1. teach such ethics to your children2. pay off debt.3. Live within your means4. Save. Those are outdated notions. If our recent history has shown:
1). Ethics is for the crying preacher - as your neighbor could give a rats behind for you.
2. Debts are something for the next generation to deal with. Incorporated debt is best - that way you get the left over assets.
3. Live as you please, elevate your comfort and take as much as you can.
4. Debt is good as long as you can pay the rollover. if it affects rule number 3 then use rule number 2.
5. Demand only the best because someone has to have it... It might as well be you.

It works because those who practice this are revered in this society as successful.

TANSTAF1
08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Yes, I was wondering why he started points 4 and 5 with capital letters and the other two with lower case. And then there also is the questions of a comma versus a colon and why points 2 and 4 have periods but 1 ans 3 do not. JK.

Amazingly, despite all this I was able to understand him.

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Yes, I was wondering why he started points 4 and 5 with capital letters and the other two with lower case. And then there also is the questions of a comma versus a colon and why points 2 and 4 have periods but 1 ans 3 do not. JK.

Amazingly, despite all this I was able to understand him.

If you cannot argue resort to spelling and grammar. :)

Fact is if one is so easily controlled by conventional norms how can they be expected to think outside the box?

Tylerdurden
08-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Chucking you tube links back and forth with my daughter and this came across. Seems appropriate.

"Army Of Me"

stand up
you've got to manage
i won't sympathize
anymore

and if you complain once more
you'll meet an army of me

you're allright
there's nothing wrong
self-sufficience please!
and get to work

and if you complain once more