PDA

View Full Version : When Is It Time To Admit You Have A Drinking Problem?

seanz
08-07-2011, 10:16 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/5404909/Pressure-valve-medics-patch-up-nights-drunks

Probably when a city has to set up a triage for the drunks........

Not a bad idea, really. Just a bit sad.

In an attempt to free up frontline ambulance services and relieve pressure on the hospital's emergency department, Wellington Free Ambulance has set up a triage centre in Courtenay Place.

Friday was the first night of an eight- week trial to see if the approach will work. At 9.30pm, eight medics are gathered for a briefing. It hasn't been a smooth start two cars are parked in the clearly reserved ambulance space, so the team has had to set up the medical tent further up the street.
Wellington Free Ambulance manager Robert Ives says medics will be sent on patrol in pairs, watching for disorder and attending to minor incidents. "Anything that looks like it needs more than a plaster and a sick bag will be brought back here."
If the patient is more serious, one of the 12 frontline ambulances will be called to take them to hospital.

Mrleft8
08-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Doesn't say anything about drinking, or drunks.

Dutch
08-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Doesn't say anything about drinking, or drunks.

YOU must be drunk

'Pressure valve' medics patch up night's drunksMICHELLE DUFF

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1312709333/772/5404772.jpg CRAIG SIMCOX
FUN'S OVER: Craig Shepherd and Amanda Weaver take a near-comatose drunk woman to their triage centre in Courtenay Place.

Health

The woman's legs are splayed as she sits slumped in a Blair St doorway. The medics work quickly, lifting the barely responsive drunk on to a stretcher and strapping her in. One of them holds a sick bag in his hand, but it's really too late for that.
A man half-falls out of a bar a couple of doors up, and performs a robot dance through the group of medics. No-one laughs. "Man, have a bit of fun," he mumbles, wandering off.
It's Friday and midnight, witching hour in central Wellington. The pubs in Courtenay Place are full, and revellers spill on to the street.
Many are drunk, most are young.
"Sprawling children," St James Theatre front of house manager Bob Foote had referred to them earlier. Working the bar at the theatre, he sees them stumbling past, fighting, passing out.
Calling the ambulance to stop them choking on their own vomit and patch up their wounds is not out of the ordinary. On any given Friday and Saturday night, emergency services will get about 20 callouts to the Courtenay Place area.
Some patients will require a trip to hospital, but others have more minor injuries – mostly from falling over – and can be treated at the scene.
In an attempt to free up frontline ambulance services and relieve pressure on the hospital's emergency department, Wellington Free Ambulance has set up a triage centre in Courtenay Place.
Friday was the first night of an eight- week trial to see if the approach will work. At 9.30pm, eight medics are gathered for a briefing. It hasn't been a smooth start – two cars are parked in the clearly reserved ambulance space, so the team has had to set up the medical tent further up the street.
Wellington Free Ambulance manager Robert Ives says medics will be sent on patrol in pairs, watching for disorder and attending to minor incidents. "Anything that looks like it needs more than a plaster and a sick bag will be brought back here."
If the patient is more serious, one of the 12 frontline ambulances will be called to take them to hospital.
"What usually happens is we come down lights and sirens, and it's not a lights and sirens job. It's usually people in various states of drunkeness."
Five minutes into the patrol, event medics Hannah Butcher and Nigel Watson get the first call. A performer in the circus show Soap has collapsed at St James Theatre. We are quickly ushered backstage. The female comedian made it through the high-energy show, but now has severe back pain. The medics assess her condition before deciding she needs to be seen by a doctor.
Then there's a call to Molly Malones pub, where a woman has had a seizure and fainted three times in the space of a few minutes. The medics tend to her on the steps, before calling an ambulance.
An elderly man has presented himself at the tent with dizziness, chest pains and shooting pains in his left arm, and wonders if he needs help. Yes, the medics agree.
Ad Feedback (http://forum.woodenboat.com/about-stuff/advertising-feedback/?pos=STORYBODY&adsize=300x250&area=s.stuff)
http://b.scorecardresearch.com/p?c1=8&c2=6035179&c3=1&c4=49440&c5=154429&c6=&cv=1.3&cj=1&rn=538563258http://tags.bluekai.com/site/4318
[close]
Adconion (http://www.adconion.com/us/privacy-policy.html) delivered this advertisement.

Learn more (http://preferences.truste.com/preference.html?affiliateId=40) about your privacy and the benefits of online advertising.

AdChoices by http://privacy-policy.truste.com/ads/logo/TRUSTe_logo.png (http://www.truste.com/)

http://choices.truste.com/assets/admarker.png

It's now close to midnight. Drunks are weaving down the street; a teenage girl trips in her high heels, and is shakily held between two male friends. Mr Watson hands a sick bag to a young man sitting outside St James Theatre, head between his legs. A passer-by shakes Mr Watson's hand.
"Good work bro, you deserve a medal," he says.
But at the medical tent, a man in his early 20s is kicking at the side flap. He reels away, then returns to kick it some more. A little later, a middle-aged man staggers up confrontationally. "What the f... are you doing here," he slurs. "I've never seen anything like it."
A medic is called to help a young woman who has fallen and is bleeding. But before she can be helped, she scrambles up and runs away.
Meanwhile, paddy wagons have appeared, and police are struggling to arrest an aggressive drunk. "You're arresting me and I'm the one who got assaulted," he yells.
The woman from the Blair St doorway has been given glucose and other fluids to try to sober her up. She is a diabetic, which makes being so drunk even more dangerous. The fluid replacement doesn't work, and she is taken to hospital.
It's nearing 2am, and an agitated woman walks up to the tent saying she is on anti-psychotic medication, has been downing zambuca shots and "feels weird". The medics check her, and she is found to be fine.
The night is drawing to a close and Mr Ives calls it a success. There were eight patients in all, four of whom had to go to hospital – a taste of what the team expects during the Rugby World Cup.
- The Dominion Post

David G
08-07-2011, 10:55 PM
When you discover there's no more cold beer. THAT'S a problem.

Dutch
08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
When you discover there's no more cold beer. THAT'S a problem.

I drink my beer at room temp- what ever that may be for the time of year- usually mixed with tomato juice- as a red eye- if Ive dug any clams recently their broth goes into the mix with the juice and a few spices - that is some tasty drinking and light on the alcohol - nothing better on a Sunday morn

ishmael
08-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Getting into trouble with any substance has remarkable similarities. Heroin, coke, alcohol, you name it. I've known casual users, and I've known addicts.

When it causes issues in your financial, interpersonal, spiritual relations you have a problem.

A common mistake is to assume that anyone who likes to use now and then has a problem. I've known people who liked to smoke a joint now and then, and it wasn't an issue. I've also known people who woke up in the morning reaching for a drink, or a pipe. Now we have a problem, and the dividing line isn't clear.

Ultimately it comes back to the individual. Is this a problem? Only the person can answer that.

David G
08-07-2011, 11:31 PM
I drink my beer at room temp- what ever that may be for the time of year- usually mixed with tomato juice- as a red eye- if Ive dug any clams recently their broth goes into the mix with the juice and a few spices - that is some tasty drinking and light on the alcohol - nothing better on a Sunday morn

I do the same - except the beer's gonna be cold. Don't like drinking much of anything tepid. Hot or cold.

purri
08-08-2011, 12:49 AM
pissed az bro...

skipper68
08-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Unbeliveable. In NY, it is against the law for a bar tender to serve anyone visibly drunk. They can be arrested.They even take classes.Who takes the responsibility for over serving these people? Some one has to be in control of the zombies.

Mrleft8
08-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Just because they didn't mention you by name is no reason to get pissy, dude.:D

DougSorry. Link was slow, so I just read the C&P... My mistake. I know I wasn't drunk, maybe the mold spores are to blame.....That's it! I'm addicted to mildew and mold!

S.V. Airlie
08-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Unbeliveable. In NY, it is against the law for a bar tender to serve anyone visibly drunk. They can be arrested.They even take classes.Who takes the responsibility for over serving these people? Some one has to be in control of the zombies. Not only arrested but lose their liquor lic. Also, it there is an accident involving a drunk who was served at the bar, I think there is some liability attached.

Tylerdurden
08-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Unbeliveable. In NY, it is against the law for a bar tender to serve anyone visibly drunk. They can be arrested.They even take classes.Who takes the responsibility for over serving these people? Some one has to be in control of the zombies.

People need to take responsibility for themselves. Kinda sick of all the nanny state stuff. If your a reformed alcoholic or drug addict do I need to congratulate you for being stupid in the first place? I think not. Drink yourselves to death if you want its your right to live as you wish. If you injure others on your stupid quest pay the price yourself. The reformed are not special and never have been and there is no reason I should have to look out for you or take care of you. I certainly don't respect you. The ambulance services need to keep in mind if some clown did it to themselves and there is someone else in need who didn't cause their issue then throw the drunk out the back and go tend to the other. It not first come first served in that instance.

skipper68
08-08-2011, 07:50 AM
That's one I could never understand. A drug addict reforms, then gets a government job as a drug counclr?? I know most that I have met ARE NOT reformed. Same with probation officers. They sit in a bar drinking, looking to bust their court ordered" customers".(Rolling eyes)

Tylerdurden
08-08-2011, 07:55 AM
That's one I could never understand. A drug addict reforms, then gets a government job as a drug counclr?? I know most that I have met ARE NOT reformed. Same with probation officers. They sit in a bar drinking, looking to bust their court ordered" customers".(Rolling eyes)

Yep, that's the scam alright.

skuthorp
08-08-2011, 07:58 AM
There are laws about serving drunks here, and laws re serving minors. But when the owner of the bar is represented by a QC the magistrate goes easy and he keeps his licence, again. So now the drunk comes up, represented if at all by the duty solicitor, it's a different story.

skipper68
08-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Here, if your stupid enough to get drunk, and drive, they can arrest the bartender for your condition. Drunks don't have the common sense to say enough, that's the bartenders job.. If their are injury's involved,or worst, fatalitys, the bar is also liable. Same with a house party. BUT your car insurance wont cover your injury's or any claims on your cars damage. This alone shows how dumb drunks can be.

S.V. Airlie
08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
They may have the common sense not to drive if they were sober. But, I suspect that common sense goes out the window fairly quickly after a few. How many people inhale three double scotches and think they are sober and can drive? My perspective is, not many.

Mrleft8
08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Also shows how scummy insurance companies are. It's not the innocent victim's fault, why shouldn't insurance companies pay out? Because the person they accepted payments from drank too much? Seems they ought to check their customers' BAC every evening if that's the case.

S.V. Airlie
08-08-2011, 08:20 AM
In MD, there are two lic. given out by DMV. One is a frontal photo which most get automatically. The other one is a side view. I noticed that on some guy's lic one time and asked him why it was a side view. He responded that he had been caught drinking and driving. I'm not sure if it is effective as most bar tenders check if one is over 21, but if he checks IDs., may be it does. This lic. would apply to anyone of drinking age and checking ID might be effective with the younger ( barely of drinking age) drinkers such as college students. Might be a heads up to bartenders.

skipper68
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
It's not the innocent victim's fault, why shouldn't insurance companies pay out? The insurance WILL pay for them, up to the limit, but not YOU, if your the drunk driver. The bar and/or homeowners will be sued for additional $$ if the insurance limits arn't enough, or the drunk wasn't licensed (Very common for replete offenders.) All NY insured drivers have to carry insurance for non insured drivers.

Mrleft8
08-08-2011, 08:34 AM
In MD, there are two lic. given out by DMV. One is a frontal photo which most get automatically. The other one is a side view. I noticed that on some guy's lic one time and asked him why it was a side view. He responded that he had been caught drinking and driving. I'm not sure if it is effective as most bar tenders check if one is over 21, but if he checks IDs., may be it does. This lic. would apply to anyone of drinking age and checking ID might be effective with the younger ( barely of drinking age) drinkers such as college students. Might be a heads up to bartenders. The side view is for cops, not bartenders. This way if a cop pulls you over for a dead tail light, when he sees your D/L he knows to look more closely for signs of drinking. CT has a little bump pressed into the D/L corner for the same reason. When you hand your D/L to the cop, he can feel the bump.

S.V. Airlie
08-08-2011, 08:36 AM
I borrowed my parents car..a station wagon. Actually a diesel piglet, to take some stuff to Cooperstown. Late one night, I stpped at the local pub to chat. Yes, I had one beer but I wanted to head home as it was late and I was tired from the trip and unloading stuff into the house. I walked out of the pub, and saw a note on the winschield. The note was from the Chief of Police telling me that my car had been fronted ended by the *very drunk son of the Local Principle at the high school. Of course, I realized it right away as the entire front in had been driven back into the cockpit. Appears the kid missed the flagpole in the center of town, ran into my car which was forced into a 1961, redone,Volvo and a 1955 Chevy named Gertrude. The guy split the scene. Got to the corner and stopped at the stop sign at which time, his headlights fell out. Continued on his way, but was caught by the local enforcement guys. On his arrest, he told them that he was looking for them as he thought he had hit a car. Because of that, he was not charged with a hit and run. Now I have no idea how much liability he had. I'm sure it did not cover the damage to the extent it should have. Perhaps my parents,it was their car, got something, but not much. The car, actually two out of the three were totaled. I do know that the Volvo behind me got basically zilch. It was based on the blue book value as it had not gotten "Antique" plates on it at the time.*

skipper68
08-08-2011, 08:39 AM
asked him why it was a side view. He responded that he had been caught drinking and driving. GREAT IDEA! My daughter tends bar PT, and had an over served customer come in. (She knew him)She took his keys, and sobered him up while waiting for her shift to end.She was dropping him off home on her way.When she was closing, he wasn't in bad shape. He said he had to get his STATE issued cell out of his truck. She gave him the door key, and didn't see him again. He was arrested for OPENING his truck door. 'Intent to drive" they called it. (She got the charges dropped by showing she had the ignition key)At the same time, the police were caught marking tires with chalk that glowed up in the dark. If a car went by and showed the marked tire, they found an excuse to pull them over. Then DWI'd them. Tried it on me. Pulled me over, as my car was at a bar for a few hours. I had come to get my husband home after a retirement party. Lied and said I didn't signal. I passed the DWI drunk dance with flying colors, but the cops were busted on the chalk entrapment.

S.V. Airlie
08-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Skipper the side view might work at liquor stores that require ID to buy booze. If someone comes in at 8AM and the proprietor looks at his ID, and sees a side view of the person on his lic., he might find an excuse for serving him especially at 8AM.

wow..The "*s" are gone..:)

Y Bar Ranch
08-08-2011, 09:14 AM
This is a good sign...

http://thewinoandiknow.typepad.com/.a/6a01348593c738970c01538fb4eb69970b-800wi

skipper68
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
**** **, * **** ** ***!!!!